World Cup 2014 Draw

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: World Cup 2014 Draw (updates on page 1)

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Leödy wrote:
ThereIsBearCüm wrote:
AZGooner wrote:USA in the group of death

Nah. One group has the two finalists from the previous tournament.

So?

The other two teams in that group have little to no chance of advancing, making it a rather easy group. There isn't really a "group of death" at all IMHO. A proper group of death is when all 4 are very evenly matched and all very good, or at least 3 of them. Like out CL group this season. (turns out OM was shit though)

The media will pick a group and label it the group of death though, because they need to hype something up.

I agree that it's not a proper group of death, but ESP/NED/CHL/AUS is more of a group of death than GER/POR/GHA/USA.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: World Cup 2014 Draw (updates on page 1)

Postby Popey » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:43 pm

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:
Leödy wrote:
ThereIsBearCüm wrote:
AZGooner wrote:USA in the group of death

Nah. One group has the two finalists from the previous tournament.

So?

The other two teams in that group have little to no chance of advancing, making it a rather easy group. There isn't really a "group of death" at all IMHO. A proper group of death is when all 4 are very evenly matched and all very good, or at least 3 of them. Like out CL group this season. (turns out OM was shit though)

The media will pick a group and label it the group of death though, because they need to hype something up.

I agree that it's not a proper group of death, but ESP/NED/CHL/AUS is more of a group of death than GER/POR/GHA/USA.

germany hasn't a group of dead IMO. ghana is so beatable for them, usa is not a bad team but again beatable. the only dangerous opponent is portugal IMO.

strongest group is england, italie, uruguay and costa rica IMO

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: World Cup 2014 Draw

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:45 pm

I think we can qualify for the knock-outs.

The Cup is still Germany's to lose though in my opinion.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Massa wrote:
CrimsönGunner11 wrote:My world cup prediction:

Group A - Brazil, Croatia
Group B - Spain, Chile
Group C - Colombia, Ivory Coast
Group D - Uruguay, England
Group E - France, Ecuador
Group F - Argentina, Nigeria
Group G - Germany, Portugal
Group H - Belgium, Russia

Brazil, Germany in the finals. Germany to win it via penalty shootout :sneaky:

Impossible for them to meet in the final

Really? I was watching ESPN and when the analysts were making their predictions they had the teams that advance from A face the teams that advances from B, the teams that advance from C face the teams from D, and so on.

If that's not the case then Argentina vs. Germany in the finals. Germany to win
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:20 pm

It is a case of A v B, C v D etc. in the second round so for example, England will be facing Japan or Ivory Coast in the second round when they win the group.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Trina » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:World Cup 2010 destroyed my patriotism for the national team, my desire to get emotionally involved with the team and motivation to be positive despite our never ending lack of style and class on the pitch. WC 2010 was where the England team proved once and for all that they only give a passing f*** about playing for England, including our big players and most especially our supposed best player Rooney (who has not turned up where it really counts since 2004 and will end his career with a goal record for England that will greatly mislead about his significance).

Take away the patriotic need to be more positive many fans and pundits look at our lack of style, our lack of ability to play good football in possession, our failure to reach Euro 2008, our woeful performance at WC 2010 and what can only be called a reasonable improvement since then and realise that we are only a 7/10 national team. Uruguay are an 8.5/10 team at the moment and Italy are a 7.5/10 team who know how to perform in big tournaments which gives them an automatic buff to 8 or 8.5/10. That is why I think a lot of people are pessimistic, we are a class down from those 2 teams.

Good post Rev.

Ive noticed as the years have gone by the lack of support from our fans. As frustrating as it is, is there any wonder when the players dont seem to give a shit and the gesture from the FA says what confidence they have too.

I remember being around 15/16 years old...so 17 years ago. Cant think which cup it was, but I remember being in a pub with my dad at 6am watching England. I remember we lost but the atmosphere was amazing and isn't like that anymore.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Dejan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26022314

Didn't realise Vela hadn't played for mexico since 2011, why is that?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 pm

Trina wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:World Cup 2010 destroyed my patriotism for the national team, my desire to get emotionally involved with the team and motivation to be positive despite our never ending lack of style and class on the pitch. WC 2010 was where the England team proved once and for all that they only give a passing f*** about playing for England, including our big players and most especially our supposed best player Rooney (who has not turned up where it really counts since 2004 and will end his career with a goal record for England that will greatly mislead about his significance).

Take away the patriotic need to be more positive many fans and pundits look at our lack of style, our lack of ability to play good football in possession, our failure to reach Euro 2008, our woeful performance at WC 2010 and what can only be called a reasonable improvement since then and realise that we are only a 7/10 national team. Uruguay are an 8.5/10 team at the moment and Italy are a 7.5/10 team who know how to perform in big tournaments which gives them an automatic buff to 8 or 8.5/10. That is why I think a lot of people are pessimistic, we are a class down from those 2 teams.

Good post Rev.

Ive noticed as the years have gone by the lack of support from our fans. As frustrating as it is, is there any wonder when the players dont seem to give a shit and the gesture from the FA says what confidence they have too.

I remember being around 15/16 years old...so 17 years ago. Cant think which cup it was, but I remember being in a pub with my dad at 6am watching England. I remember we lost but the atmosphere was amazing and isn't like that anymore.

Chin up mate.

wilshere
Gibbs
Ox
Sterling
Januzaj
Rodriguez
Lallana
Shaw
sturridge

Are just some of the names that hopefully wont be tainted by the old way of thinking of the so called golden generation.

far too many self important idiots have blighted our sides. Far too many managers who have failed to take risks and play names over ability.

these guys coming up might hopefully be able to show more hunger than what weve had in the past.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26022314

Didn't realise Vela hadn't played for mexico since 2011, why is that?

http://metro.co.uk/2010/09/17/carlos-ve ... ty-514822/
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 pm

wow! I remember reading something about that ages ago and assumed it was press making stuff up!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:15 am

Zedie wrote:
Trina wrote:

Good post Rev.

Chin up mate.

wilshere
Gibbs
Ox
Sterling
Januzaj
Rodriguez
Lallana
Shaw
sturridge

Are just some of the names that hopefully wont be tainted by the old way of thinking of the so called golden generation.

far too many self important idiots have blighted our sides. Far too many managers who have failed to take risks and play names over ability.

these guys coming up might hopefully be able to show more hunger than what weve had in the past.

Very much doubt Januzaj will end up playing for England.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Zedie wrote:
Trina wrote:

Good post Rev.

Chin up mate.

wilshere
Gibbs
Ox
Sterling
Januzaj
Rodriguez
Lallana
Shaw
sturridge

I'd add Clyne and JWP to that list too.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Wellbeck--Sturridge
Rooney
Wilshere--Chamberlain
Gerrard
Gibbs--Cahill--Terry--Walker
Hart