International Football Discussion

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: International matches

Postby LMAO » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:lmao our young bloods drew with France in Lyon.

I'm not going to overreact or anything, but France stands no chance at the World Cup.

Shocker

Thought it was obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Now I have hope we'll win the WC on home soil in 2026 :hiding: let a man dream about a championship in a ubiquitous global sport that isn't basketball
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Re: International Football Discussion

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:27 am

If R9 didn't have a seizure or whatever do you think Brazil could've beaten France in the '98 Final?

Also would've meant Ronaldo winning 2 WCs and Zidane zero, interesting to think how different their legacies would be now.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:00 am

You're asking if R9 could've scored a hat-trick. Sure he could have, but even if he were healthy, it wasn't happening against France's defense in France; they only surrendered two goals that World Cup. It may have ended up being a one score game, but France still wins 49/50 times imo

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Also would've meant Ronaldo winning 2 WCs and Zidane zero, interesting to think how different their legacies would be now.

Had that happened, Zidane probably doesn't headbutt Materazzi in 2006, France goes on to win their first WC, and Zidane is immortalized by going out on top. Or France could've butterfly effected revenge on Brazil in 2002 instead of Germany losing to them in the final. Hard to say.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 am

Hey Brandon, don't worry. Murican federation is doing its best to hang in with the big boys before WC 2026 or even the WC in Qatar. :P

Apparently, they're pushing for another Copa America in 2020 in the states. Since the last one was hugely successful and a spectacle that really presented USA to the world, they want to host another one in 2020.

CONMEBOL wasn't keen but then in the phone line, which wasn't rather clear, they happened to hear, "money."

"Uh, ken u repeat what you have just uh sed?"
"Blah blah blah profits, money blah blah blah"
"We arre ready. Shud we kome tomorrow? I call Messi?"

Scenes when Argentina lose to Chile again on penalties.

Gosh, with two Copas coming up, we have to win one at least. This is getting ridiculous. Losing 6 major finals in 14 years and 3 in a row - that only happens to Benfica. It's really numbing.

Nvm, Infantino has also been pushing for more international football apparently. From 2020 onwards, the Copas and the Euros would be hosted in the same year (24, 28, 32...). With different timings - so that they don't overlap,

2018 - World Cup
2019 - Copa
2020 - Copa
2021 - Confed Cup or FIFA Club World Cup (24 Clubs in a World Cup style - yet to be decided)
2022 - World Cup
2023 - FIFA Club World Cup (if not hosted in 2021)

Every summer a footy. :shocked:

Regarding the FIFA Club World Cup, so far the dates are undecided but Infantino is pushing for it. It may replace the Confederations Cup for good, or it may slot into the vacant slot between the World Cup and the Euros/Copa (23, 27, 31).

12 clubs from Europe + 5 clubs from South America + 2 from Asia + 2 from Africa + 2 from North America + 1 from Oceania. From Europe, it'll be the UCL and EL winners of the past 4 years AND the runners-up of the UCL.

Tbh, I don't really get this extended FIFA Club World Cup thingy. It'll end up becoming FIFA Club European Cup by the QFs.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 am

Football is finally kind of accessible to lower income individuals here; our MLS academies are now free for players - except for DC and Minnesota, I believe. And the quality of the academies has improved a lot over the past 10 years. I won't be surprised if we have a breakthrough like Germany has experienced with its academies. Honestly, it's only a matter of time before we're able to consistently challenge the top European and South American countries—may not be for another 20-30 years, but the day is coming.

I haven't heard anything about a 2020 Copa America since last year. It'd be awesome, but the rumors have gone quiet. I'd love to scrap the Gold Cup and have a Copa America that combines CONCACAF and CONMEBOL. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to win an international trophy, but the Gold Cup is honestly so underwhelming; it's always us or Mexico (and Canada in 2000 wtf lol), we've been in 10/14 finals, and it seems like either us or Mexico sends a B team half the time. I'd rather see the US play against top teams for a trophy, even if we won't see as much success.

Why would the Euros and Copa be at different times? Euro game are usually morning/early afternoon in the Americas (evening/night in Europe), and the Copa is played in the normal evening and night slots in the Americas (late night/early morning in Europe). I know it's for viewership numbers, but a stadium can only hold so many people.

