A Fab display

Talk about the Euro 08 Championships here.

A Fab display

Postby arseman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:35 am

Cesc Fabregas showed why he is a vital member of Spain's squad by scoring the winning penalty in their 4-2 shoot-out victory over Italy.

However, it wasn't just his composure from 12 yards that caught the eye in Vienna as the midfielder provided a rare ray of sunshine in an otherwise dull encounter.

The Arsenal star came on as a second-half sub for the ineffective Xavi and immediately caused problems for Italy with his high-octane display.

Fabregas quickly produced a superb cross to set up a chance for David Villa, which was bravely blocked by Gianluca Zambrotta.

And the 21-year-old saw a powerful strike from just inside the Azzurri box blocked by Giorgio Chiellini at the start of extra-time.

On the basis of this display, Fabregas has to start against Russia on Thursday.

And he should line-up alongside the equally impressive Marcos Senna in the centre of Spain's midfield.

The Villarreal player oozed class throughout this quarter-final clash and was one of the few men on the pitch who kept the ball with ease.

Many of the Premier League's top clubs could do worse than bolster their ranks with the Brazilian-born midfielder during the summer transfer window.

But it wasn't such a good night for Villa and Fernando Torres, who both failed to shine as the match ended goalless after extra-time.

Villa was the more impressive of Spain's two strikers, closing down his opponents and looking to find space at every opportunity, however his hard work did not lead to any meaningful efforts on goal.

Chiellini was superb at the back for Italy and it was his display that stopped the Valencia striker making an impact.

Torres was also shackled impressively by the Italian defence, and he failed to create any problems for the Azzurri during the 85 minutes he was on the field.

At one point the Liverpool forward went head-to-head with Fabio Grosso as he became frustrated by the slow tempo of the game.

Both strikers have reportedly been attracting interest from many of Europe's top clubs and, although that is sure to continue, their stock has dropped slightly after this clash.

As for Italy, Alberto Aquilani, who has been linked with a move to Arsenal in recent weeks, was poor throughout.

The Roma midfielder was anonymous and, on the basis of his display in this quarter-final clash, Arsene Wenger, who watched the match next to Zinedine Zidane in Vienna, would be well advised to look elsewhere for reinforcements in the summer transfer market.

Luca Toni was again an isolated figure at the head of the Azzurri's attack. The Bayern Munich star has failed to show at any stage during this tournament the form that has made him the most feared striker in the Bundesliga. He will have a lot to prove when he plays in the Champions League next season.

Chiellini was Italy's best player on the night and looked solid throughout the 120 minutes. However the Juventus defender is an integral part of his club's side, so it looks unlikely we will see him play in the Premier League any time soon.

SkySports
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: A Fab display

Postby SE13 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:47 am

CESC FABREGAS showed the bravery of a bullfighter to blast Spain into the Euro 2008 semi-finals with a priceless shootout penalty.

Iker Casillas had saved two Italian spot-kicks to give the Arsenal star the chance to steer his country to a major semi for the first time since the European Championships in 1984.

Cool Fabregas said: “It could have been any other penalty that I had to take. From my point of view Spain deserved to win.

"This is for the fans who have come here in thousands.”

Spain, penalty kings by 4-2, will now face Russia in Vienna on Thursday.

But hero keeper Casillas insisted he and his team-mates are not taking victory for granted after spanking Russia 4-1 in the group stage.

Casillas said: “The last time I saved a penalty was in the 2002 World Cup against the Republic of Ireland.

“But in no way do we now think that because we have already beaten Russia we will win easily in the semi-final.”

Spain last beat Italy in a competitive game 88 years ago and boss Luis Aragones is confident they can go all the way.

Aragones said: “I believe we can do more. We are convinced we can reach the final and win it.”

Gutted Italy chief Roberto Donadoni, whose future will be decided at an Italian FA meeting later this week, declared: “I’m proud of my players. They gave their best.

“It’s a great disappointment for our fans. I’ve lost so many times on penalties.”

© The Sun Online

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:34 am

As for Italy, Alberto Aquilani, who has been linked with a move to Arsenal in recent weeks, was poor throughout.

The Roma midfielder was anonymous and, on the basis of his display in this quarter-final clash, Arsene Wenger, who watched the match next to Zinedine Zidane in Vienna, would be well advised to look elsewhere for reinforcements in the summer transfer market.

