The Italian Football Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: The Serie A/Coppa Italia Thread

Postby Gunpowder » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Milan-Juventus is on next weekend. Calculated
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cripps » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 pm

On the eve of his side's match against Fiorentina, Torino coach Sinisa Mihajlovic told the media at a pre-match news conference that he had not heard of Anne Frank. This week the Italian football federation (FICG) announced a passage from her diary would be read before forthcoming matches in response to acts of anti-Semitism by Lazio fans. (Calciomercato.com - in Italian)

Education system not very good in Yugoslavia as it was back then I take it
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Who's Frank?
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:50 pm

Buffon announces his retirement at the end of the season

I assume at the end of the world cup should Italy get there

Go out headbutting someone?
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Pirlo announces his retirement. Legend. Arguably the best midfielder of this generation
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:21 pm

He was a joy to watch!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 am

From living on the streets to making his debut for Pescara against Milan

Mamadou Coulibaly impresses in Serie A after two-year journey from Senegal

Two years ago Mamadou Coulibaly left his home in Senegal with only a backpack. Now, he's playing in one of the top leagues in the world.

His parents thought he was dead. If the boat carrying him had sunk he almost certainly would have been. But on in May this year, the 18-year-old completed his journey by playing the full 90 minutes for Pescara against one of the teams he supports, AC Milan, as they drew 1-1.

"I left with a backpack," Coulibaly told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I only told Mamadou, my best friend. My parents thought I was in school. I turned off my phone, I didn't call them for three or four months. They thought I was dead.

"My family weren't poor ... But papa didn't want me to play football. For him it was only important to study. Ours is a family of teachers. He told me he would take me to some European teams but it was only so I would be good. I risked my life for football, but I also did so for them: soon I will be able to help them."

Players talk about making sacrifices to reach the top but few will have known the hardship Coulibaly endured on his incredible journey, which took him to Pescara via Morocco, Marseille, Grenoble, Livorna and Roma, and which left him homeless and starving at times.

"I got to the boat by bus," Coulibaly said. "I paid for a ticket from Dakar to Morocco and it wasn't dangerous. It was worse after. I slept in the port in Morocco. I didn't have money for the boat.

"A man saw me for several days and he asked me what I was doing there, sleeping on the street. I replied to him that I wanted to go to Europe. After a few days he returned: he worked on a boat which was going to France, he told me I could get on ... It wasn't dangerous but I don't know how to swim. If the boat had sunk I would have died."

Coulibaly arrived in Marseille and went to live briefly in Grenoble with his aunt. But he wanted to pursue his dream of becoming a professional footballer.

"The start at Livorno was the most difficult. A man had taken me there to present me to some teams, then one morning I woke up in a hotel and he wasn't there anymore," Coulibaly said. "I didn't have money, I didn't know anyone, I didn't speak Italian."

The teenager didn't let that get him down and he was spotted playing football on the beach by Livorno scouts. The Serie B team wanted to sign him but Coulibaly didn't have any documents, so he continued his journey. Things grew steadily worse.

"I was sleeping on the streets and maybe in a day I managed to eat a sandwich," he said. "I was in Rome and then they told me that there were many Senagalese in Pescara, so I took the train without paying the ticket.

"I got down at Roseto, the wrong stop, and I slept on a sports field. The police found me and took me to a foster home in Montepagano."

Coulibaly slept on the sports field for three days before he was taken to the foster home, which helped him get documents, and shortly after he was signed by Pescara following a trial.

The midfielder, who only recently left the foster home for a shared room in a boarding school for the youth team, played just two matches with Pescara's youngsters before making his senior debut in the final 20 minutes of the club's match at Atalanta on March 19.

Coulibaly was handed his first start against Milan on Sunday and was one of the best on the pitch -- in just his fourth proper match, including his time in Senegal.

"I had a bit of football school in Senegal when I was a kid and I learnt how to play on the street," he said. "The rest from TV. I always watched so many matches and I learnt the movements. Playing comes natural to me."

Being a Manchester United and France fan too, Coulibaly will have closely watched the movements of Paul Pogba, with whom he has been compared. Some who have watched him closely have even said he is better than the midfielder.

Coulibaly, who did not let the hardships affect him, has not let the comparisons go to his head either.

"When he arrived he didn't have anything, neither clothes nor documents," Nadia Mazzocchitti, who was in charge of the foster home, said. "He was immediately very humble, smiley, very polite and respectful.

"Now he still calls me all the time. He's still a boy, maybe even a bit shy."

Pescara are all but mathematically relegated, bottom of Serie A, nine points from safety with eight matches remaining but it is unlikely Coulibaly will stay in Serie B for long.

http://www.espnfc.com/us-pescara/story/ ... om-senegal
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Cripps » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:55 am

Allegri summoning his inner Wenger by not playing Buffon and Barzagli for Juve cos of Italys failure

Juve lost unsurprisingly

Szczesny chance to impress. Concedes 3 goals
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:33 pm

Montella sacked

Milan need a new manager
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Udinese 8-3 Perugia :lol:

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby KG3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:52 am

Zenith wrote:Udinese 8-3 Perugia :lol:

Don't even know how you mock them for this results considering the fact that United beat us by a similar result a couple years back.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:10 am

KG3 wrote:
Zenith wrote:Udinese 8-3 Perugia :lol:

Don't even know how you mock them for this results considering the fact that United beat us by a similar result a couple years back.

I'm not mocking anyone, that's merely your inaccurate perception in what appears to be a fruitless attempt to take the moral high ground.

Watching bits and pieces of this game I was amazed by all the drama that went on.

- 3 penalties
- 11 goals in 90 minutes
- End to end stuff all game long
- Perugia getting themselves back into the game after going 4 goals down
- Maxi Lopez scoring 4

All in all just a crazy game of football.

I mean no, I get great satisfaction out of ridiculing lower league teams when they lose to a superior side. Smh.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Napoli 0-1 Juve

Higuaín scored

That's gotta sting

Inter can go top
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:46 am

Looks like another title for Juventus
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:40 am

Fiorentina’s 31 year old captain Davide Astori found dead this morning, cardiac arrest apparently

Was about to sign a 3 year deal and had a second child born two weeks ago

rip capitano
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to World Football