Birmingham Vs Arsenal | Premiership 23/02/08

Re: Birmingham Vs Arsenal | Premiership 23/02/08

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:27 pm

CLS wrote:
but the fact is now its back in utd hands

I wouldn't go that far, we have a 3 point lead so it is in our hands.

What the f**ck was Clichy doing? He has been immense all season and everyone makes mistakes so i am not going to attack him at all, all is forgiven as he will being feeling like crap right now but i just want to know WHAT he was doing? What happened? Did he think the whistle had gone or did he not think a Brum player was around? I am just confused, what a weird way to give away a penalty.

Our strikers are to blame for this if anyone, Ade should have squared the ball for the open goal for sure and the amount of chances we had should have been enough to finish the game.

HOWEVER i have been thinking all week that this is a hard game and that a draw is not a disaster so this result has not upset me as much as others have although the manner of the equiliser certainly stunned me.

I am gutted about Eduardo though, the result didn't really matter after that moment. I was virtually crying in the Sun Tavern in Covent Garden (great pub, thought i would mention it) i was so distressed. He is still young and he may never play again, i pray we will see him back in an arsenal shirt again and if we will he lucky enough that the injury will not hinder his further progression as a player.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CLS » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:03 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
CLS wrote:
but the fact is now its back in utd hands

I wouldn't go that far, we have a 3 point lead so it is in our hands.

What the f**ck was Clichy doing? He has been immense all season and everyone makes mistakes so i am not going to attack him at all, all is forgiven as he will being feeling like crap right now but i just want to know WHAT he was doing? What happened? Did he think the whistle had gone or did he not think a Brum player was around? I am just confused, what a weird way to give away a penalty.

Our strikers are to blame for this if anyone, Ade should have squared the ball for the open goal for sure and the amount of chances we had should have been enough to finish the game.

HOWEVER i have been thinking all week that this is a hard game and that a draw is not a disaster so this result has not upset me as much as others have although the manner of the equiliser certainly stunned me.

I am gutted about Eduardo though, the result didn't really matter after that moment. I was virtually crying in the Sun Tavern in Covent Garden (great pub, thought i would mention it) i was so distressed. He is still young and he may never play again, i pray we will see him back in an arsenal shirt again and if we will he lucky enough that the injury will not hinder his further progression as a player.

i know what you mean but they beat us and they win we beat hem we win AAArrrhhh i cant bare it
both our hands are full
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fabrestuta » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:11 pm

Sadly I have to agree with CLS and say it is in United hands now. I know we are still 3 points clear, but we aren't exactly playing great and who knows how how the Eduardo incident will affect us. Not to mention United are on fire.

I'm not giving up yet SGW, so no slapping me around. :9:
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:41 pm

its as much in chelseas hands as it is manus

(provided they win their game in hand)

if they beat us and manu at home

if manu beat us at home

we will all be level on points!
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby CLS » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:57 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:
we will all be level on points!

BUT THEY WIN ON GOAL DIFF
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:12 pm

arseman wrote:This from the AC Milan website http://www.acmilan.com/index.aspx

MILAN - Eduardo Da Silva has broken his left leg in the match against Birmingham today, as reported by the BBC. The Rossoneri's family wishes the Arsenal striker all the best and a quick return to playing.

And they talk about foreigners ruining the English game. Well played Milan, I've always respected and admired them, and more so after this.

That is a very nice gesture by Milan. Kudos to them, despite the fact we have to face them in the 2nd leg without Eduardo.

Ok, we drew, none of us are happy about the late penalty or the freekick that shouldnt have been a free kick or as far as the foul Ade made on the keeper, we've slipped up but we are still top & 3pts clear of utd, the season is far from over.
My heart goes out to 2 people tonight, 1stly & most importantly Eduardo, lets hope this horrific injury dont end his career, ive not seen many injuries much worse....and Gael Clichy, he rarely puts a foot wrong, & im sure he is not happy at all. I hope this dont dent his confidence too much.

One good thing i did notice was after one of Ade's 'misses' Bendnter helped him up, i hope that mean their 'fued' is over, because with both Van Persie & now Eduardo unavailable these pair need to work damn hard together.

