Yaya Sanogo

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Yaya Sanogo

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Player profile: who is Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo?

Arsenal fans were left lamenting the Gunners’ failure to bring in a big-name striker over the transfer window - but could forgotten youngster Yaya Sanogo be the man to ease their attacking worries and banish thoughts of Draxler, Costa et al?

Arsenal are still fighting on three fronts, and with Olivier Giroud and Nicklas Bendtner the only first-team forwards in Arsene Wenger’s armoury, the manager looks set to turn to the 23-year-old Frenchman to spread the attacking workload, handing him an FA Cup start against Liverpool. But what can Gunners fans expect from Sanogo?

At first glance, Sanogo looks like an archetypal physical target man. Standing 6 foot 3 tall with a hulking physique to match, the former Auxerre striker calls to mind the likes of Romelu Lukaku and Christian Benteke. But appearances can be deceiving.

Yes, Sanogo is quick and strong – but there’s also a much subtler side to his game. He has an excellent first touch and silky technical skills, honed at childhood club CO Les Ulis in Paris, Thierry Henry’s alma mater, where five-a-side practice matches are the norm.

European football expert Sam Tighe says Sanogo plays “an odd, hybrid forward game”, equally adept at hanging on the defender’s shoulder in search of a ball over the top or dropping deep to receive possession – from where he can use his explosive power to burst past his man.

Most importantly, Sanogo is a prolific marksman. In his last (injury-hit) season with Auxerre, he notched ten goals in 13 games, and he has also scored 34 times in 56 games for France’s various youth teams. He can finish with composure in one-on-one situations, and also possesses a thunderous strike that can trouble goalkeepers from further out.

So what are Sanogo’s weaknesses? The most obvious charge against him is his brittle fitness. In 2010 he suffered a double leg-break while playing for Auxerre reserves, and since then he has been dogged by injuries and has never completed a full season of regular football. In this respect he has drawn unflattering comparisons with another Auxerre alumnus, Arsenal team-mate Abou Diaby.

In their article on Sanogo, French Football Weekly posed the question that may define his success at the highest level: “Has his technique survived these long periods of inactivity at such an important stage of his development?”

Despite his excellent ability to get into goalscoring positions, Sanogo can also tend to drop too deep on occasion, sometimes compromising his menacing penalty-box presence in his efforts to link up with his midfielders.

Sanogo might be raw and unproven, but he is still in the early stages of his development, and Arsene Wenger, a man who knows a thing or two about identifying young Gallic talent, is clearly seduced by his ability to cause havoc in the opposition’s box.

If he comes through his FA Cup baptism of fire with those credentials intact, Yaya Sanogo might just have a crucial support role to play in Arsenal’s quest for that long-awaited addition to their trophy cabinet.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 32065.html
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Re: Yaya Sanogo

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Don't like to harp on but I said the moment we got him that I can see this guy doing well.

He's got the height for one man up top, can win aerial balls, he's got fight in him, most importantly for me he's got a bit of pace and can travel with ball to feet.

This means he can get involved all over the pitch and make us a true 11 man team.

All he needs now is the goals, don't get me wrong I think he's still a season or so away from being what we need but I think he'll def get there.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Although he didn't score against Liverpool today, he chased down every ball and showed the right attitude. He is still raw but I have not been as impressed with him than I was today. Still plenty of room for improvement but again not a bad performance today
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He showed hunger and desire as well as good potential in one match which I applaud, however let's not put too much pressure on the kid. We still need to sign a striker who can consistently perform every game, and someone for him to learn from.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:08 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He showed hunger and desire as well as good potential in one match which I applaud, however let's not put too much pressure on the kid. We still need to sign a striker who can consistently perform every game, and someone for him to learn from.

SANOGO IS GOAT
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:11 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He showed hunger and desire as well as good potential in one match which I applaud, however let's not put too much pressure on the kid. We still need to sign a striker who can consistently perform every game, and someone for him to learn from.

We've all agreed he's raw ......... as you would be for your first Arsenal start at his age.

But the attitude is there, he's a little feisty and I like that in a striker, def not scared to win the ball .............. and can dribble the ball. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anyway yes he needs time, think we all know that.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Agreed, but Wenger didn't bring in any strikers in January which already suggests that we might see a lot more of him this season.

Is Sanogo a good enough backup to see us through this half of the season and see us lift a trophy by the end of the season? If he stays fit could he go from strength to strength and become a vital player for us this season? I mean he did hold his own against experienced CBs in Agger and Skrtl after just recovering from injury
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Mexal » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:26 pm

I thought Sanogo played well today but I'm not even close to rating him yet. I need to see a lot more.
Mexal
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:27 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

We've all agreed he's raw ......... as you would be for your first Arsenal start at his age.

But the attitude is there, he's a little feisty and I like that in a striker, def not scared to win the ball .............. and can dribble the ball. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anyway yes he needs time, think we all know that.

I wouldn't be so sure about that last comment. Arsenal fans are probably the most guilty of praising a player to the heavens and then slagging him off very next game if he performs poorly.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LD2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Mexal wrote:I thought Sanogo played well today but I'm not even close to rating him yet. I need to see a lot more.

Exactly, today he showed he has the physical attributes that he needs to play the position but as an attacking threat he was basically anonymous. Only really 3 involvements around the area: the chest control and blocked shot that led to the goal and 2 fairly embarrassing air shots.

Until we have seen a fair bit more of him can't really judge which of those is more indicative of his skill set.
LD2
Liam Brady

Postby gooney » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:00 pm

So its fair to say bendtner has been making the bench because sanogo has been injured for months and now that sanogo is fit he cant even make the bench? The game against bayern will tell us alot
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Yaya Sanogo

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 pm

We still need a striker in the summer before Arsene goes getting any ideas!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Sanogo > Giroud
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Popey » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:27 pm

I fear sanogo is the new diaby...always injured but with a huge talent and will always play when fit...I really hope I'm wrong

he looked really good today. his style remembers me of adewantmore but a little bit more athletic. he's also fast for a big guy like him.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby GSK_AFC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Am I the only one who wasn't really impressed with him? He was only good physically, didn't show much potential in other areas.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Next

Return to World Football