Kick Racism Out Of Football

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Kick Racism Out Of Football

Postby Trina » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:41 am

I've made this thread and will make it a sticky for any racism issues.

I'll start with the current one, which I still can't get over. How can Serbia say there was no racism, yet you can clearly hear the chants on tv?

The Serbian FA has denied that England's U21 players were subjected to any form of racism - and accused Danny Rose of "inappropriate and vulgar" behaviour.

Rose has called on Serbia to be banned after complaining that he was racially abused and hit by missiles during his side's 1-0 win on Tuesday night.

The England defender said he had been subjected to monkey taunts long before the brawl that marred the end of the Euro 2013 play-off, with video evidence seeming to corroborate his claims.

Prime Minister David Cameron joined the Football Association in condeming the night's events and called for "tough sanctions" against Serbia but their FA has hit back, categorically denying any wrongdoing by supporters.

"While most of the English team players celebrated the score, Danny Rose, behaved in inappropriate, unsportsmanlike and vulgar manner towards the supporters on the stands at the stadium in Krusevac, and for that he was shown a red card."
Serbia's FA Quotes of the week

In a statement on its website, the Serbian FA said: "(The) FA of Serbia absolutely rejects and denies that there were any occurrences of racism before and during the match at the stadium in Krusevac.

"Making connection between the seen incident - a fight between members of the two teams - and racism has absolutely no ground and we consider it to be a total malevolence.

"Unfortunately, after the fourth minute of the additional time and the victory goal scored by the guest team, unpleasant scenes were seen on the pitch.

"And while most of the English team players celebrated the score, Danny Rose, behaved in inappropriate, unsportsmanlike and vulgar manner towards the supporters on the stands at the stadium in Krusevac, and for that he was shown a red card."

Rose has urged the sport's governing bodies to take action against Serbia.

He told Sky Sports News: "They have to be banned. I don't understand how else they can learn from it, they have to be banned.

"It started when we went out for the warm-up. I told Wigs (Steve Wigley, assistant manager) what was happening and he told me to try and get through it, that it would be dealt with after the game.

Rose calls for Serbia ban

"The fans started with monkey chants and in the second half two stones hit me on the head as I went to get the ball for a throw-in.

"After about 60 minutes, my mind wasn't on the game. I was angry. It was so hard to concentrate that I made a few mistakes.

"When we scored, after 90 minutes' abuse, I obviously expressed my emotions. The next thing I knew, all the Serbian players surrounded me, started pushing me, and then a brawl broke out.

"I remember getting slapped twice and then I got ushered away. That's when I kicked the ball - and the referee sent me off. I don't understand - the game had finished by then but he still sent me off for kicking the ball.

"As I went off again there was monkey chanting, but the monkey chanting started long before I got sent off."

UEFA fined Serbia £16,000 when England defender Nedum Onuoha was racially abused during a U21 European Championship meeting between the sides in 2007.

http://www1.skysports.com/news/11095/8172841/
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Kick Racism Out Of Football

Postby gzagee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:45 am

I'll flip this on its head:

We can't kick racism out of football. I would've started a debate about this as my opinion is you cannot. It is ingrained in football culture with a transparency that is more subtle in most sections of society.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 am

The high profile cases have put us back to the Eighties. Needs stamping out now.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zedie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:18 am

I'll see your flip and raise you one.

You can kick racism out of football. You simply ban the problem countries from international and European Competions for a period of time until their FA and fans get the message.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:48 am

Then you including England on that.
Only last season a Chelsea fan was banned for life after hurling racist abuse at Drogba.
I'm sure you're aware the Millwall fans racist chanting against 3 black Bolton players last weekend, and the subsequent Facebook picture with Sordell in the crosshairs with blood around his face.
And let's look closer to home when a couple of our own fans were banned for racially abusing Eboue.
That's just a sample of the continued racism that still exists in our stadia.

You can't kick racism out of football.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Trina » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 am

Surely you can try though and to me that means making an example out of players, fans, clubs, countries etc. Stronger punishments surely would make people think twice and clubs be more firm on it too.

I don't think, well I know it will never be completely kicked out. But if it decreases its a step in the right direction.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby gzagee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:56 am

How far do they go with these punishments? A simple fine and picture opportunity shaking hands with Blatter and Desmond Tutu?
There's always been this "threat" of long term bans from continental and world competition but it has never worked.
How many times have the Serb FA been "penalised" about this?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby TheArsenalPost » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 am

Can't we just kick racist people?
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooner_7890 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:24 pm

The scenes on Tuesday night were disgusting, the behaviour of the Serbian players, officials and fans was completely unacceptable. Serbia should receive a lengthy ban from all international football for their actions but unfortunately i don't think they'll be banned, i reckon they'll will get away with a small fine and a slap on the wrist.
gooner_7890
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby nassau_gunner » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:44 pm

You can't kick racism out of football until you kick racism out of society.
nassau_gunner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby thrice » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:34 pm

thrice
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Zedie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:39 pm

And people have the audacity to complain about Diaby.

Hes a Saint!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Ha ha, excellent picture choice!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator