Pep Guardiola to end reign as Barcelona coach in summer

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Barcelona's Pep Guardiola 'on brink of leaving club'

Postby djaxster » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 am

He has said he wants a year away from Football... He's going to The Spurts then..
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby djaxster » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 am

He has said he wants a year away from Football... He's going to The Spurts then..
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:43 am

Apparantly he has told the players allready that he'll leave the club, there will be a press conference at 12:30 GMT or 13:30 GMT+1.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Herrpoja » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:41 am

unless my spanish is terrible sandro rosell has confirmed it on the press confrence
Herrpoja
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:57 am

Well that didn't take long to sort out his replacement!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Guardiola leaves Barcelona

"Pep Guardiola will not continue as coach next season," Barca President Sandro Rosell told a news conference.

"Thank you for your work and your love."

Guardiola, who wants to recharge his batteries, added: "I'm sorry for the confusion in recent weeks. I've always wanted short contracts because the demands at Barcelona are so big.

"Now we were out of the two main competitions, it was a good time to announce it.

"The reason is simple. Four years, that gets everyone tired. The new coach will give things that I can't give anymore."

Speculation about the 41-year-old former midfielder's future intensified after holders Barca were knocked out of the Champions League by Chelsea 3-2 on aggregate in their semi-final on Tuesday.

That followed a 2-1 home loss to arch rivals Real Madrid on Saturday that meant they are likely to miss out on a fourth straight Liga title.

Spanish media reported that Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa, former Barca player Luis Enrique, now in charge at AS Roma, and Olympiakos boss Ernesto Valverde, who played for Barca and went on to coach clubs including Athletic, Espanyol and Villarreal were likely candidates to replace Guardiola.

Other names mentioned were Andre Villas-Boas, sacked by Chelsea last month, and Laurent Blanc and Vicente del Bosque, the coaches of France and Spain respectively.

Guardiola has enjoyed a hugely successful stint at the helm of the Catalan club, winning 13 trophies in four seasons while playing a style of football that has been widely acclaimed as the best in the world.

However, the longer he has delayed a decision on his future the more speculation has grown he might be lured to another club, with reports linking him to the Chelsea and Inter Milan jobs, among others.

Some suggested he was in line to become the next England manager or that he was planning to take a sabbatical.

He has preferred to renew his Barca contract on an annual basis and waited until February 8 last year before agreeing a new deal.

He then went on to capture a third consecutive Liga title and a second Champions League crown, as well as the Spanish and European Super Cups and the Club World Cup. Their success built on ball retention with team's fortunate to enjoy 30 percent of possession against them.

Barca have a chance to claim more silverware this season in the Copa del Rey and play Athletic Bilbao in next month's final.

http://asia.eurosport.com/football/la-l ... tory.shtml
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Makes sense what they have done just promoting Francesc Vilanova, then if Pep wants his job back he can go back to assistant if he isn't interested in permanent management.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Herrpoja » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Makes sense what they have done just promoting Francesc Vilanova, then if Pep wants his job back he can go back to assistant if he isn't interested in permanent management.

idd quite suprised really that they did promote him taught they were gonna try and get someone with new fresh ideas ,but dont think they want that, i guess
Herrpoja
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Herrpoja wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:Makes sense what they have done just promoting Francesc Vilanova, then if Pep wants his job back he can go back to assistant if he isn't interested in permanent management.

idd quite suprised really that they did promote him taught they were gonna try and get someone with new fresh ideas ,but dont think they want that, i guess

Yeah makes sense what you say.

A bit like Terry Connor at Wolves. Although at Wolves they needed to change things so promoting Connor was pointless. With Barca though, I'm not sure they need to change much - but maybe they do.

One problem is more that Pep is one of the lads there. I'm not knocking his managerial skills, especially his man-management as I rate any manager who can keep that many top players happy.

I think Pep just needs a break. He's not really had a break from football for over 20 years. It will give him some real time with his family without the stress of work in his head.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby IMF » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Wouldn't it be quality if the new guy was shit and Cesc ends up with nothing?
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby elkanofan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm

so are they going to continue playing with 6 attacking midfielders then?
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
Herrpoja wrote:

Yeah makes sense what you say.

A bit like Terry Connor at Wolves. Although at Wolves they needed to change things so promoting Connor was pointless. With Barca though, I'm not sure they need to change much - but maybe they do.

One problem is more that Pep is one of the lads there. I'm not knocking his managerial skills, especially his man-management as I rate any manager who can keep that many top players happy.

I think Pep just needs a break. He's not really had a break from football for over 20 years. It will give him some real time with his family without the stress of work in his head.

They need a recognized striker :)
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Re: Pep Guardiola to end reign as Barcelona coach in summer

Postby Hammered Pizza » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:13 pm

Thread title changed accordingly :P
I'm out, pushed before I could jump.
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Pep Guardiola to end reign as Barcelona coach in summer

Postby Artillero » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Okay. Hypothetical. Wenger doesn't win anything next season and leaves.

Would you take Guardiola?
Artillero
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Pep Guardiola to end reign as Barcelona coach in summer

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Artillero wrote:Okay. Hypothetical. Wenger doesn't win anything next season and leaves.

Would you take Guardiola?

No
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext