The quality of Football is going downhill! Anyone agree?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Is modern day football going downhill in terms of the quality the top players exbibit?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes : 38

Re: The quality of Football is going downhill! Anyone agree?

Postby elkanofan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:07 am

Bumping this thread after than Everton vs Chelsea game, but that is not the main reason.

I've realized now the main way to discuss and properly judge the quality of football over different era is to compare world cups.

Let's compare semi finals:

Here is 1990:
West Germany vs England

Here is 2014:
Brazil vs Germany

Compare the defending and the amount of chances presented in both games! Brazil getting thumped 7-1 was a result that was building up, you had the 5-1 Netherlands Spain thrashing, you had bayern and real smashing schalke by 5 goals, we had us getting smashed 6-0 and 5-1 the season before, you had Bayern getting smashed 4-0, Barca the season earlier getting beat 7-0 on aggregate or was it 8-0 over two legs, these are called 'Blowouts' when one team gives in and gets annihilated.

Back 14 years ago we got beat 6-1 at Old Trafford, we had a reserve backline out that day and a much changed side in a game that didn't matter too much, that result was still freak and rare for two big teams to produce that. Nowadays we are getting these stupid scorelines where one teams gives up and forgets the concept of defending all too often.

This is indicative to the massive declining quality of our game, what annoyed me was yesterday the commentators who seem clearly instructed to spout 'how exciting the premier league is' when Everton completely forgot how to defend yesterday. I didn't enjoy the match yesterday, it was full of pathetic errors for both sides, it was like watching early teenagers in a Sunday league game.

It really hit me watching the West Germany vs England game and comparing how clinical both teams where when just a small amount of space was given in that game compared to the stupidness we saw in that Minerazao!

Its becoming more and more obvious, something needs to be done! There too many little things now creating a big problem.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Cripps » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:36 am

Yes
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:38 am

I like how you've picked 2 games that completely back your point, instead of giving multiple examples that give a full story.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby uvrays » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:38 am

Nope.
uvrays
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby elkanofan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 am

Pudpop wrote:I like how you've picked 2 games that completely back your point, instead of giving multiple examples that give a full story.

I spoke about the other big game blowouts which proceeded that 7-1 game such as Netherlands Spain, Chelsea Arsenal etc.. Did you read the text under the videos? I gave multiple examples in the first post years ago and apart from Neymar being Robinho with a bad haircut (he's a slightly better Robinho with a even worse haircut than before) my points still stand! That was 3 years ago i said it!

World Cups define the eras of football depending on the year so its the best way to compare generations.

That 7-1 was coming, it was a warning to football on what will continue to happen unless changes are made. The nation which has defined the game for so long lost it's tag as 'the' footballing nation in it's own back yard. Many Brazilians said that their legacy ended that day, football was the one thing all Brazilians where proud of, they threw it all away putting all their faith into a prima donna in Neymar, the fact it got to this situation is no accident and again is a sign of the declining times in football.

If Ronaldinho got injured in 2006, there was Kaka, el fenomenao and Adriano

If el fenomenao Ronaldo got injured in 2002, there was Rivaldo, Ronaldinho

the same in 1998 with Bebeto, Carlos instead of Dinho, then you have Romario, Zico, Socrates, Rivelino from the past all the way to Pele, Garrincha and the first Leonidas! I mean these are just a few names, thing is every single Brazil team always had a multitude of stars and never relied on one. the whole point of Brazil was to have a multitude of superstars, not one manufactured one! Before the game you had players wearing caps in support of 'Neymar'. can a player be any less pretentious? Whatever happened to football being a team game, the whole nation seemed to be more concerned over their new celebrity rather than actually doing the nation proud?

I'm not Brazilian but for this nation which has done so much good for the game to sink so low is truly symbolic for me. This nation used to represent the joy, creativity and freedom of the game, it seems now it's a nation who has used it's new found economic bomb to pimp itself out to the world. Brazil has paid the price for selling itself out to false idols!

This is just Brazil, i could go on about the lack of top quality defenders in the game, the declining technique, the severe lack of true creativity and individuality with so many players playing the same way which is dictated by academies, the child trafficking destroying football in Africa, the human trafficking by big clubs but i think that has all been covered.
Last edited by elkanofan on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:00 pm

World cups don't prove or disprove anything.

The only factor which has changed in football is money. Top players have always been highly paid but now you have a situation where even average players often retire as multimillionaires. I don't think this is helpful because it simply must effect some players' hunger if they know this to be the case.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby elkanofan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:31 pm

UFGN wrote:World cups don't prove or disprove anything.

The only factor which has changed in football is money. Top players have always been highly paid but now you have a situation where even average players often retire as multimillionaires. I don't think this is helpful because it simply must effect some players' hunger if they know this to be the case.

Yeah i know, like i said, we been over that and how it affects players love for the game, it was covered in the opening post regarding the grotesque amounts of cash in the game.

My new point regarding the world cup is every single result happens for a reason, teams don't lose because its accidental or just one of those things, the world cup is the biggest sporting even on the planet, more than the olympics where nobody really cares about any event apart from who wins the 100m sprint, everything else is just cheer your country's athlete in any event on TV.

Everything that happens defines the energy and quality of the football in that era. You look at that 7-1 there was zero chance of that ever happening in a semi final in any era between the 60' 70's 80's 90's even when you had surprise packages like Belgium, Bulgaria, Sweden and South Korea reaching the semi's.

Never since the at least the 60's has a big team defended so bad like that in a big match, now its common place!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 am

One match does not a trend make.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 am

football nowadays is better. Defending looks worse because teams now are more punishing when you make mistakes.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Nah was at it's best 10 years ago imo, conveniently timed for Arsenal rape.

But seriously, the rivalries have died down over here, diving is all over the show and any semi-strong tackled gets you booked. Rollback 10 years and get Grahame Poll + Andy Gray back
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dubs4Sam » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:40 pm

The quality of defending and the ability of defending being nullified to nearly non contact at this stage has resulted in footbal going downhill over all. Attacking players have it too easy now - what he see is more eye catching imo but the art of the game as a constant Defence v Attack has diminished.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby elkanofan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:22 am

Been a shitty day, this brought a smile to my face.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:07 am

£89.3 million!!!

Every year this thread becomes more and more prominent. Its like i though football was bad 4 years ago. Now, well sometimes you wonder why you bother eh?
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:47 am

It's in a better state of quality than it was 2/3 years ago
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zedie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:16 am

Sims wrote:It's in a better state of quality than it was 2/3 years ago

There's only 3 worldclass STs in the game. Football is on suicide watch
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football