Ljungberg announces retirement

Talk about the Euro 08 Championships here.

Ljungberg announces retirement

Postby Trina » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:05 am

Sweden captain Fredrik Ljungberg has announced his retirement from international football.

Ljungberg has opted to hang up his boots for Sweden, but will continue to play at club level with West Ham.

Sweden failed to progress beyond the group stages at Euro 2008 and the 31-year-old midfielder has now decided the time is right to bring to an end almost 11 years at international level.

"The simple fact is that the physical strain of doubling on the national team and in club football for such a long time has finally taken its toll," Ljungberg said in a letter on the web site of Swedish paper Helsingborg Dagbladet.

Focus

"And that is why I have decided to concentrate on playing for West Ham United and that is where my focus will be.

"I can honestly say that I have loved every match, especially the undying support that you the fans have always given us players.

"I will carry on playing soccer at the highest level in the Premier League for several more years and I love this sport more than anything."

Ljungberg made his debut for Sweden against USA in January 1998 and went on to make 71 appearances and scored 14 goals.

http://www.skysports.com/football/euro2 ... 69,00.html
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Ljungberg announces retirement

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:45 am

He was shit at the Euro's. Dunno how he got made captain either to be honest, he ain't really the leader type. In my opinion he's a bit of a mouse when it comes to the crunch.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby rogerthornhill » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:44 am

I don't remember the precise details but I can remember him being critical of Arsenal when he left. He said that he wanted to join a club with a chance of winning trophies.................so he joined West Ham.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:10 am

rogerthornhill wrote:I don't remember the precise details but I can remember him being critical of Arsenal when he left. He said that he wanted to join a club with a chance of winning trophies.................so he joined West Ham.

Yeah, and he cussed AW for letting the likes of him go, undermining our championship challenge :rolleyes:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:02 pm

gzagee wrote:
rogerthornhill wrote:I don't remember the precise details but I can remember him being critical of Arsenal when he left. He said that he wanted to join a club with a chance of winning trophies.................so he joined West Ham.

Yeah, and he cussed AW for letting the likes of him go, undermining our championship challenge :rolleyes:

That was a false story I thought, he came back and said that he didn't say any of that.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cheese » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:24 pm

ChVint22 wrote:That was a false story I thought, he came back and said that he didn't say any of that.

Yeah he did come out and say it was all BullSh**.

Ljungberg is still a good player but i think he has choosen right by deciding to retire from internationals.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to UEFA Euro 2008