The quality of Football is going downhill! Anyone agree?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Is modern day football going downhill in terms of the quality the top players exbibit?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes : 38

Re: The quality of Football is going downhill! Anyone agree?

Postby LMAO » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:48 am

I can't say the quality is any better or worse than it was 5, 10, 20 years ago.

Tactics play a bigger role today than they did before, and sports science and nutrition have significantly closed the gap between great players and good players.

The only thing I can say for sure is that players in today's game aren't as expressive, but that goes back to the modern tactics-focused game that makes everything more rigid as players play more as well-drilled units than individuals banding together for 90 minutes.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby VCC » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:07 am

Definately agree from an Arsenal perspective
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:59 pm

LMAO wrote:I can't say the quality is any better or worse than it was 5, 10, 20 years ago.

Tactics play a bigger role today than they did before, and sports science and nutrition have significantly closed the gap between great players and good players.

Nutrition and diet has been important since the 60's. is just England that was behind in that and had to wait till Wenger came in to change that.

Spots Science has improved a lot but it's over analysed too much imo. Its important but its far to overused.

The only thing I can say for sure is that players in today's game aren't as expressive, but that goes back to the modern tactics-focused game that makes everything more rigid as players play more as well-drilled units than individuals banding together for 90 minutes.

Tactics are bad now, very little variety to teams these days, the importance of them in the modern game has increased because the stricter tackling laws allowing the game to be faster, players are more 'generic' than ever before and the whole obsession over Pep's modern interpretation of total football is progressing this ideology more and more. Back before the tackling laws changed in 2007. Teams would built strategies entirely to suit their unique superstars rather than have a core philosophy everyone is forced to abide to.

The whole joy of football dies quickly these days for many players, the game becomes a job the majority these days which is sad reality to the nature of the game in 2019.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Footballs usually cyclical, I’d expect it to get back on track sooner rather than later

Greece in 04 killed international football ever since, Spain in 2010 put the bail in the coffin

Won’t be long before it gets back where it should do imo
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:04 pm

https://footballchronicle.co/2020/01/21 ... -solution/

I am a traditionalist but the super league is inevitable.

Just a question of when and 2024 seems to be the date of change in full swing.

Hard to really put into words anymore since I feel like I have said more than enough already regarding what a total mess football is in. Which is why i have to big up this article for at least not giving into the nonsense sky sports esque rhetoric of 'football is always getting better'. The truth is its a mess and it does need a entirely new structure not even for the big clubs but for the smaller teams to find their place in this new paradigm.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:02 am

elkanofan wrote:https://footballchronicle.co/2020/01/21/european-football-is-broken-and-a-super-league-is-its-inevitable-imperfect-solution/

Hard to really put into words anymore since I feel like I have said more than enough already regarding what a total mess football is in. Which is why i have to big up this article for at least not giving into the nonsense sky sports esque rhetoric of 'football is always getting better'. The truth is its a mess and it does need a entirely new structure not even for the big clubs but for the smaller teams to find their place in this new paradigm.

I can agree with you on this.
The only thing that can save football is some form of of financial crash and a collapse in wages and fees.
Money ruined the game.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:38 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:https://footballchronicle.co/2020/01/21/european-football-is-broken-and-a-super-league-is-its-inevitable-imperfect-solution/

I can agree with you on this.
The only thing that can save football is some form of of financial crash and a collapse in wages and fees.
Money ruined the game.
Yes.

The financial apocalypse is a matter of when, i think sometime after the US election in 2021 is the most likely timeframe for this but this really could happen at anytime the elite are comfortable enough, until then they will keep printing more and more money so no bank goes under.

Once this happens. This will thus create the financial crash within football in which serious changes can finally happen which is much needed. Its important for us the real fans and lovers of the game, us who love the grassroots as much as the Premier League to act to help make sure the future benefits us since football should always be and remain a community game where anyone of any status can come and share their love for their team.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:21 am

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51335993

Landmark day in football history.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Previous

Return to World Football