Yeah, you Argies are definitely snakebitten. I can imagine your pain; it's like USA basketball going without a gold medal in the Olympics (looking at 2004 and Argentina). Your quality should've brought you at least one title in the last 14 years. But hey, look at it this way, at least you're blessed (or cursed?) enough to consistently make it to finals.

The FIFA Club World Cup is stupid tbh, but I'll still watch it, even if like you said, it turns into the Champions League by the quarterfinals.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Santi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Cristiano
Mbappe
Messi
Modric
Varane
Salah
Griezmann
KDB
Kane
Hazard

was genuinely tempted to put Mbappe top given his World Cup but think its gotta go to cristiano
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Messi ~ 45 goals and 12 assists last season. Won La Liga and CDR.

How could he not be in the top-2 for you guys?

Ron has 44 goals and 8 assists. Won the UCL.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:13 pm

It's 2018 + world cup factored in.

In hindsight realised yesterday that KDB was too high cos he wasn't as good after January and had a poor WC but couldn't be bothered to do it again.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Since this isn't WC Player of the Year.

Mbappe for Ballon d'Or if only one game counted (Fra/Arg).
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:04 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44965630

There's probably a joke here about women knowing their place but I won't go looking for it. ;)
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Jimmy Skitz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:55 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d ... -leicester

Jamie Vardy has all but retired from playing for England after informing Gareth Southgate that he believes the time is right for him to focus solely on club football.

The Leicester striker, who turns 32 in January, says that a number of factors have influenced his decision, including his age and a desire to spend more time with his family, after accepting he is unlikely to feature much for England even if he remains part of the squad.

Vardy, who has won 26 caps and been in every England squad since his first call-up in May 2015, spoke to Southgate just before returning from the World Cup finals in Russia, to explain that he was thinking of stepping aside. He confirmed that was still his intention during a telephone conversation with Southgate a fortnight ago, when the England manager wondered whether Vardy might have changed his mind before next month’s fixtures against Spain and Switzerland.

Southgate told Vardy he felt the striker “still had a lot to offer” at international level but the manager also understood the thinking behind the player’s decision. With England not exactly blessed with striking options, Southgate and Vardy have agreed to “not shut the door completely”, although he would return only if there were a major injury crisis.

“To be honest with you, this has been on my mind for a while,” Vardy told the Guardian. “I’m not getting any younger and you can see, to be fair to the gaffer, he wants to make it more youthful, which obviously had its benefits during the World Cup – we got to the semi-finals and finished fourth, which is equal to the furthest we have ever been on foreign soil. So I just said to Gareth that I think it’s probably best from now on, especially with the way he wants to go, to bring youngsters in who he thinks have got the ability and start nurturing them into international football.”

Asked whether the prospect of travelling with England but not playing much had influenced his decision, Vardy replied: “Yeah, I think that had an impact. When you get selected, you want to be playing. If you’re playing week in, week out for your club, you want to be going to England to play as well. And if it’s not happening, then for me personally now, at this age, it’s better to be at home, spending that time with my family and training with my club, preparing for the next game after the international break.”

Vardy added: “I explained it all to Gareth and he was fine with my decision. I mentioned it to him after the World Cup had finished, out in Russia, and then I spoke to him on the phone a couple of weeks ago. He let it die down a bit, so that I could have a bit more time to think, and then rang me up just to make sure I wasn’t just taking the mickey in Russia. But I hadn’t changed my mind. Gareth said that he felt I still had a lot to offer, and we’ve not shut the door completely. If the worst came to happen and everyone was injured, then obviously I wouldn’t say no.”

Vardy speaks highly of Southgate, describing him as “brilliant” and praising him for helping to create the togetherness that made England “feel like a club environment”, although he admitted he was frustrated not to play more at the World Cup, especially in the semi-final against Croatia, when he only got on for the last eight minutes of extra time. “I thought I could have helped a bit more if I had more minutes,” Vardy said. “You know that you can hurt opponents in certain ways, in the way you play. But it wasn’t to be. And you have to respect the manager’s decisions.”
Jimmy Skitz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:06 pm

An English legend
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Jimmy Skitz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:38 pm

Ach wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45328370?ns_source=facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_linkname=sport

Lol

He’s got a point
Jimmy Skitz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to World Football