Ive avoided any football apart from results for the rest of the afternoon, wtf was going on with Gallas, was he pissed off at Gael or the ref???
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby SE13 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:25 am

Arsène Wenger admits he made some "excessive" comments about Martin Taylor following Saturday's game at St Andrews.

Passions were running high during the Arsenal manager's post-match press conference after a game in which Eduardo sustained a broken leg from the Birmingham defender's challenge and the visitors let two points slip in the final seconds due to a debatable penalty.

Wenger was strident in his view on Taylor's tackle but later he re-assessed his own viewpoint.

“It was a highly emotional afternoon and we were all shocked by the injury to Eduardo," he said. "On reflection, I feel that my comments about Martin Taylor were excessive. I said what I did immediately after the game, in the heat of the moment.”

© Arsenal.com

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fallen_Angel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:09 am

Eduardo!

Eduardo - I am determined to overcome this injury

By Richard Clarke

Eduardo has given his account of the terrible events at Birmingham City on Saturday.

The Croatian, 25 on Monday, broke his leg following a challenge from Blues defender Martin Taylor in the third minute of the game at St Andrews. He was taken to hospital and underwent surgery that night. The striker has since returned to a London-based hospital for further treatment.

Speaking for the first time after the incident, the summer signing from Dinamo Zagreb ruled himself out of the rest of the season and Euro 2008 in the summer however he added that he is 'determined to overcome this injury'.

“I don't remember the incident very well and it is not something that I want to see again on television or in the newspapers," said Eduardo.

"All I remember is that when I fell, I looked down at my foot and it had turned the other way. The rest is just a blank. It was an unfortunate situation but these things can happen in football.

“I am unsure at the moment of the extent of the injury and how long I will be out of action for but I know that I won't be able to play for Arsenal for the rest of the season or be ready in time for the Euros this summer.

"But I'm not worried about that. My concentration and determination is on making as quick a recovery as possible. I am determined to overcome this injury.

“I would like to thank the medical team here at Arsenal for their efforts as well as the staff at Selly Oak Hospital who carried out the operation on Saturday night. Everyone there made me feel as comfortable as possible.

"I would also like to say how touched I am by the many messages of support I have received and to be surrounded by my loved ones at this time.”
Fallen_Angel
Michael Thomas

Postby arseman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:38 am

You rock Dudu, come back and score a hat-trick for us in the 2009 CL Final!! :flag: :flag:
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby singaporegooner » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 am

A little off-topic, but is there a guestbook or something everyone can sign and be sent to Arsenal.com to be passed on to Dudu?
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby arseman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:32 am

singaporegooner wrote:A little off-topic, but is there a guestbook or something everyone can sign and be sent to Arsenal.com to be passed on to Dudu?

Try this
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4310
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby singaporegooner » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:34 am

arseman wrote:
singaporegooner wrote:A little off-topic, but is there a guestbook or something everyone can sign and be sent to Arsenal.com to be passed on to Dudu?

Try this
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4310

Cool :1:
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Supporter,

Like everyone else at Arsenal I hope Eduardo makes a full recovery from the terrible injury he suffered at Birmingham on Saturday.

His injury was the result of a very bad tackle and the first diagnosis we had after the game was very, very bad. I would not like to go into medical details because I am not qualified enough but the first news was very bad and obviously he was quickly taken to hospital.

Will the injury end Eduardo's career? I don't know. I would not go as far as saying that but it does not look good.

It was a highly emotional afternoon and we were all shocked by the injury to Eduardo. On reflection though, I feel that my comments about Martin Taylor were excessive. I said what I did immediately after the game, in the heat of the moment.

As for the game itself, Eduardo's injury affected our football 100 per cent. You could see that straight away - it had a big effect. At half time we talked about playing the game we wanted to play and I felt we did that quite well.

It was very disappointing that we didn't kill off the game. I don't believe the free-kick for Birmingham's first goal should have been given and I thought Gael Clichy's tackle was fair and did not warrant a penalty.

Five minutes before that stoppage-time equaliser there was a 100 per cent penalty after Adebayor was fouled. But we have to take it, we cannot change it and we have to look at ourselves as well. We have to fight against all that.

Frankly we should have killed the game off earlier and scored the third because you can get caught out by any little mistake.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08