Arsenal Vs Aston Villa | Premiership 01/03/08

Postby SE13 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Barclays Premiership

ARSENAL Vs Aston Villa

ImageImage

Saturday 1st March 2008

3pm

Ashburton Grove

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Arsenal Vs Aston Villa | Premiership 01/03/08

Postby Cheese » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:57 am

Roll on the Aston Villa game..

I hope Theo Walcott starts upfront, Ade and Bendtner won't do anything together up front.

I suspect it will be a 4-4-1-1 with Hleb behind Ade but then who's going to play on the left or right wing?
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby arseman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:20 am

A must win game, considering United are playing Fulham. Any chance of seeing rosicky back for this one? I still think we'd be better off using Walcott's pace on the wing.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby singaporegooner » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:30 am

arseman wrote:A must win game, considering United are playing Fulham. Any chance of seeing rosicky back for this one? I still think we'd be better off using Walcott's pace on the wing.

Wenger's been non-committal about when Rosicky or any of the injured players are returning, so i suspect if we don't see Rosicky for this game, he'll probably be available for Milan.

Theo seems to have woken up after his first goal at St. Andrew's and i suspect Wenger will reckon to give him a shot at Milan, but might have to settle for a bench spot.

I'll love to see Arsenal stuff Villa and get ready for the Milan match with a huge huge morale booster.
:D :D
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cheese » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Walcott - Why Agbonlahor will be a major threat for Villa

They're young, fast and quite possibly the future of English football. Theo Walcott and Gabriel Agbonlahor have plenty in common but on Saturday they will put their friendship to one side when Arsenal meet Aston Villa at Emirates Stadium.

The duo are regulars in the England Under-21 set-up and both have sampled life in the senior squad. Walcott was famously called up for the World Cup finals in 2006 while Agbonlahor earned a place in Fabio Capello's squad for this month's friendly against Switzerland before injury ruled him out.

Agbonlahor's call-up was just reward for an outstanding season with Villa and Walcott is well aware of the damage he could inflict on Arsenal's title challenge this weekend.

"All of Villa's young players are absolutely tremendous - you just have to look at how many of them are getting into the England senior and Under-21 squads," Walcott told Arsenal.com.

"But Gabby has been doing fantastically well and it's such a shame he got injured just before going with England. He deserved the call-up, just like Ashley Young, because he's worked so hard. He is consistent too, he does well in every game.

"With Gabby you can over-cook a pass and he'll still get there because his pace is just phenomenal really, it's a joke. I love playing alongside players with pace. He's a clever player and he's got a good finish on him, which helps."

Walcott's searing pace is arguably his most potent weapon and Agbonlahor is no slouch either. So who would win in a race between the two? Walcott would back himself in a sprint against most opponents but admits he might have met his match in the Villa man.

"You know what, I do not have a clue who would win," said Walcott. "I'm doing a Nike event about who is fastest to the ball and I haven't done it yet but Gabby has done it so I need to try and beat his time.

"In the meantime, I'll see him before Saturday's game and we'll have a little chat then. Hopefully we'll get the result so I'll be happy to talk to him again afterwards!"

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:50 am

Walcott - Squad will be there for Eduardo the entire time

While Eduardo is still in their thoughts, Arsenal’s focus is remains very much on the job in hand, according to Theo Walcott.

The youngster revealed that the best way the team can overcome the adversity of last weekend is to take all three points when Aston Villa visit Emirates Stadium this Saturday. Walcott also told of the feeling within the squad in the days that followed the Croatian striker’s horrific injury.

“Of course Eduardo has been on our minds,” Walcott told Arsenal.com. “It was a quiet coach ride home and felt just like a loss in truth.

“We had a couple of days off and then actually went bowling to keep our team-spirit up. A couple of lads went to see him yesterday and reported back to the rest of us.

“But we have tried to forget about it in a way and concentrate on Saturday.

“We don’t all want to rush there and then gradually stop. It will be more difficult for him in later months so we want to be there for him the whole time he is out.”

Eduardo’s absence, coupled with Robin van Persie’s lack of fitness leaves the door wide open for someone to seize a role up front. After grabbing his first Premier League goals at Birmingham, Walcott believes he is the man to do it.

“I feel upbeat, I feel confident,” he continued. “The goals helped and they gave me a boost so hopefully I can take that into Saturday.

“It was nice to get a poacher's goal. My agents have told me I need more of those. Then the second was more about the kind of player I am. Left-foot too, which is something people have questioned me about.

“Now I just have to improve with every game and time will tell [if I can fill the striker’s role]. After all, the boss picks the team so when I do play I will just do my best.”

