AC Milan Vs Arsenal | Champions League (2)

Re: AC Milan Vs Arsenal | Champions League (2)

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:24 am

Am I serious? For the most part, going forward he was muck. I counted numerous times balls were played to him a little short or long, and he never made the effort to reach them. If it wasn't within range it seemed like he wasn't bothered. Plus, there was at least 2 good attacks we went on and Diaby was hanging back in CM instead of charging up the wing, WHERE A WINGER IS SUPPOSED TO BE, on one occasion Cesc had to try and hold the ball up against half the Milan defense because, when he looked around Diaby was nowhere to be seen.
Oh, and not to mention the amount of times he went on runs and ran straight into a wall of Milan defenders, something he does ALL the time.

I don't totally blame him, he's a CM being asked to play on the wing, but he has a central players mentality, he's just not clued in enough to be an attacking player. Just because he scored some cracking goals doesn't mean he's Marc Overmars.

As I said, you don't play someone on the wing for their defensive play.
Last edited by Fabrestuta on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Gunflash » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:27 am

A dream result and yet another proud night in Arsenal's European history. Well all remember fondly the 5-1 thrashing of Inter Milan, also in the San Siro but older fans will probably recall the 1-0 victory over Juventus at the Stadio Del Alpi in 1980 when Paul Vaessen scored right at the death. That result shattered Juve's invincibility in home European games and our 2-0 victory over AC Milan, has done for the Rossoneri. Arsenal nailed down the coffin of Real Madrid's "Galacticos" project in 2006 and they have probably seen off the older elements of this current Milan squad.

This was a huge match for Arsenal. Not just because of the quality of our opponents but because of our recent form. Being thrashed 4-0 at Man Utd didn't do anyone any good and our league lead has shrivelled up courtesy of the draws with the two Midlands club, so Arsenal needed a result to steady the ship. No-one gave us a chance but I said that 0-0 in the first leg wasn't a bad result because it meant that we could go to Milan and treat the game like a cup final. If we had gone there defending a lead, it could have inhibited our performance.

I was a bit worried when Milan forced a few scrambles in our penalty area but once by half-time I was thinking "Arsenal can win this". We created chances and never once looked out of place in the company of all those star names like Kaka, Pirlo and Gattuso. Fabregas bossed the game with real authority. It was the sort of night that required leadership and he was magnificent the whole way through. Arsenal's next captain, surely. The goal was no less than he deserved. The whole midfield was brilliant. I was really impressed by Hleb. Flamini mucked in as usual. Adebayor was a constant pest and it's great that he's back on the scoresheet. Walcott came on and the way he sprinted down the line to set up Adebayor was almost a carbon copy of Aliadiere's run and cross for Pires when we won against Inter. Milan were not a serious threat.

Character was the key. Over the past few weeks, the hacks have been laying into us, calling us stroppy and petulant. Comparing us unfavourably with Man Utd. But tonight, Arsenal stood tall, every single player and let's not forget how Man Utd bottled their away leg with AC Milan last season. I think this could be the result that gives us momentum to take us to the end of the league campaign. This is the night when this current group of Arsenal players came of age as a team.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:30 am

He is recovering from injury so I can't be too harsh.
Having said that, something he always does which really annoys me is;
receive the ball on the wing,
stand still with it,
(this draws 2 opposition players tight up to him creating space in another part of the pitch),
then he decides he wants to try and dribble round both of them when there is an Arsenal player standing right next to him waiting for the ball.
He then gets tackled.
That Arsenal player could've run into the space that he's done well to create for them. It's such a waste. :5:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:33 am

I did notice a few niggly things with Diaby but brushed them aside, because he has only just returned from injury, in fairness he played really well in comparison to the last few performances.
He does seem to drift onto the centre alot when he has posession, which i suppose it natural to him considering he is really a CM rather than a winger, but one thing i also noticed was his link up play with Clichy was pretty good.
The lad can only get better & i definatley think he's got plenty of potential.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:38 am

excellent post GunFlash :cool:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:42 am

Fabrestuta wrote:Am I serious? For the most part, going forward he was muck. I counted numerous times balls were played to him a little short or long, and he never made the effort to reach them. If it wasn't within range it seemed like he wasn't bothered. Plus, there was at least 2 good attacks we went on and Diaby was hanging back in CM instead of charging up the wing, WHERE A WINGER IS SUPPOSED TO BE, on one occasion Cesc had to try and hold the ball up against half the Milan defense because, when he looked around Diaby was nowhere to be seen.
Oh, and not to mention the amount of times he went on runs and ran straight into a wall of Milan defenders, something he does ALL the time.

I don't totally blame him, he's a CM being asked to play on the wing, but he has a central players mentality, he's just not clued in enough to be an attacking player. Just because he scored some cracking goals doesn't mean he's Marc Overmars.

ur talking shit, diaby did a great job in stopping oddo break forward(one of there main threats), plus he also tucked into the midfield as well to make it compact when needed

your talking about where he should of been on the wing going forward?? was he there for that purpose?? NO

milan away from home? how do u play that? keep it tight, no mistakes and the chances will come

he put a good shift in, and the fact you are wanting to dispute this at this time makes me wonder what the f**k your on about fabrestuta

everyone i was at the pub with tonight mentioned diaby and the role he played
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:43 am

The long and short is, Diaby is never going to be a winger, he just doesn't have the mentality that will send him bombing up and down the wings for 90 minutes.

