International Football Discussion

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: International matches

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:58 am

Belgium vs. USA going on right now.
Score is currently 1-1 with goals from Mirallas and Geoff Cameron
Vermaelen taken off around the 35th minute mark with an injury. Probably precautionary.
Fellaini playing in a deep CM role. Looks average.
Benteke subbed on around the 40th minute mark

EDIT: 2-1 Belgium. Defensive error from the US results in a Benteke tap in. De Bruyne with the assist
EDIT: Fellaini makes it three
EDIT: Benteke scores his second. Sublime pass from Defour. 4-1 Belgium
EDIT: Penalty for the US. Dempsey scores. 4-2
EDIT: Benteke with a chance to get his hat trick but denied by Besler with a last ditch tackle.
EDIT: Game over. Belgium 4-2 USA
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby yosifun » Thu May 30, 2013 8:20 am

Was Poldi deployed as the CF or did he play at the left the same he does for us?
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Thu May 30, 2013 9:39 am

yosifun wrote:Was Poldi deployed as the CF or did he play at the left the same he does for us?

I didn't watch it but coming from a reliable source, he played CF alongside Kruse but kept dropping deep.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 am

SammyGunner11 wrote:Belgium vs. USA going on right now.
Score is currently 1-1 with goals from Mirallas and Geoff Cameron
Vermaelen taken off around the 35th minute mark with an injury. Probably precautionary.
Fellaini playing in a deep CM role. Looks average.
Benteke subbed on around the 40th minute mark

EDIT: 2-1 Belgium. Defensive error from the US results in a Benteke tap in. De Bruyne with the assist
EDIT: Fellaini makes it three
EDIT: Benteke scores his second. Sublime pass from Defour. 4-1 Belgium
EDIT: Penalty for the US. Dempsey scores. 4-2
EDIT: Benteke with a chance to get his hat trick but denied by Besler with a last ditch tackle.
EDIT: Game over. Belgium 4-2 USA

What an average game from both sides. It was obvious you were missing key players like Edu and Bradley in the middle of the park just like it was obvious that we we're missing Witsel and a more creative winger like Hazard who can create something out of nothing. Out of the 6 scored goals there were at least 5 defensive errors, also I think the tackle on Benteke could have been a penalty, just like Mertens should have gotten a yellow card for a reckless tackle on erhm...- not sure who it was lol. Also missing Landon Donovan seem to help you either - did Klinsmann exclude him from the squad because of a personal disagreement or was it for disciplinary reasons?
All things considered an average game in terms of defending - just like most friendlies - but certainly a useful one for both sides ahead of the qualifiers. Good luck for the game against Jamaica next week!
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 am

There are a lot of people moaning about England's half team draw to Ireland in Irelands cup final. :lol:

Could really tell what it meant to the Irish.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby greengoonerie » Thu May 30, 2013 10:15 am

Yorkyblue wrote:There are a lot of people moaning about England's half team draw to Ireland in Irelands cup final. :lol:

Half team?

Pray tell - who was missing from Englands team last night?

Ireland don't do friendlies - especially against England :sneaky2: - we love our neighbours, but we also love to beat our neighbours! :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zenith » Thu May 30, 2013 10:30 am

Angelito wrote:
yosifun wrote:Was Poldi deployed as the CF or did he play at the left the same he does for us?

I didn't watch it but coming from a reliable source, he played CF alongside Kruse but kept dropping deep.

According to most German sites Germany played their regular 4-2-3-1 formation with Podolski on the left and - this time - with Kruse in the ST spot. As you can see it was more a Germany B as well.

The starting line-ups (allegedly) looked like this:

Ecuador: 4-4-2/4-2-2 (double 6 with Naboa and Castillo)

----------------Banguera--------------
Paredes---Erazo---Achilier---Ayovia
---------Naboa---------Castillo-------
--Valencia------------------Montero--
--------Benitez-------Caicedo--------

---------------------o------------------

------------------Kruse----------------
---Podolski-----Draxler-------Sam---
-----------Bender----Neustädter-----
Jansen--Westerman-Per--Höwedes
------------------Adler----------------

Germany: 4-2-3-1 with Podolski and Mertesacker on their usual positions.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 30, 2013 10:31 am

greengoonerie wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:There are a lot of people moaning about England's half team draw to Ireland in Irelands cup final. :lol:

Half team?

