Gedion Zelalem

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Gedion Zelalem

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Looks like he can genuinely if things go well become a literally the worlds best player. Long way to go. He not average youngster just shipped here for the sake of it, he is a pure, natural footballer.

English seems to be his first language, speaking with a strong american accent, he says soccer rather than football but he's playing for German Youth? which seems clear to me he won't progress the the full national team, I really don't think he'll feel comfortable there. I don't know how good his German is since he didn't actually live there long and maybe he was only playing for them since he might not yet be an american Citizen.

I think he'll play for the USA and he could become what Freddy Adu promised to be but never did.

Ethiopia aren't great, well pretty shit to be fair but they could cause a shock and qualify for Brazil next year the will be in for a shout to sign him to play of them if they make it.
Last edited by elkanofan on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Re: Gedion Zelalem

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Zelalem and Wilshere playing in front of Ramsey is the future. You heard it here first!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Ethiopians - along with Kenyans - are head and shoulders above the rest of the world when it comes to marathons and endurance running, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he has a great engine on him as well. I'm sure if you would compare the stamina of the average Ethiopian to the average European you would notice the difference.

Vision, passing and agility definitely seem to be his strengths thus far.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Apollo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Zenith wrote:Ethiopians - along with Kenyans - are head and shoulders above the rest of the world when it comes to marathons and endurance running, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he has a great engine on him as well. I'm sure if you would compare the stamina of the average Ethiopian to the average European you would notice the difference.

Lol. Why dont we just by a forward line of Jamaicans :dontknow: (not serious)

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zenith » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Omphi93 wrote:
Zenith wrote:Ethiopians - along with Kenyans - are head and shoulders above the rest of the world when it comes to marathons and endurance running, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he has a great engine on him as well. I'm sure if you would compare the stamina of the average Ethiopian to the average European you would notice the difference.

We already have 1. ;)
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby gzagee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Boy's different class but, as I said in another thread last week I won't go in for the hyperbole comparing him to Cesc. Yet.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Omphi93 wrote:

Because we cant control the ball, we just run. Ironic yes Theo the Half Jamaican falls into that category eh.

There is no money whatsoever or organization in Jamaican football. I mean there is no coaching structure or development available. I know e are a very small island of just 2 million people, then again Uruguay whos population is just over 3 million can produce, Forlan, Suarez, Cavani and other top class players. There is talent there but no structure whatsoever.

This is the national league :tumbleweed:
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:

Because we cant control the ball, we just run. Ironic yes Theo the Half Jamaican falls into that category eh.

There is no money whatsoever or organization in Jamaican football. I mean there is no coaching structure or development available. I know e are a very small island of just 2 million people, then again Uruguay whos population is just over 3 million can produce, Forlan, Suarez, Cavani and other top class players. There is talent there but no structure whatsoever.

Athletics is jamaicas sport of choice, everything in the schools is geared towards this and it carrys on up to professional level. Even before bolt, the track and field rivalries between schools / parishes / clubs is legendary.

football is big out there too, just not as big as track.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I remember when cricket was the national sport. From the late 60s to the early 90s the Windies were the benchmark. And Jamaica bred the most fearsome fast bowlers.
Michael Holding the "whispering death". Jheeeez what a name!
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Massa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Zelalem and Wilshere playing in front of Ramsey is the future. You heard it here first!

Said it before bro
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Massa wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:Zelalem and Wilshere playing in front of Ramsey is the future. You heard it here first!

Said it before bro

Boo!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:41 am

They are both sold before Zelalem is a starting first teamer
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Zedie wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Omphi93 wrote:

Athletics is jamaicas sport of choice, everything in the schools is geared towards this and it carrys on up to professional level. Even before bolt, the track and field rivalries between schools / parishes / clubs is legendary.

football is big out there too, just not as big as track.

I know, but football is just as big as Track! Again there is money for anything to be developed however. There is very big glory hunting culture in Jamaica. Most people tend to support whoever wins.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Seemed steady when he came on today. I watched this game on the Club player channel and the commentator on that mentioned our more experienced players had no problems trusting him and were giving him the ball. He is very young. He could do well for us.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Very early days obviously but he's exciting. Some of this through balls so far have been epic. Bergkamp would've been proud of some of those!
If Jack rates him as highly as he does there must be something there.

Can't wait to see him in the COC.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to World Football