Is diving ruining the game of football?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Is diving ruining the game of football?

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:55 pm

The most frequent question I've been asked this week by gleeful looking non-Spurs fans is just how embarrassed I was by Gareth Bale's dive against Aston Villa.

Cheek-scorchingly ashamed is how I would describe it. Not that I or any other Spurs fan has any control over what the players do on the pitch, but over the years their antics and my ego have become inexplicably entwined.

I guess the reason that Bale's dive pained me so is that I identify Tottenham as the good guys. This is a flawed logic when so many people hate us with every fibre of their soul, but then even the Nazis believed that God was on their side.

Yet when it comes to the subject of diving, I've always thought that we've had some cause to consider ourselves whiter than Lilywhite. Chelsea had Didier Drogba falling over whenever anyone breathed on him and Arsenal had Robert Pires collapsing in the penalty area with a roguish Gallic flair, but Tottenham never had a diving expert who could guarantee a 10.0 from the judges.

I remember when Didier Zokora marked an early appearance for Spurs with a blatant dive to win a penalty. From the reaction of the crowd around me you would have thought that he'd slaughtered a puppy on the pitch. There was just no appetite for his cheating, even though it did profit the team.

Zokora never overcame the incident and was thereafter about as popular in my section of the Park Lane as Ian Wright wearing a Chelsea shirt singing 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles'. I was always proud of that reaction. Yes, we want to win, but not at all costs.

Now Bale, of course, is a different case. Zokora was always destined to be unpopular for the fact that he couldn't score, tackle or pass. In contrast, Bale is a hero at the Lane. Disliking him is not an option.

Nevertheless, diving has become a bigger and bigger part of his game. Bale has denied it in the past, claiming that he often goes to ground because, were he not to, he'd find himself amputated from the knees down.

There's a certain truth to this. Players who can run at defenders as fast as Bale very often find their careers curtailed by injuries caused by desperate 'tackles'.

However, there are circumstances when there can be no possible excuse that rings true. Bale's dive as Brad Guzan approached him was one such instance. He was looking for a foul and, unlike Luis Suarez, he didn't even have the good grace to make his attempt at deception so bad that it was laughable.

Had the referee bought it, then Guzan could have found himself sent off and Villa would have been down to ten men (technically nine given Darren Bent's performance). Our win would have been brought into question and Bale would be facing even more headlines than he already has.

Ever heard of 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf', Gareth? Maybe you're more familiar with its modern update, 'The Ashley Young Story', in which naughty Ashley tricked everyone so many times that they stopped believing him when he really was fouled in the box.

That's what Bale has to look forward to if he doesn't mend his ways and it will be to his and Tottenham's detriment. Considering that Bale will be facing his old nemesis Charlie Adam in the Wales v Scotland fixture on Friday, this might also not be the best time for referees to think that he's a diver who goes to ground too easily.

© http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/nam ... 00?cc=5901
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby golfinguy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 pm

My diving dissertation.....

Hate it. Must do something about it. All the solutions are inequitable though - but there is no way around it, must be done anyway.

We all hate diving, but what about the people that are fouled but make out like they have been assaulted? Just as bad in my book. Every damn player that gets a little kick takes 2 minutes off the clock with his performance. Its an attempt to influence the referee just like all the others. But how do we deal with it? How do we really know they are not hurt? Very difficult to know. I'm reminded of Yaya last season - we all thought he was performing for the referee, but then he actually went off injured. To problematic to rule on, and likely little can be done about this. Still hate it though - especially when I can hear Vermaelen's cries on the damned TV they're so loud.

Video evidence after the fact must be used on divers. Its not going to be perfect, but we cannot expect it to be. I think a few wrong decisions is a small price to pay to rid us of diving. My problem with it (although I still want it) is the inequitable penalties resulting from it. If you are caught during the game because you were really bad at it or the referee was on top of it - you get a yellow card. If the referee missed it or you were good at it, video evidence will get you what is essentially a red card. Doesn't seem right, but again - a small price to pay to rid ourselves of it.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby JohnDuval » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:00 pm

yes
JohnDuval
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Maxduke » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Nah it makes it better.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TheLittleMozart » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:55 am

Aye, that ugly prick Bale dived a belter against Scotland and won a penalty from it...He clipped is own heels!!

Still though, we were piss poor, but didnt deserve to loose that match.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zedie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Man Utd winger Ashley Young unapologetic over diving claims

Ashley Young remains unapologetic in the face of accusations of diving and has claimed it is up to referees to deal with him.

The Manchester United winger revealed both Sir Alex Ferguson and his successor David Moyes have had words with him about his frequent tumbles in the penalty area, but he does not seem ready to change his ways.

"It's been talked about by the previous manager and the current manager, but that's in-house," Young said in several newspapers.

"I'm not going to comment on what's been said. I understand what you're saying (about gaining a reputation) and everyone is going to have their say on it, but the referees are giving decisions and that is where I think it lies."

Young was booked for simulation against Crystal Palace this season but then won a controversial penalty later in the same game, while he also appeared to go over easily in the Champions League match away to Real Sociedad.

The 28-year-old incensed fans of his former club last season when he went down against Aston Villa, United's opponents on Sunday.

"I remember getting booked against Palace and then won a penalty," he said.

"Against Sociedad it was another penalty that was given. Referees have got tough decisions to make, they have a tough time out there making decisions, but they have made the right decisions I think.

"I don't take notice of the headlines or the debates. That's obviously for people to have their say on it, and everyone is entitled to have their say on it. For me, the referees have made decisions and that's it."

Ashley Young

Young has struggled to hold down a place in Moyes' side this season, and has been singled out by a section of United's fans for criticism, leaving his World Cup hopes with England in the balance.

"Obviously it's been disappointing I've not been involved as much as I'd have liked," he added. "Right now, I'm not thinking about the World Cup, I'm thinking about playing for United.

"You always want to play in the biggest tournaments, so of course I want to be on that plane but I don't think there's a player who has been involved in the squad that doesn't."

_________________________________________________________________________________

Theres a couple of quality GIFs of Hernandez and Junazaj diving in last weekends games too. To this day, i have no idea how Arsenal still get the cheat chants, while these lot never seem to get any stick for it.

f***ing W****rs.

edit: link to dive GIFs

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/chich ... astle-gif/
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby mel4 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:25 am

Yeah, foreign players brought diving to the PL as they say, but the English have perfected the art. Rooney's dive against the invicibles, owen's dive at WC and PL games, Gerrard, Ashley...etc. But Ashley is the worst I have seen so far

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby AAIRE99 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:49 pm

i think it might be ruining the game, sad to say.

Gerard was overlooked for it for years, the English guys are just smarter about it, they dive when it matters and it worked well for the likes of the above Rooney, Gerard etc for years but refs are onto it now.

These are serious dives like the Rooney one against Arsenal is a good example, id say the managers were pushing the idea as the players are more trusted by the referees than foreigners and there media image etc, that dive rooney made against you lot was expert iirc. theres just no way u would be pulling that off so well first time. On the training ground I bet Rooney and Gerard have trained for there important dives. :o
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Previous

Return to World Football