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Wenger - Diaby back but I won't be rushing Van Persie

Despite the loss of Eduardo, Arsène Wenger intends to remain patient over the return of Robin van Persie.

The Croatian is out for the season after breaking his leg at Birmingham on Saturday. The Dutchman would be the perfect replacement but he has only figured in three games since last October and is currently sidelined with a thigh injury. Therefore, the Arsenal manager was being understandably cautious when he spoke to Arsenal TV Online on Thursday.

"We will not rush Robin van Persie back but the news is quite good," said Wenger. "It is very difficult to say [when he will be back in the side]. We go step by step. But he should come back into normal training, very, very quickly now.

"Maybe I am being a little over-cautious in my statements but I do not want to put any special pressure on him.

"But the fact that Eduardo is out is one more reason to [get him back]. Also he deserves that championship as well and that is another reason - to do it for him."

For the game at St Andrews, Arsenal's absentees list read: Alex Song (knee), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring), Abou Diaby (calf), Kolo Toure (knee) Johan Djourou (groin), Van Persie (thigh) and Emmanuel Eboue (suspended).

"It looks like you can take Diaby out of that list," replied Wenger when the roll-call was read out. "All of the other players are not back."

However both Ivorians may be back for Tuesday's trip to Milan.

"Eboue will be back from suspension then," said the Frenchman. "We don't know about Kolo. It looks a little bit early but you never know."

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:13 pm

*TO ALL ARSENAL FANS GOING TO ASTON VILLA*

At the start of the Aston Villa game i think it would be approprite to show our appreciation to Gary Lewin for acting quickly during last satuday's events.

Gary Lewin's fast thinking could well save Eduardo's career.

To do this everyone at Emirates Stadium at kick-off should sing

"One Gary Lewin,
There's only one Gary Lewin,
One Gary Lewin,
There's only one Gary Lewin."

Spread the word and show our appreciation.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:30 am

nice gesture

i know he was only doing his job, but its still a nice touch :1:
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Trina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:07 am

That is a very nice gesture and i'm sure he will be thrilled to hear it :)
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Cheese » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:14 am

I have posted it around other sites and also e-mailed REDAction so hopefully they will spread the word.

Also there has been a few shouts to sing "League for Eduardo, will win the league for Eduardo, league for Eduardo, will win the league for Eduardo."

I'm sure there will be something at kick-off.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby arseman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Lots of people have mentoned that we might struggle given Villa's impressive away form in the league, but looking through it, their away form reads 5 wins, 6 draws and 2 losses, which is not bad, but nothing too formidable for us to worry about. Those five away wins were Birmingham, Blackburn, Middlesborough, Wigan and Reading. They've also drawn their games away to Chelsea and Liverpool, though you can't be sure how much to read into those results, especially the latter.

Villa's results since the start of 2008.

Villa 2-1 Sp*rs
Villa 0-2 Man Utd (FA Cup)
Villa 3-1 Reading
Liverpool 2-2 Villa
Villa 1-1 Blackburn
Fulham 2-1 Villa
Villa 4-1 Newcastle (even my park team could probably beat the toon right now)
Reading 1-2 Villa

It'll be a close game but we should be able to win.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby singaporegooner » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:21 am

arseman wrote:Lots of people have mentoned that we might struggle given Villa's impressive away form in the league, but looking through it, their away form reads 5 wins, 6 draws and 2 losses, which is not bad, but nothing too formidable for us to worry about. Those five away wins were Birmingham, Blackburn, Middlesborough, Wigan and Reading. They've also drawn their games away to Chelsea and Liverpool, though you can't be sure how much to read into those results, especially the latter.

Villa's results since the start of 2008.

Villa 2-1 Sp*rs
Villa 0-2 Man Utd (FA Cup)
Villa 3-1 Reading
Liverpool 2-2 Villa
Villa 1-1 Blackburn
Fulham 2-1 Villa
Villa 4-1 Newcastle (even my park team could probably beat the toon right now)
Reading 1-2 Villa

It'll be a close game but we should be able to win.

I'm feeling postive vibes about the match...hope it come true like AM says...
1 thing for sure...the crowds gonna give a big shoutout to Dudu before the kickoff!
COME ON GUNNERS! :1:
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cheese » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:44 am

I think the team line up will be...

Although i would rather see Walcott upfront.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Arsenal Vs Aston Villa | Premiership 01/03/08

Postby SE13 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Not sure about streams yet, but Radio FiveLive are running match commentry. Sadly only available to UK listeners.

Waiting to hear about the early team news now.....

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Next

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08