Arsenal Vs Liverpool | Premiership 05/04/08

Re: Arsenal Vs Liverpool | Premiership 05/04/08

Postby FromSydney » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:10 pm

murphy1118 wrote:Draw.Draw.Draw.

We aint winnin shit this year.

f**k off!

I feel like sarcastically saying "That's the spirit" yet I can't blame you. Looking at it, that's probably more sensible than saying "Hey, we're going to win our five remaining games and Man United's going to drop points on two other occasionals outside of the game against us and Chelsea will draw at least once. We're definitely going to win the league!" Probably more sensible than that. I'm not giving up though yes, absolutely, you have to be realistic and reality says, "You've got very little chance".
FromSydney
Liam Brady

Postby arseman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:11 pm

How the hell do we let this shower of shite take the lead against us at home, and hold out for a draw? :rolleyes:

I'm glad for Nick though, he really should have done better with that chance in the first half, but made up with a fine header and really looked up for it in the second half.

And for all our pretty intricate approach play, a lot of our goals of late seem to be coming from freekicks and corners.....and we do look so much more dangerous from them.

And why do teams defend for their lives against us and then defend like pub teams against Manure?
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:13 pm

niko197 wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:I foresee a lot more "Bendtner is shit" talk about the 19 YEAR OLD in the next 90 minutes :rolleyes: :sundae:

he is 20 (january, 1988), he`s old bastard!

That makes all the difference :rolleyes: :lol:

My match report to follow... :sundae:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby arseman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:20 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Ha ha Ade categorically refuses to use his left foot!!

That back-flicked cross was quite cheeky though, if only someone had scored from it....
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:22 pm

arseman wrote:How the hell do we let this shower of shite take the lead against us at home, and hold out for a draw? :rolleyes:

I'm glad for Nick though, he really should have done better with that chance in the first half, but made up with a fine header and really looked up for it in the second half.

And for all our pretty intricate approach play, a lot of our goals of late seem to be coming from freekicks and corners.....and we do look so much more dangerous from them.

And why do teams defend for their lives against us and then defend like pub teams against Manure?

Yeah we've scored from corners for about 3 games in a row now I think..?
Something we haven't managed to do for years. Now that we can do it it's too little too late. :rolleyes:

Yeah Bendtner was much better second half. I get the feeling that he's a bit like Ade in that they're both confidence players and when something terrible happens like the cock-up in the game on Wednesday their confidence takes a dip and they need a goal to pick themselves up again.
Let's hope his form picks up a bit now.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby singaporegooner » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:23 pm

When i saw the lineup, i practically fell off my chair...
In a make-or-break game, Hoyte and Traore comes on...
Wenger probably did this one eye on the 2nd leg of the Champs league...but leaving Hleb out and shifting Flamini out to the side is bad for the team balance. Gilberto doesn't team up with Cesc as well as Flamini so tactically...i think we gave Pool the advantage...
Much of the first half saw Theo drifting out wide and not much service frankly, except for the 10 mins before Pool scored...
this sucks big time... :crybaby:
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby MissArsenal » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Will Arsène say again "I still believe in the title" ?
Eboué has to play RB, Traoré and Hoyte :shifty: We can't win a game with them, I thought Arsène want to win Pool today...
We couldn't get our passing together like we did it on wednesday. I just thank a lot Voronin for what he missed...
Wenger will sort everything out in the summer, i just hope he signs some big names, and fix out depth problem.
I think we now have to focus especially and definitely on Champion's league. Hope Arsène saw he can't keep on like that.
MissArsenal
Liam Brady

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:40 pm

OK, now I've calmed down a bit, here are my thoughts.

Firstly, what is the point of playing excellent football in the second half, when we're going to play like the Bournemouth Ladies Over 80's Blind Deaf Amputee Team in the first half??

No if's or but's, we were appalling in the first half. This is why I think Adebeyor makes us tick. More on that later.

