Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:39 pm

Losmeister wrote:hilrious all the hand wringing done wnet MA sent him packing... brilliant decision

Nice history re-write

The anger was that he wasn’t replaced, not that he got booted.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:53 pm

Not replacing him was the correct decision?

We signed Jesus the summer after.

Keeping a 300k pw player in the reserves would have been stupid, and he wasn't going to play so selling was the correct decision, replacement or not
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:25 pm

Pudpop wrote:Not replacing him was the correct decision?

Keeping a 300k pw player in the reserves would have been stupid, and he wasn't going to play so selling was the correct decision, replacement or not

We missed out on Champions League football and handed it to Spurs?

If you’re cool with that, that’s your business. I’m not cool with it, not at the time and not ever.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Pudpop » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:48 am

UFGN wrote:

If you’re cool with that, that’s your business. I’m not cool with it, not at the time and not ever.
Yes I am, because unlike you I look at context when deciding if I'm OK with something

We tried to sign Vlahovic, he went to juve instead. The club decided to wait because there wasn't another appropriate signing available, and we cared about the long term plan more than we did about one season in the CL where we wouldn't even have the depth to compete.

If we only make decisions for short term gains then we will only have short term success.

Spurs finished 4th ahead of us because they had a manager who cared about short term success. How is that working out for them? Were they competitive in the CL last season?

I care about champions league football because I want to win the competition, not because I want us to get one over on spurs.

Last season we were prepared to break the bank in January to try and win the league. Why? Because winning trophies is the whole f***ing point.

I'm sorry I care more about that than trying to scrape 4th in 2022, but unlike you I got rid of the Wenger era mindset of finishing fourth is a trophy, or celebrating St totteringhams day like we won the league
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:55 am

Pudpop wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Yes I am, because unlike you I look at context when deciding if I'm OK with something

We tried to sign Vlahovic, he went to juve instead. The club decided to wait because there wasn't another appropriate signing available, and we cared about the long term plan more than we did about one season in the CL where we wouldn't even have the depth to compete.

If we only make decisions for short term gains then we will only have short term success.

Spurs finished 4th ahead of us because they had a manager who cared about short term success. How is that working out for them? Were they competitive in the CL last season?

I care about champions league football because I want to win the competition, not because I want us to get one over on spurs.

Last season we were prepared to break the bank in January to try and win the league. Why? Because winning trophies is the whole f***ing point.

I'm sorry I care more about that than trying to scrape 4th in 2022, but unlike you I got rid of the Wenger era mindset of finishing fourth is a trophy, or celebrating St totteringhams day like we won the league

In the whole of world football there wasn't a forward we could have loaned for six months who could have made a difference? If you say so.

In the whole of world football there wasn't a forward we could have signed then who could have then become part of the team long term? If you say so.

We couldn't have persuaded City to sell Jesus to us in January by offering them more money?

There's three alternative scenarios right there.

Jesus is the player that was actually signed in the end. It didn't have to be that way.

Every season is important in its own right. That is one concept that died a death under Wenger. More "tomorrows" than Annie on acid. And who's to say we couldn't have built from the stronger position of having CL? We would have been playing CL last season, and we could have gone far in it.

There is still no excuse for getting rid of the club's leading striker, then failing to replace him and gifting Champions League football to them. If you think we're in a better position now, because we went on to finish second the next year, you're wrong.

We still won f**k all.

UFGN

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:32 pm

Losmeister wrote:hilrious all the hand wringing done wnet MA sent him packing... brilliant decision

Only if you swallowed the PR hit job whole. The Auba saga exposed an amateur manager who couldn't deal with an underperforming player and threw his weight around to terminate his deal mid-season, without a replacement. We had 4th on a plate and ended up bottling it.

It's unclear if Arteta has matured to the extent needed, since then. When we were bottling the title last season, he had no plan. Except maybe to throw £100k pw Eddie on to run some laps while 3-0 down to Brighton.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:32 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

Only if you swallowed the PR hit job whole. The Auba saga exposed an amateur manager who couldn't deal with an underperforming player and threw his weight around to terminate his deal mid-season, without a replacement. We had 4th on a plate and ended up bottling it.

It's unclear if Arteta has matured to the extent needed, since then. When we were bottling the title last season, he had no plan. Except maybe to throw £100k pw Eddie on to run some laps while 3-0 down to Brighton.

Aubameyang was rightly booted out on his arse.
Not only was he unprofessional, he was also consistently shit for 18 months before we got rid of him.
He's found his level in the 7th tier of European football now after failing at Chelsea.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:20 pm

Yup especially as he joined Barca and single handedly got them CL football with his goals

Proved he could still do it at the highest level at the time
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:29 pm

jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:29 pm

Let's not forget that Auba scored 11 goals in 17 games for Barcelona, which helped them clinch UCL football. He also scored 92 goals for us including 21 assists in 163 games in all competitions.

It didn't end well but let's not revise history. Don't ignore the fact that Arteta offered him that huge contract. So, both parties share the blame; the club moreso than him.

Auba was amazing for us. He spearheaded that FA Cup win. Since then, and around £600-650m later, we still haven't won a trophy.

You have to appreciate that he was our best performer in, arguably, our lowest period of the modern era. 113 goal contributions in 163 games is world class. It was the club's decision to offer him that extension. If you want to point fingers, the club is where it's at.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:40 pm

Would also add that losing out on a CL spot that year was more down to the lack of numbers in midfield rather than up front.

But again, that was a managerial issue. A short term loan for a midfielder (even Wilshere who was training with us at the time) could have fixed that problem. Opted not to bring in midfield reinforcements, that was the own goal. Got absolutely bullied by Newcastle in that final game.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:05 pm

Angelito wrote:Let's not forget that Auba scored 11 goals in 17 games for Barcelona, which helped them clinch UCL football. He also scored 92 goals for us including 21 assists in 163 games in all competitions.

It didn't end well but let's not revise history. Don't ignore the fact that Arteta offered him that huge contract. So, both parties share the blame; the club moreso than him.

Auba was amazing for us. He spearheaded that FA Cup win. Since then, and around £600-650m later, we still haven't won a trophy.

You have to appreciate that he was our best performer in, arguably, our lowest period of the modern era. 113 goal contributions in 163 games is world class. It was the club's decision to offer him that extension. If you want to point fingers, the club is where it's at.

Forget it mate. The people using his Chelsea stint to call him "finished" are the same ones saying Kai Havertz was "mismanaged" there.

For all the talk of a great young team, we haven't managed so much as a sniff of a cup since Auba left.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:07 pm

Angelito wrote:Let's not forget that Auba scored 11 goals in 17 games for Barcelona, which helped them clinch UCL football. He also scored 92 goals for us including 21 assists in 163 games in all competitions.

Forget it mate. The people using his Chelsea stint to call him "finished" are the same ones saying Kai Havertz was "mismanaged" there.

For all the talk of a great young team, we haven't managed so much as a sniff of a cup since Auba left.

fair comment tbh
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:28 pm

alexafc12 wrote:

fair comment tbh

Lol, one is 34 yrs old and failed in his career position after also failing in his last 18 months with us.
The other is 24 and was played as a striker having built his young career as an attacking midfielder.
Really good comparison. I guess we should all be saying Havertz is finished at 24 because Aubameyang is at 34… :rofll: GW logic.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:42 pm

Scores twice against Panathanaikos in CL qualifiers, but Marseille lose on penalties.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club