The quality of Football is going downhill! Anyone agree?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Is modern day football going downhill in terms of the quality the top players exbibit?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes : 38

Re: The quality of Football is going downhill! Anyone agree?

Postby JordanTheGunner » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Senderos
Cygan
Squillaci

How has the quality of defenders dropped?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Massa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:55 pm

In terms of football overall.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:01 pm

skills of the players are higher.in terms of the overall teams it is getting much worse as the teasms that can afford the cream are few,in terms of Arsenal this is the worst defensive Arsenal team i have seen since the early seventies till now in my time watching Arsenal and i beleive the most un-imaginive attacking Arsenal side in a while point is we have only one tactic.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 pm

VCC wrote:skills of the players are higher.

Not really, they do all these flashy skill moves and tricks but pure ball control is pretty average compared o what it was in the 70's 80's 90's and early 00's! Look at Messi, hi ball control is awesome but it's nothing we ain't seen before.

You just get more and more tanks now!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby shamrock11 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:02 pm

I cant really judge as i only started watching football 7-8 years ago,but some teams take a very dreadful approach,I think we still have many brilliant games every season
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Gunflash » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:22 pm

The financial rewards are so high that teams are afraid of losing. The fear manifests itself in the abundance of negative tactics. Most teams use a variation of a 4-5-1, which is based on the principle of flooding the midfield. Occasionally it can produce attacking football, if you've got the skilful players to make it work (Chelsea did play some good stuff during their 2005 title win using that formation) but in general teams use it to try and squeeze out draws or maybe nick a win. The World Cup is meant to be a festival of attacking football but it has been strangled by the 4-2-3-1 formation. Football is all about strength, power and fitness these days. There's little room for the unusual.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby elkanofan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Man City's implosion at the moment are starting to fully sum up what is seriously wrong in football!

They already put the final nail in the coffin with all the ridiculous spending but their implosion really sums things up, the metaphors of world class players cannot perform world class acts when they are not provided with the sufficient help from their teammates to do so. They cannot also perform world class acts when sat on a bench.

At the beginning of the season they were showing how much far ahead they were of everyone. At the end they are showing the world why you need to have a team instead of group of individuals. Balotelli was terrible today, however someone raised a brilliant point which I noticed also, at the end of the first half, he injured his ribs and was receiving treatment, I was laughing a bit of the novelty, Balotelli had sustained some bruising to his ribs and by chance he was lying on the floor while the rest of the players were going down the tunnel, he's always doing something different Balotelli, but anyone notice how none of his teammates went over to him to check how he was? Yes, they may had been angry with his behaviour but that says it all really, it shows how the city players deep down really don't care much about each over, they are just their to earn their money and do their job, hopefully winning something at the end of the season, if not, well i'm still rich anyway.

That attitude is why many would be world class players fail for world class players to emerge they need quality around them to help them perform, if players don't want to help each over out, if they don’t care, if there is a lack of desire to perform and players just look at football as a job, how will the game advance in quality over time? it will only get worse! Beniot Asso Ekotto is the only player honest enough to tell it like it is:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... am-hotspur

Balotelli has some very evident demons in his head, instead of people trying to understand them, they either try using force to ignore them, DON'T DO THAT, without understanding why he's doing it in the first place.

Carlos Tevez is supposed to be a world class player, but he is nowhere near his best because of in house fighting and narcissistic stubbornness. This is a metaphor for many players however.

His teammate Nasri, funnily enough was playing like a house on fire last season, until contract extension talks opened, it was reported we offered him 90k a week, we belieeved he wanted more, again funnily enough his performance dropped off after that, once the season ended he left for Man City and a whopping pay rise and the ambition to win trophies, yes, really Nasri! Let's look at it another way, why did he step up his performance so much, was it simply to earn a bigger contract?

When it was all going well for city during 2011, despite the fact the players were all apart from Joe Hart and Richards, mercenaries, the feel good factor and form meant even if the players cared little for eachother they all got along diplomatically to maintain their happiness and again to achieve the goal set, "

"I'm being paid a lot of money to play here so we will have to win something, we are all playing really well and i enjoy people saying nice things about me to supply to my ego".

Once this all falls apart, the true feelings manifest and players look at it from the opposite angle.

"Well, we aren’t going to win anything, who cares, I get paid anyway, it's all so and so's fault".

It just so happen that so and so is usually blaming someone else for his problems instead of taking responsibility.

Lionel Messi is one of the few players who isn't a mercenary, lives for football and actually cares about his teammates his performance, despite in the context of players during the 80's and 90's where he would had been seen as a very good player or maybe just about world class, in this generation where many players really don't give a monkeys and play only for the money, he's literally seen as a good, I think this is the key to his modesty, he himself doesn’t understand why he's so good, it's simple, not many players actually care much about trophies and leaving a legacy, their new Bugatti veron is far more important to them.