Ireland don't do friendlies - especially against England :sneaky2: - we love our neighbours, but we also love to beat our neighbours! :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:

Jagielka, Walcott, Ox, Sturridge, second half full backs (although can't really knock Baines so can't really count that one).

I doubt any would be starting if that was a World Cup match and everyone was available.

From the bits I've managed to get to see, you could tell what it meant for Ireland in that game.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby greengoonerie » Thu May 30, 2013 10:50 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:

Half team?

Jagielka, Walcott, Ox, Sturridge, second half full backs (although can't really knock Baines so can't really count that one).

I doubt any would be starting if that was a World Cup match and everyone was available.

From the bits I've managed to get to see, you could tell what it meant for Ireland in that game.

Yorkie,

I will try again.

Who was MISSING from Englands team last night then?

You said it was half a team. Which half was missing?

Or are you saying that Jagielka, Walcott, Ox, Sturridge, are all unworthy of places in Englands Team?

I would suggest that many here would regard them as good enough to start for England.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am

greengoonerie wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:

Half team?

Yorkie,

I will try again.

Who was MISSING from Englands team last night then?

You said it was half a team. Which half was missing?

Or are you saying that Jagielka, Walcott, Ox, Sturridge, are all unworthy of places in Englands Team?

I would suggest that many here would regard them as good enough to start for England.

I would say we have better.

All those who started yesterday, won't start against Brazil. Hodgson has 2 friendlies and wants to give his whole squad a starting game.

Probably missed someone as well by not thinking straight but I'd say something along these lines is our strongest 11 when available. Formation can be changed to suit those players as well.

------------Hart------------
Richards Terry Cahill Cole
-------Milner Carrick------
Gerrard Lampard Welbeck
----------Rooney------------

Yes, I still would play Lampard and Gerrard. It's all about getting the balance of the team right to play them together as well which for some reason, people struggled to do.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Maxduke » Thu May 30, 2013 11:31 am

Mine would be...

Hart
Richards - Smalling - Jones - Cole
Lampard - Carrick
Milner - Wilshere - Welbeck
Rooney

I expect by the next world cup Zaha will be in the side though, so I'd drop Welbeck then. The England team in 4/5 years should much better than it is now, although we do need a striker to come through. We'll have exciting wingers, with great technical players in the middle and monsters at the back who can also play and a solid GK, we're just lacking a great young striker.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 30, 2013 11:32 am

At times we may be better off playing Defoe up top and having 3 play off him. He'd suit that better than anyone else.

Shame Jordan Rhodes decided on Scotland like his dad. ;)
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Maxduke » Thu May 30, 2013 11:34 am

Yorkyblue wrote:At times we may be better off playing Defoe up top and having 3 play off him. He'd suit that better than anyone else.

Shame Jordan Rhodes decided on Scotland like his dad. ;)

Yeah I was thinking that yesterday, I'd fancy our chances in the U21 Euros if he was in the English side as they really do lack a good striker. Saying that, the Spanish team is just silly and they should walk it.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 30, 2013 11:39 am

Such a natural finisher and his all round game isn't bad either. When I went to St James Park and saw him score past Newcastle from a nothing angle it was obvious how good he was going to get. The lad just gets better and better and I'm sure he will be starting the 2014/15 season in the prem, if not this season (already talks of Hull but only offered 4mill and the Venkys paid 8mill then add ons on top of that last summer).
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Maxduke » Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 am

Yeah, I remember Middlesbrough were linked with him with Blackburn but we don't have that kind of money to compete with them. If we got him, we'd have made the play-offs atleast, 27 goals in a struggling team in this division is awesome.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to World Football