Their goal, and indeed most of their attacks came via route 1, or down the right (their left) flank. Eboue was all over the place, and I wont add fuel to what is already a forest fire with his name on it, but he was poor again today. Traore on the other hand (or other flank should I say) was exceptional, both going forward and defending. I think he really showed what he can do today, and was one of the few standout performers we had.

Saying that is actually a little harsh, since no single player actually had a stinker as such, but as a team, we looked utterly dire in the first half,one of the worst showings in fact, that I've seen from us all season.

The second half started, and someone had switched the light on it seemed. I'm not going to go too overboard with the praise, because we still made hard work of the game, and only managed a draw against a frankly average Liverpool.

Although Adebeyor came on and (in my opinion) changed the game (today was an "I'm going to control everything magnificently" day for Ade, I wish there were more of them!), I would give my Man Of The Match award to Theo, by a country mile. He was absolutely exceptional, and almost everything we created went through him. Mirror that with Cesc's game, which almost prompts me to use the term "headless chicken", since he looked like he was making most of his passes with his eyes shut!

The defending, on the whole was OK, apart from an absolutely ludicrous mixup between Gallas, Toure and Almunia, which would have been howler of the season had the ball found its way into the net.

Great to see Bendtner silencing his critics, and to be fair, it was hardly a sitter he missed earlier. I am still having trouble trying to fathom how Hleb managed to completely miscontrol what would have been the pass for the winning goal on any other day.

In short, today's game both backs up, and also refutes my long standing opinion that we are some way off being a "great team" yet. It backs it up because we are up and down more than Ronaldo in a penalty box, and without consistency, and more importantly end product, the team will never realise its potential, and will continue to be troubled by average, and even below average teams. On the flip side, our performance in the second half shows what we can do, and what I had nearly forgotten, so long has it been since we last played with such fluency.

So there you have it. We're not a great team yet, but if we can replace the horrific display of the first half with the sort of football we played in the second half (and add some all important END PRODUCT), we'll be serious contenders.

Incidentally, can someone remind me who the ref was today, because that was without a doubt one of the most blatant and disgraceful displays of one-sided, bent reffing I have seen in my entire life!

:sundae:
Last edited by Good_Eye_Sniper on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby singaporegooner » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:44 pm

I think the ref was Phil Dowd
In Arsene We Trust!!
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:48 pm

singaporegooner wrote:I think the ref was Phil Dowd

I want to hurt him :shifty:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby singaporegooner » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:

Do IT...
i rather u did it to the ref for the 1st leg of the Champs league though...
In Arsene We Trust!!
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:52 pm

singaporegooner wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:

Do IT...

I'm not 99% sure that guy took a bung like I am about the scumbag reffing today :snooty:

We'll see what happens next week though :sundae: :P
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:01 pm

I didn't think the ref had that bad a game.... Although the decisions did seem to slightly more favour Liverpool. There was that incident early on where play went on for possibly two minutes, and he waited for a break in the play before going back to book whatshisface.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby singaporegooner » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Frankly i didn't notice him much...so which means the ref didn't get involved in any controversial issues, except i think he missed the tackle by Plessiss on Theo...studs up...so its probably fair for a yellow...but anyways...
i'm still upset we missed the chance to close down on manure and inflict a psychological blow on Pool ahead of Tuesday's match...
In Arsene We Trust!!
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:
singaporegooner wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:

Do IT...

I'm not 99% sure that guy took a bung like I am about the scumbag reffing today :snooty:

We'll see what happens next week though :sundae: :P

The arm that tugged Cesc down in the box, to which the ref told him to "get up!"

Traore getting booked for a challenge that saw him not only get the ball, but safely clear it

The body check that knocked Theo on his arse off the ball that the ref chose to ignore

Eboue getting a yellow card for his first foul, which at worst was a free kick offence, and at best was a 50/50 header

That's just a few examples mate. I was watching with a mate who is a Liverpool fan, and even he said the ref was helping them a lot
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08