The quality of Football is going downhill! Anyone agree?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Is modern day football going downhill in terms of the quality the top players exbibit?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes : 38

Re: The quality of Football is going downhill! Anyone agree?

Postby Cripps » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:21 pm

It's a bit dead.

Look forward to the World Cup and euros but club football is pretty much boring as f**k these days.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Dubs4Sam » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Is it the quality of football or the quantity of average football you are watching?

Majority of games are Big Team v Bus Parkers or Two Pubbers going head to head;

Friday Night Football
Sat Midday Kick Off
Sat 3pm Kick Off (SP5 in ROI)
Sat 5.30pm Kick Off
'Super Sunday' x3 Games
MNF
Europe or Domestic Cups Tue/Wed/Thurs
Sky Sports News for the Goals and MOTD and BT Highlights Package.

Its Saturation over Quality Selection of Which Matches to Watch.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:59 pm

CL has been pretty good so far. PL on the other hand has been dull. None of the exciting newnsignings (at any club) have blown up, and Leicester has gone back to being bang average.

Sent from my GEM-703L using Tapatalk
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:32 am

Zedie wrote:
Sims wrote:It's in a better state of quality than it was 2/3 years ago

There's only 3 worldclass STs in the game. Football is on suicide watch

Lewandowski, Benzema and Suarez.

Not too long ago in the past you used to have 3 world class strikers at just one team.

Saturation is an issue however i think Hilary Clintons twin in Mino Raiola is a prime example of a much bigger issue.

We have one genuine Wonderkid in Donnarumma, we have Renato Sanches who is a wonderkid but only in the context that pretty much all under 21 players are just 'good talents' who need a lot of work still. Very few genuinely exciting youngsters out there, mainly because they are all so hollow and shallow and dont have their own style and personallity.

Agents & Super clubs now have ALL the power and dont seem to care about the state of the game because they are getting paid so much.

I've had a fair amount of good time to watch many full matches and highlights of the top european leagues and there is a lack of excitement and creativity from teams. The game is heavily marketed to causal fans with money to spend on shirts to fit into modern society and kids who dont know and wouldn't know their history.

I cannot wait for Red Bull Leipzig to make Champions League next season. They have already beaten Dortmund who i like but they are a team with too many pretentious kids right now. I hope they are the catalyst for change and show football is truly, truly soulless.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:41 am

It's not what it used to be. Though there are a still a few flashes back to that brilliance. For example, Martinez's diving catch against Reading. You never see goalkeepers doing that any more.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby OptimusPrimett » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:02 pm

football is football, kick ball in to the back of the net.
some people just like moaning for the sake of it.
OptimusPrimett
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby OptimusPrimett » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:07 pm

20 years ago the ballon d'or was won by holding midfielder Matthias Sammer, this year it will be won by Lionel Messi.
Downward trend my arse.
OptimusPrimett
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Cripps » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Messi shouldn't win it lol

Sammer was f***ing quality
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:47 pm

Suarez should win it

He was by far the best footballer in the past year
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:02 am

The players themselves have said that Ballon D'Or is a marketing tool for football more than anything, so the highest profile players (usually attackers) win it. The award itself is not supposed to reflect the quality of football played.

Sent from my GEM-703L using Tapatalk
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:43 pm

It will probably be Cristiano due to winning the Euros and Champions League, despite him have a poor season for his legendary standards. He was class int he champions league especially winning the game all by himself vs Wolfsburg.

I think Suarez should win it, we need someone new and Suarez has consistently been brilliant all year.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:45 pm

OptimusPrimett wrote:20 years ago the ballon d'or was won by holding midfielder Matthias Sammer, this year it will be won by Lionel Messi.
Downward trend my arse.

Here is the list of players he beat including Ronaldo entering his prime:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or_1996

I'm assuming you're too young to remember but He was a huge part of the German team which won Euro 1996 hence he rightfully won the award.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Anyone heard of the term 'Predictive programming'?

elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby HisDudeness » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:50 pm

It has completely changed, Players in the 90s used to be fat... they would never be able to compete with half the teams nowadays. Also it's more tactical & less long ball-ish these days, staying super fit & eating the right foods, etc

Edit: It's just called getting older. If you go back alot of those teams wouldn't be able to compete nowadays... it has completely changed in style. You can't break people's legs anymore, etc.
HisDudeness
Michael Thomas

Postby elkanofan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:42 pm

Zedie wrote:
Sims wrote:It's in a better state of quality than it was 2/3 years ago

There's only 3 worldclass STs in the game. Football is on suicide watch

This was in 2016. I this was appropriate to put a timestamp on things. Football as a community game died a long time before Zedie's statement was made, this is moneyball now, teams like Juventus releasing four kits this season with three of them being featured with white predominantly on the shirt.

In the three years since this statement. In world football. We have pretty much the same crop of strikers with the single addition of Mbappe to that list. He's obviously a massive, world level player, but a flawed player. Cannot play with his back towards goal as a striker at all yet.

This sums up the next generation of talent really. Fast, great skills at times, but no decision making or discipline whatsoever.

The only consistent elite teams in football are Liverpool, Manchester City and to an extent Juventus. Every other elite team are a expensive, hot mess live infront of a soap opera we call 'Social Media'.

What prompted me to bump this thread was watching Barcelona yesterday who lost pathetically to Levante 3-1 and they showed issues very reminiscent to what we have seen at Arsenal. Messi has carried the team for at least 2 of the last 3 years and not one player can even get remotely close to not only his level but even to replace rudimentary top class talent like Rakitic to add some much needed refreshment in their midfield. They buy Frenkie de Jong who is slow on the ball and a clear DPL over the true quick footed creative playmaker with the physical attributes to consistently penetrate in the final 3rd along with being able to cover enough ground to maintain possession in central areas for 90 minutes. That type of player isn't going to emerge in this dull, sanitized, athlete centered version of the game we see today so easy and 'la masia' ain't producing one it seems like either!

I'm sad because i want to see players like this again as we did abundantly in the 90's and early 00's. The world want to see it!

Despite all these glaring issues their team is still comfortably one of the 3 best teams in Spain a long, long way ahead of everyone else. Also yes, they are still one of the favorites for this years Champions League because so few teams in Europe are near their level and they still have Messi. This is a very similar story in every other league around Europe, there the few 'elite' teams have such an unfair financial advantage no matter how terrible the flaws are, they can always power through with money.

Football in 2019!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football