Even his very distant rival Crisitano, he don't care about football, he only cares about his ego, he expects his teammates to give him his crazy stats which can be used when he markets himself! He doesn’t care about his shameless diving, he just loves his materialistic lifestyle and being the worlds second best isn't good enough for his image. He still don't understand to become the best, it's not about the stats, it's about how you play, how you act when you play and how people perceive you, all the 'haters’ he disregards are the people who actually give you your title.

Again, football is about your competition, now look at city, when Barca’s competition around Europe at best are these big plastic mercenary teams in which the players ego’s run the teams in Man City, Chelsea and soon PSG and Malaga, when many of the world’s best are stacked up in their squads, many sitting on the bench, how is this good for improving the overall quality of football, when you have honest teams struggling just to survive also.
You can only be judged on what you beat, when what you beat is of poor quality, we need to question where is the quality?

That should explain which Messi has with ease notched up 60 goals already this season, which is just a joke! A joke how substandard the quality of football as a whole is.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:20 pm

I love football now the same as i did when i was a kid. But one thing i will say is, If every player was like Tevez and Balotelli i would hate the game. I cannot stand them 2.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 pm

I remember similar criticisms of us when we first fielded a team of foreigners. We were told that they dive too much and that would creep into the domestic game. We were told that they would not be as loyal as home grown players. We were told that it would be bad for our international team.

A non-uk manager filling the team with foreign players was once sern as bad as a sugar daddy spending big money is seen now.

You have to move with the times. Dein did that when he brought in Wenger who filled the team with foreign players and tried to again when he introduced kroenke and usmanov to the club. We must move with the times if we want to win major silverware again!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:08 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:I remember similar criticisms of us when we first fielded a team of foreigners.

I remember Chelsea getting it before us as well. Le Saux started to lose his place and then it was only Wise and sometimes Duberry who were the only English players in the team iirc. I remember it being a big news story at the time, not just the sports news but overall news.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:15 pm

Yes, it was our fans saying it, until Wenger started winning things doing it. Then suddenly it became acceptable and 'the right thing to do' to sign 'cheaper' foreign players rather than paying more for domestic talent.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:18 am

You make it sound like AW abandoned English players altogether, he just looked past nationality and bought the best players for the money we had. While i always wanted more English players at the time, i always agreed that paying an extra £10m for the same player but English was lunacy.

We were castigated for it and yet nowadays, we field as many English players as any other big club with Gibbs, Jenkinson, Walcott, Wilshere and Oxo, not to mention Ramsey who is British or our academy.

And what you are forgetting RE Dein is that he didn't get Kroenke or the Russian involved with for our benefit, he did it for his own gain, which is what got him booted out in the first place.

Selling out to a big owner is not moving with the times, its taking the easy way out, and taking a large amount of credability with it, Man Utd are owned by Yanks but they do not and have not acted like sugar daddies, in fact they brought a lot of debt to the club and the majority of Man Utd players are bought with the operating profit of the club.

This summer will be one of the first times that our policy of spending what we earn could actually yield some great results, and as of yet we still do not know what the financial fair play rules will bring to the table.

All i know is that we have had a bad season by our standards, and yet we are still 3rd, a injection of quality in several key areas will work wonders, Podolski is already here, Vertonghen according to De Boer is leaving for us this summer and we will have Wilshere back.

As for this thread, Football has not always been one consistent line of brilliance, every league has had their ups and downs and i believe we are just going through a blip again.

If anything the emergence of Spurs, Newcastle and Man Shitteh is good for the league because it upsets the status quo, something that is never ever likely to happen while their are such severe financial gulfs between Barcelona and Real and then the rest of the league.

In terms of the most competitive, it has to be the Germans because other than Bayerns dominance they have different winners regularly, often teams who in previous seasons finished midtable or just above ala Dortmund.

I still think however overall quality wise, the Premier League is the best, simply because so many other teams find it difficult to play with the hard and fast nature of it.

However, Spanish teams always get the rub of the green.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 am

It is better if players are English. I want our lads to be given a chance. But i want to see the best players in the world in our League. And we do see them. Even better when some of the worlds best have been at our Club. IE RVP, Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira etc, etc.
For me it is about the best players not where they are from. We have the best young English talent anyway= Jack.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:59 am

GG - is that true about vertonghen?

If so makes me wonder if mertesacker's injury is worse than we thought.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:26 am

Plymouth Gooner wrote:GG - is that true about vertonghen?

If so makes me wonder if mertesacker's injury is worse than we thought.

Alledgedly he said a few days ago that Vertoghen has identified the club he wants to play for, we have made contact and he is reserved to him leaving.

The Mirror seems to think Mertesacker will be sold.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to World Football