Man Utd Vs Arsenal | Premiership 13/04/08

Re: Man Utd Vs Arsenal | Premiership 13/04/08

Postby Leody » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:14 pm

"We had plenty of chances and we were really unlucky not to win."

^Wenger

If I hear this from him one more time I swear I'm going to fly over to London and kick him right in the head. I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sick of hearing this. It doesn't matter at all if you don't win and I've heard that 10 times too many this season. It's not that we were unlucky... we weren't good enough you asshole!!! It's that simple. We can't finish and we don't shoot. That's why we lost, not because we were unlucky. Once or twice I would put it down to luck... but 10+ times it's not luck anymore... figure it out.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Leody wrote:
"We had plenty of chances and we were really unlucky not to win."

^Wenger

If I hear this from him one more time I swear I'm going to fly over to London and kick him right in the head. I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sick of hearing this. It doesn't matter at all if you don't win and I've heard that 10 times too many this season. It's not that we were unlucky... we weren't good enough you asshole!!! It's that simple. We can't finish and we don't shoot. That's why we lost, not because we were unlucky. Once or twice I would put it down to luck... but 10+ times it's not luck anymore... figure it out.

Spot on
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:I don't think he was talking about the number of points, but even so Liverpool are 5 points ahead of Everton and 9 ahead of Pompey, they can basically cruise to 4th place. I think his point was that there are a lot more bad teams in the league this year and the top clubs can and should be feasting on them. The bottom of the league seems to get worse and worse every season

In the context of their campaigns then they may be getting worse however not necessarily against the top teams. Bolton and West Ham have defeated Man Utd, Middlesborough have taken points and i think if you look at Liverpool and Chelsea, they have dropped significant points from bottom half teams. We have all done it, although we have done it a bit more than Chelsea and Utd, drawing instead of losing them (unlike last two seasons), but not enough to say it is a significant problem compared to the rest.

Fundamentally i think whatever points you need to finish in the top 4 shows how difficult it is.

The difference is, our manager came out and publicly stated we weren't trying to win one of the most prestigious domestic cups in the world, what sort of message is that to send? So in future we are only going to try and win 2 of the 4 competitions and thats ok?

I agree that is not ideal but at least he is honest about this season. I agree with you that we need to be challenging on all fronts but as has been said our inexperienced players will not stay inexperienced forever. A couple of new players alongside the ones we have now and hopefully fully fit should be enough to challenge on all fronts. We will have to see what the rhetoric is next season but i agree, we should be aiming to challenge on all fronts and i hope that is the language next season.

I am savaging us and I wouldn't take offense if you said it. Saying that I don't blame ANY of the players or the effort they put in throughout the season (apart from individual games here and there), but if they have no competition for places and always hear that they are perfect no matter how badly we play or f**k up, then they have no fear.

Yes that is true and it is up to Wenger to sort that out asap. The players need to learn to not let negative events get to them and also to play well with no competition as you say. They are psychological factors and not to do with ability and talent, if we can overcome them then we will achieve what we all want us to achieve. I just don't think we need a serious upheaval, we just need to change a few things.

It just strikes me that the team did not face this much heat after finishing 4th and only competing for the Carling Cup, this season we have been so close and i am sure that material success is not far away.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Swifty » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Seriously, it's getting to the stage where I don't want us to score, because we look so f***in vulnerable after we score, we might as well turn around, put it in our own net & start chasing the game from the kick off.

It's criminal the way we are wasting the creativity of our midfield, we're bossing the play, moving the ball around brilliantly, unlocking the defence & then simply failing when it comes to delivering an end product.

I have to say Hleb stood out as the MOTM, he was an absolute work horse & his foot work was as dazzling as ever, but we need another striker in the same mould as Eduardo, who will punish teams in that last third of the pitch.
Swifty
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Windass10 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Played well gutted but hey its the same story, now we had the best chance to win something and its going to be gutting facing another season trophyless.
Windass10
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby singaporegooner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:30 am

Swifty wrote:Seriously, it's getting to the stage where I don't want us to score, because we look so f***in vulnerable after we score, we might as well turn around, put it in our own net & start chasing the game from the kick off.

Thats exactly what i feel...Whenever we score, i get the feeling we'll let the opposition back into the game either with a stupid foul or a lapse of concentration...

While its still a few games away from the end of the season, what we have the chance now is try out a few players and see if they are suitable for the league.

What is to be said about our season, basically can be summed up in a few words :
1) Horrible luck (with injuries and ref decisions)
2) Insufficient strength indepth (largely due to long term injuries)

I'm horribly gutted that we have lost the league title and the champions league...
But this season isn't going to make me stop supporting Arsenal.
We have seen early in the season that our team can match and best some of the top top clubs in the world (read Milan).

What we need to do now, is to sort out the injury problems we have and regroup, add on to positions we need, and have another crack at it next season.

This season has been absolutely heart-breaking for the supporters, and i'm sure as much as for the players. I hope this season will serve as a lesson to them(esp the younger ones) of how important it is to be able to grind out the results when you need them, and not to lose the faith in the face of adversity.

Some big decisions will have to be made in the summer regarding the future of some players, and i have faith Wenger will come out wiser from this season and finally bring some silverware back to the Emirates.

IN ARSENE WE TRUST :grouphug:
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooner_peter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:30 pm

i went up to old trafford yesterday and i still can't believe how crap the utd fans were. we outsung them all game.

we were really unlucky not to get something from the game, but we need a striker who scores everytime he gets a chance.
gooner_peter
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby SE13 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Arsene Wenger, Via E-Mail wrote:Dear Supporter,

I believe we played with quality and spirit at Old Trafford on Sunday and were unlucky to lose the game.

I never felt under pressure from Manchester United and I believe defensively we played quite well. We lost on a penalty - that you can give or not give but we are used to that now - and on a free-kick when Gilberto did not touch their player. I believe these two decisions made a big difference. We have to take it but overall I am proud of my team.

There was very little between success and failure this season. We have to accept that we will not win the title and that is hard to swallow. But we do not feel that there is a difference technically and collectively between us and Chelsea and Manchester United.

We have to continue to produce the football we produce because we will not always be unlucky. We played well at Liverpool and again on Sunday. With all the bad things that have gone against us we needed to be exceptionally strong to produce a performance like we did against United.

I am confident about our future because we have the quality and we are young. I have worked with this team for a long time now and people don't know what that means.

For example Alex Song played on Sunday. It is two years ago since I bought him and he played in a massive game against Manchester United and showed that he has exceptional quality. He was not like that two years ago. We want to be rewarded for the quality we have.

It's true that our confidence has dropped recently. In the last two months we have gone through a difficult period. You cannot fault our spirit because that has been exceptional, but when you get knock after knock it is difficult to take.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08