Arsenal Vs Newcastle | Premiership 29/01/08

Re: Arsenal Vs Newcastle | Premiership 29/01/08

Postby Swifty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 pm

I just got in from work, was checking the score on my phone, any one got n e links to the goals? The descriptions sounded amazing & it's killing me not being able to see them tonight.
Swifty
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Git » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Swifty wrote:I just got in from work, was checking the score on my phone, any one got n e links to the goals? The descriptions sounded amazing & it's killing me not being able to see them tonight.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/

All there.

Flam's goal is orgasm worthy.

No shitting you.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Awesome goal from Flamini, where the hell did that come from? :0

Also, how well did Bendtner control that high ball before tapping it on for Cesc to smash in? :1:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rachel83 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:21 pm

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Also, how well did Bendtner control that high ball before tapping it on for Cesc to smash in? :1:

bendtner did pretty well today. he was quiet but he did a good job, i think.
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby murphy1118 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Flamini's Goal, for me, is the goal of the year so far!

That was just stunningly beautiful.
murphy1118
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Swifty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 pm

Flam's goal...one word...Audacious. :3:
Bendtner showed some real class with that assist, great touch & clever football. :1:
Swifty
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Cheese » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 am

What a night?

What a game?

What a f***ing shit team Newcastle really are? :lol:

I really enjoyed tonight's game, i thought the lads did very well. We won the game without really hitting top gear, yes Newcastle are poor but we controlled he game very well.
How great was Flamini's goal?
It was f***ing amazing, Cesc even got a goal having not played that well.
Adebayor, well what can i say? Apart from give him the ball and he will score. (after missing a few ;) :lol: ).
I haven't really got much else to say tonight, maybe when i wake up i will have more to say. :lol:

Great game, 3 points, TOP OF THE F***ING LEAGUE... GET IN THERE!!!
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Gunflash » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:37 am

Adebayor's magnificent form continues. I still think he misses too many easy chances but he seems to have read this forum and responded to my criticism! :D It was important to win and keep a clean sheet to boost our goal difference. Flamini has been the star man this season because he's mucked in and done the dirty work and maybe he'll get a bit more recognition now that he came up with a spectacular goal. It was good to see Fabregas back on the scoresheet. He needs to get his goalscoring form back because we've got a massive few months ahead of us. Anyway we're back on top of the League so Man Utd have to do a bit of running now. But look at it this way, if we win our last 14 matches we've won the title. Pretty straightforward, don't you think? :D
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:08 am

WENT TO TAKE A PISS WHEN FLAMINI SCORED :( :( :( :( :(

said before he was playin awesone, saw the full match on a random channel at the pub

fabregas really quiet!!

hleb decent, diaby put a shift in

back 4 solid

ade was ade( :P )
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby rodney » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:53 am

Who said one man can't make a difference? Tonight one man made a difference, one man rose above the rest and that man was Mattie Flamini. On a night when Newcastle came and pretty much played for a point, yes unbelievably King Kev didn't throw caution to the wind. A night when Cesc and Hleb were not at their mercurial best, Flamini simply produced a performance on another level. Despite being the holding man he was absolutely everywhere, winning his tackles, bursting forward and taking the ball and he scored one of the best goals I have ever seen to cap off what was an absolute superb 10/10performance.

I was suprised at the tactics employed by Newcastle. I have only seen the highlights from Saturdays match, but from what I saw Newcastle gave it a right go and were just unfortunate that they didn't score whilst they were playing well. Tonight they had no drive, passion, determination to go out and get a result. One thing that worried me from an England perspective was the performance of Micheal Owen. He was caught offside so many times tonight it was ridiculous. I am yet to see whether they were correct decisions or not and his temper got the better of him as well on occassions with the linesman. What worried me however, was the ease that Gallas and Senderos dealt with him. I know Owen has always been a player who springs into life with a crucial goal out of nowhere, but he just really offered nothing up front and has yet to score since his return from injury. He has played seven games in a row as well now since his return his longest run in the first team since he has been at Newcastle. Something to worry about anyway and it would not suprise me if he wasn't in the England first team let alone squad.

Onto the match anyway. The first half wasn't a great spectacle with Newcastle happy to just stick nine men behind the ball and loft it forward to Smith and Owen when given the chance. Our first chance of the half fell to Abou Diaby. Good work from Hleb on the wing and a cross that found Diaby who headed well wide when he really should have done a lot better. Sagna created a good chance with a good cross after a good through ball from Ade and only a superb clearence from Steven Carr stopped Eduardo putting the ball in the back of the net.

Flamini on one of his many storming runs forward in the first half found space and produced a great ball accross, only for Ade to fire over the bar. Was worried at that point as I thought it looked like it could be a game of very few clear cut chances. It wasn't an easy chance by any means but the form Ade has been in recently I expected the ball to be hitting the back of the net. Turns out only a few minutes later it would be. Some great passing from Cesc and Hleb sent Flamini rampaging down the wing. He avoided the challenge attempting to take him out ran on and produced another great cross in and this time Ade headed past the helpless Given. A great goal and another for Ade who has now scored in seven games running. He really has been on fire lately and is scoring all types of goals. We could have had another before the end of the first half as Hleb attempted to round Given from a tight angle, but Cacapa got back in time to clear the ball for a corner. A 1-0 lead going into half time and well deserved.

