Alisher Usmanov

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

I want Alisher Usmanov to...

Become major shareholder of Arsenal football club
61%
Get his place on the board
28%
Neither
11%

Total votes : 71

Alisher Usmanov

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:18 am

Usmanov Ready to Take Control of Arsenal

The second-largest shareholder of U.K. soccer team Arsenal has told CNBC that he is ready to do all he can to help the team and is ready to take control of the club and buy the remaining shares.

Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov currently owns 29.9 percent of the club, after buying former vice-chairman David Dein's stake in 2008 for 75 million pounds ($122 million). But Usmanov has been locked in a battle with Arsenal's major shareholder Stan Kroenke, who has refused any kind of dialogue with Usmanov and denied him a seat on the board, a decision Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is believed to have backed.

"I want to take this opportunity to just reaffirm that in order to help the team, we would be ready to buy more shares, to buy control, to buy all shares," he told CNBC Thursday in Moscow.

"We are ready to do all that we can in order to help the company, in order to consider any form of cooperation or ownership with the team."

Uzbek-born Usmanov said he doesn't want to be a member of the board as it currently stands but it "rankles" him that one of the major shareholders isn't part of the decision making process.

Arsenal, without a trophy since 2005, has faced heavy criticism this season after key players left the club without being replaced with high profile recruits. Results also haven't gone its way, although the team stands fifth in the Premier League and still remains in Europe's premier competition, the Champions League.

Selling star striker Robin Van Persie to league leaders Manchester United was a mistake, according Usmanov, but he confirmed that he wouldn't interfere with Arsene Wenger on transfer decisions if he had a greater say at the club. He also said Wenger "doesn't have enough support".

Reported by Forbes magazine to be Russia's richest man, Usmanov made his money in the timber and mining industry as well as investments in other sectors. He told CNBC it would be his dream to take control of the club and described Wenger as "one of the best coaches in the world".

"If I have big stake in Arsenal, of course I have my opinion about what our team must do," he said.

"For example in commercial side, I think there are also many questions about [effectiveness] of the commercial management of Arsenal. But we will see, we will wait. Maybe when I wake up someday I'll have this Arsenal club."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100330382
Last edited by Arsenal~Fanatic on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Re: Usmanov Ready to Take Control of Arsenal

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:21 am

I am hoping and praying this happens as Kroenke is the worst thing to have happened for Arsenal football club. Usmanov has always said he supports the self sustaining model but is willing to pump in his money to help us compete better. I cannot wait to see the back of Kroenke. Usmanov is the only man under the planet who can save us from the clutches of Kroenke.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby kronickaos » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:32 am

Kroenke wouldn't sell his shares even if Usmanov offered him something like £20,000/share. I believe Kroenke has that "little kid" mentality where, a little kid will see another kid playing with a toy, he wants to toy for himself, so he takes the toy but doesn't play with it; but is happy that it's "his" now and won't let anyone else have it.
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Leody » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:36 am

kronickaos wrote:Kroenke wouldn't sell his shares even if Usmanov offered him something like £20,000/share. I believe Kroenke has that "little kid" mentality where, a little kid will see another kid playing with a toy, he wants to toy for himself, so he takes the toy but doesn't play with it; but is happy that it's "his" now and won't let anyone else have it.

Sure he would, all he cares about is the profit. He would take those gains and reinvest them elsewhere.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:37 am

kronickaos wrote:Kroenke wouldn't sell his shares even if Usmanov offered him something like £20,000/share. I believe Kroenke has that "little kid" mentality where, a little kid will see another kid playing with a toy, he wants to toy for himself, so he takes the toy but doesn't play with it; but is happy that it's "his" now and won't let anyone else have it.

And our board is so happy to let him use our club like the ''toy'' you are referring to. Lady nina tweeted Recently saying Kroenke should not have bought in to Arsenal club if he was not passionate about it. Kroenke is least bothered with what happens on the pitch as long as the share price keeps on soaring.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby kronickaos » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:40 am

Leody wrote:

Sure he would, all he cares about is the profit. He would take those gains and reinvest them elsewhere.

That was a hypothetical price. I think I read somewhere that Usmanov said he wouldn't pay more than £15,000-£17,000 per share, maybe he has had a change of heart on his price ceiling :dontknow:
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Leody » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:44 am

kronickaos wrote:
Leody wrote:

That was a hypothetical price. I think I read somewhere that Usmanov said he wouldn't pay more than £15,000-£17,000 per share, maybe he has had a change of heart on his price ceiling :dontknow:

Well whatever the price, there is certainly a number that Kronke would take. He's only in it for the money. He would see the number as a good return, take his gains, and move along to the next investment.

What that number is, who knows. :dontknow:

But he certainly has a number that he would take and go home with.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby kronickaos » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:48 am

Leody wrote:
kronickaos wrote:
Leody wrote:

Well whatever the price, there is certainly a number that Kronke would take. He's only in it for the money. He would see the number as a good return, take his gains, and move along to the next investment.

What that number is, who knows. :dontknow:

But he certainly has a number that he would take and go home with.

kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:48 am

@ Leo unless he finds another investment more lucrative than the current one, he will not sell and that is exactly why the situation has become so sticky. He obviously will not sell the shares and stash the money in a random bank right?
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:51 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:@ Leo unless he finds another investment more lucrative than the current one, he will not sell and that is exactly why the situation has become so sticky. He obviously will not sell the shares and stash the money in a random bank right?

Any investor will tell you, you don't know what investment is more lucrative until you've seen it out. He just needs to think he has a better opportunity elsewhere, be it in football, banking or nappies.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby AFC10 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:56 am

Fans could play a big part here if we go the way united fans went about it
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby friedslice » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 am

I was so against this bloke earlier this year, and still hate him based on his dodgy background, and i still certainly do not want a sugar daddy, i don't want him coming in and spending 300 million on players. whats the point in this 8 years of prudence to build ourselves into a great financial position whereby we can spend big with our own money (like united did). we dont need the money, we need someone who will spend ours - that clearly isnt kroenke and the current mob who blatently want to milk us disgustingly for every penny of profit they can, theyve admitted as much all season and as a result i want them lynched. if that means usmanov replacing them then i guess ive softened to it a bit more - purely to get these slags out the club. but i'll reiterate we really do not need a hand out, we don't need to tarnish our reputation by "buying" the league with a sugar daddy, we're one of the richest clubs in the world now, we have the funds to spend 50 million each summer and tbh thats' all we need.

we need an owner who will spend our money, not an owner who'll give us more. if usmanov is that man then fairplay, i just hope he doesn;t come in and do a citeh/abramovich and ruin our legacy of being a classy club. we need a change in focus, not a change in funding.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ArsenalN5 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:51 am

Hopefully, The stupid mug gets bored of waiting for Kroenke to sell and ends up selling his shares and buying a european club.
Leave Arsenal alone you slug.
ArsenalN5
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Dejan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:53 am

ArsenalN5 wrote:Hopefully, The stupid mug gets bored of waiting for Kroenke to sell and ends up selling his shares and buying a european club.

I rather have Usmanov than Kroenke.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:59 am

Dejan wrote:
ArsenalN5 wrote:Hopefully, The stupid mug gets bored of waiting for Kroenke to sell and ends up selling his shares and buying a european club.

I rather have Usmanov than Kroenke.
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to World Football