Hmm :tumbleweed:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:01 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:

Hmm :tumbleweed:

Too bloody true! I can't see what the fuss is about with him. He was anonymous against Manure as well.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Catalan pair puncture Russian resistance

Postby arseman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:31 am

Sometimes football is just unfair. How did Spain come to be so blessed that a tiny area of Catalonia, between Terassa and Arenys de Mar, produced two such remarkably similar talents as Xavi Hernández and Cesc Fàbregas?

Age separates them - the FC Barcelona midfielder is seven years older than the pocket genius who has flourished at Arsenal FC - but in terms of talent, temperament, physique and impact it is hard to tell them apart. On Thursday night Xavi's goal broke Russia's resistance in the UEFA EURO 2008™ semi-finals, then his junior partner applied the coup de grâce. If the superfluity of talent at Luis Aragonés's disposal needed any underlining then Fàbregas's achievements at this tournament provide every illustration.

Fàbregas seems much older than his years because he started playing top-level football for the Gunners aged only 16. Now 21, the midfielder arrived at this tournament knowing he would start as a substitute after a season when Arsenal's quest for gold turned to ashes. The younger of the pair moved to London because his path was blocked by the elder statesman at the Camp Nou but there is no bad feeling between the two. Regular attendees in Neustift, where Aragonés has allowed the media to watch preparations in full, have seen the diminutive Catalans chatting, jogging and chewing over the issues of the day. The Arsenal man may have been disappointed by his place on the bench but it was impossible to tell from his attitude and work ethic in Austria.

Against Russia the two gelled beautifully. Fàbregas was his coach's high-stakes bet to replace the injured David Villa and by the end of the night it was jackpot time, again, for Aragonés the high roller. All his decisions have come off during this EURO. Fàbregas's first assist, a delicate dink over the defence for Daniel Güiza to dart in and score, was worthy of Messrs Cruyff, Maradona and Platini. His second was a slide-rule pass for David Silva to add icing to the very large cake. By that time Xavi had long been replaced, resting for Sunday's final against Germany.

Guus Hiddink has seen enough quality players at close quarters to know when he is on to something and could only add to the superlatives when analysing his side's comprehensive defeat. "The movement of the Spanish midfield is excellent and when Villa was changed for Fàbregas there was even more movement," said the Russia coach. "We could handle [Fernando] Torres and Villa but with the midfielder coming on they played more one-touch football. There was a lot of changing of positions at a good pace. You feel as though it's a matter of time [before they score]." Never has the coach's time-honoured phrase "it's a nice dilemma to have" been more apposite. Xavi and Fàbregas, Xavi or Fàbregas, Señor Aragonés - the choice is yours. And you are a lucky man.

Euro2008.com
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:12 am

It's a shame he can't force his way into the midfield ATM. But that quartet of Silva, Xavi, Senna & Iniesta is quality.
I'm glad that Villa's misfortune should result in Fab getting a starting berth but, for the forseeable future the kid'll have to wait for either a loss of form or injury to either Xavi & Iniesta. They way they combined for the opener was almost telepathic!
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:23 am

All the pundits seem to be in vociferal agreement that as soon as Cesc comes on the team look 3 times more likely to score.
Last night was a great example of that but it's not the first time that it's happened.
Personally I think with a game as important as the final he should start from the beginning, especially now that Villa is injured.

But perhaps Aragones thinks that there's a noticeable benefit in bringing Cesc on to play against tired legs in the second half...?
It seems to have worked for him a few times now.
If he wins the final using that method then I won't question him or complain. In fact I'll be delighted for Cesc.
If Germany score early and Spain can't reply without Cesc it could be different.
If Spain don't score in the first half without Cesc's attacking instincts and then when he comes on after 65 minutes they're already 2-0 down I'll be screaming "SHOULD'VE PLAYED HIM FROM THE START!" at the TV.

Whatever happens I'll be rooting for Spain. Can't have the bloody Germans winning again can we. :naughty:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Swifty » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Fab is gona need a new name after the commentators wore his old one out, the man was all over the park & his passing was superb. He really is looking like captain material, Spain to go all the way, go on Cesc, do us proud.
Swifty
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Return to UEFA Euro 2008