I expected Newcastle to come out and really have a go at us in the second half. Smith had a weak attempt early on, but after than we controlled the second half. Diaby who at times was superb as he moved into a more central position and simply out muscled the Newcastle midfield, created a good opening and with axe like swing at goal he sent the ball wide. He certainly has a shot on him and hopefully we will see more of it in years to come.

Flamini had a couple of efforts at goal after good hold up play from Ade. One shot that nearly went out for a throw in. He has never been known for his goal scoring abilities, but tonight he was playing on a different level and sealed the game with one of the goals of the season. Certainly one of the best I have seen since we have moved to our new home. He unleashed a rocket into the top corner from 30 yards out to end any hope Newcastle had of getting back into the game. It was a truly magnificent goal to sum up by far and away his best perfomace for the club. The improvement since last season has been nothing short of amazing. He has made the position of defensive midfield his own and him and Cesc form a superb centre midfield partnership.

Nicholas Bendtner came on for the ever improving Eduardo, whose goals may have dried up lately, but his overall performances are improving with each performance and a sustained run in the first team has definitely helped him. Bendtner collected a long ball up field superbly with a magestical touch and he found Cesc who clinically fired the ball into the top left hand corner.

Newcastle were given a free kick, despite the fact it was never a free kick and in fact a great tackle by milkman (Manchester United fan) Mike Riley who had an awful night for both teams. Nicky Butt delicately chipped the ball over the Arsenal wall and hit the bar and Gallas cleared from under the bar. It was the first shot on target Newcastle had and said it all about their ambition on the night. Shola Ameobi could have done a lot better with another chance after, but hit a weak effort into the England number 1's arms.

A good performance from the lads and a comfortable night. Special plaudits to the two stand out players Flamini and Gael Clichy who were superb. Clichy's performances are consistently superb. He is so enegetic and for a left back adds so much to our attacking game and yet still maintains the highest quality when defending. Back to the top of the EPL even if it is only for one night it puts a bit of added pressure onto United and hopefully Pompey can do us a favour.
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby arseman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 am

Good report Rodney, Couldn't watch the game because of a lack of streams, but nice to see Cesc get back to scoring, and well done to the Flanimal for another outstanding performance, as one blogger put it after the FA Cup game, it is no longer a case of him being on a rich vein of form, it's just that he's matured into such a fantastic player.

I'm relieved at these two wins, I have to say, given that Newcastle were under a new manager and I expected them to be fired up. Now we have a really tough game against Man City coming up, but with the players we have and their ability, we've a good chance of ending their unbeaten home record, plus they might roll over just to piss off their city rivals :lol:
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby arseman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:57 am

Just watched the highlights, what missile that was from Flamini, I really think he meant it, and his cross for Ade's opener was a peach as well. And how nice was it to see Cesc take an instinctive first time left footed shot, instead of trying to shift it onto the right. Great to see Nick back in the groove as well, he's taken some undeserved stick over the last week or so.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby rvtheace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:54 am

The formula against Arsenal established in recent weeks is to fight fire with fire. Newcastle did that on Saturday putting us under massive pressure for the first half. They still got stuffed 3-0, so they probably figured that they would switch back to the oldskool way of trying to contain us tactically. Was quite a miersarable flop, we bossed the game from start to finish.

Flamini was magnificent, capped a superb performance with a goal from heaven.

And good to see the show of solidarity after Cesc's goal between Ade and Bendtner. Oh, and good to see Cesc produce a wonderful left footed shot. :cool:
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:18 am

(damian duff + michael owen: how much are they getting paid? they arent producing anything near what they should be/capable of)

plus point: senderos had a trouble free game, apart from one dodgy clearance but he made up for it by winning the ball back

hopefully ade keeps this scoring run up :D
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Cheese » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:16 am

Nice report Rodders :cool:

Flamini was great last night, he was here, there and every f***ing where.

Everything about Flamini's performance was great, he's set up Adebayor after a great burst forward followed by a great cross.
He played box-to-box football all everning, one minute he would be attacking the next he would be back defending.
Then there was his goal, i was sitting in block 2 last night which was a perfect angle to watch his shoot, as soon as he hit the ball i knew the keeper had no chance and it was going in.
Just fantastic!

I am really suprised that Newcastle haven't show much in the two games, i know Keegan isn't going to work a miricle but usually when a new manager comes in it gives them a little lift.
Newcastle players didn't so any kind of fight in my opinion, apart from that w***er Smith, who kept elbowing Gallas, in both games. All he wanted was a fight! :mad:

Onwards and upwards Arsenal, keep it up! :D
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08