Someone who did bomb up and down the wings was Clichy, he got badly owned twice in the first 15 minutes (positional wise,) first by Inzaghi, who could have scored, and then by Pato, who should have scored, but after that he was amazing. He needs to give Rosicky some of his stamina, because he never stops running.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:44 am

what a team performance, cant fault anybody :1: :1: :1: :1:
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:48 am

Fabrestuta wrote:The long and short is, Diaby is never going to be a winger, he just doesn't have the mentality that will send him bombing up and down the wings for 90 minutes.

I think this is the key point here.
We can debate all night about the merits of his performance this evening but at the end of the day he never looks like becoming a good left winger so in the long term I fear he will either leave because he never gets to play where he wants to, or he'll be sold because he can't master that left wing position.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 am

absolutely_fabregas wrote:what a team performance, cant fault anybody :1: :1: :1: :1:

yep, i also think Theo deserves a mention, he did well in the short time he was on, he didnt half fly when he got the ball, recovered really well when he slipped & lost his footing, kept possession & a cracking assist to his name to finish it off. :1:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:54 am

absolutely_fabregas wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:Am I serious? For the most part, going forward he was muck. I counted numerous times balls were played to him a little short or long, and he never made the effort to reach them. If it wasn't within range it seemed like he wasn't bothered. Plus, there was at least 2 good attacks we went on and Diaby was hanging back in CM instead of charging up the wing, WHERE A WINGER IS SUPPOSED TO BE, on one occasion Cesc had to try and hold the ball up against half the Milan defense because, when he looked around Diaby was nowhere to be seen.

ur talking shit, diaby did a great job in stopping oddo break forward(one of there main threats), plus he also tucked into the midfield as well to make it compact when needed

your talking about where he should of been on the wing going forward?? was he there for that purpose?? NO

milan away from home? how do u play that? keep it tight, no mistakes and the chances will come

he put a good shift in, and the fact you are wanting to dispute this at this time makes me wonder what the f**k your on about fabrestuta

everyone i was at the pub with tonight mentioned diaby and the role he played

Quite a mouth you have on you, you love telling people they're talking shit. I wonder how many times you start a response with that.

Why do you always defend him him when yo obviously have no clue what you're talking about? Why have a winger who just wants to drop into central midfield all the time? Why have a player like Clichy charging forward if Diaby isn't going to go with him and make use of the overlap? if Clichy goes and Diaby drops into midfield it leaves you wide open down the wing. He gave the ball away numerous times but apparently only the people in your pub missed that.

Oh and I'm f***ing tired of every time I post something you have a go, I know its because of the Irish thing, but if you have a problem with me come out and say it, don't make snarky comments all the time like a little bitch. before you start screaming "paranoid t**t" I dare anyone to go back and read my posts with quotes from you professing how thick, wrong, stupid, I am.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:56 am

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:
absolutely_fabregas wrote:what a team performance, cant fault anybody :1: :1: :1: :1:

yep, i also think Theo deserves a mention, he did well in the short time he was on, he didnt half fly when he got the ball, recovered really well when he slipped & lost his footing, kept possession & a cracking assist to his name to finish it off. :1:

Theo was outstanding and showed no fear.
Loved that bit at the end when he peeled away from the defenders with an intelligent run. Hleb spotted it and put the perfect overhead pass through.
Just a shame the keeper came out well.

He's really looking confident now, he's starting to remind me of an 18 year-old Michael Owen, although I think he has the potential to be even better.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:57 am

Ok lads CALM it down please...be nice. ;)

We dont always agree, but dont resort to abusive language towards eachother.

THANKYOU.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:14 am

Fabrestuta wrote:Quite a mouth you have on you, you love telling people they're talking shit. I wonder how many times you start a response with that.

Why do you always defend him him when yo obviously have no clue what you're talking about? Why have a winger who just wants to drop into central midfield all the time? Why have a player like Clichy charging forward if Diaby isn't going to go with him and make use of the overlap? if Clichy goes and Diaby drops into midfield it leaves you wide open down the wing. He gave the ball away numerous times but apparently only the people in your pub missed that.

Oh and I'm f***ing tired of every time I post something you have a go, I know its because of the Irish thing, but if you have a problem with me come out and say it, don't make snarky comments all the time like a little bitch. before you start screaming "paranoid t**t" I dare anyone to go back and read my posts with quotes from you professing how thick, wrong, stupid, I am.

sorry if you take "shit" so personally lets say nonsense then?

you go back and read your comments then read what i said feel, free to quote if you think i have been anti-fabrestuta :roll:

i couldnt give a shit if your irish or not, you are negative all the time

we have just beat milan away in the champs league, and you what to criticize our players?

jesus, i cant be f***ked talkin pish to you, was diaby brought in to play as a winger bombing down the wing overlapping etc?? no... i will let you figure out what role he played for yourself
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Windass10 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:18 am

good win!!
Windass10
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08