I just need one more goal so i get maximum points on my prediction league :lol:

come on !!!
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Burnley Vs Arsenal | FA Cup R3 06/01/08

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:46 pm

I barely cheered that, we have been shocking this half.

One to watch today is the Liverpool game, it could be Luton's last FA Cup game and Liverpool did not offer any aid (they were not obliged to but would have been sporting) so they will be trying for their lives to win. Expect a better game than this.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Trina » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:46 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:I just need one more goal so i get maximum points on my prediction league :lol:

come on !!!

haha ditto that. I had Dudu as first goalscorer and 3-0.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Burnley Vs Arsenal | FA Cup R3 06/01/08

Postby SE13 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:52 pm

Credit where it's due, so credit to Burnley for making a real game of it.

Arsenal just running down the clock now...

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Younggooner08 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:13 pm

good game, denilson could have been a lot better :7:
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:33 pm

Agreed, Denilson looked a shadow of the player he flattered to be last season :6:

Eduardo scored another though, continuing his great form, and he's forming quite a partnership with that "shit" player, Bendtner :19: :D who also bagged a decent goal today

Props to Senderos, I thought he was quality today!
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rodney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:45 pm

Eduardo was the difference between the two teams today. Burnley battled very well today and gave us a very tough game. In the middle of the park they battled for everything and tried to unsettle Diaby and Denilson. We couldn't play our usual passing football, largely due to the state of the pitch and Burnley's pressing when we did have the ball. We came through it though thanks to two moments of brilliance from Eduardo who has been superb in the last 4-5 games.

Burnley started off the better team and came very close to opening the scoring. The ball was played down the channel to Gray who turned Senderos so easily and put a brilliant ball into the centre and Lafferty sent the ball crashing against the crossbar. If he had headed the ball down then it would have probably been a certain goal, however he didn't and we got away with it. We seemed to liven up after that and it woke us up. Eduardo created space superbly by draggin Varga out of the defence and Toure played a good ball over the top, Eduardo latched onto it and calmly put it away. Typical of his recent finishing and gave us a great start. Burnley weren't put off by this and actually carried on hassling and getting forward. A ball into the box caused unnecessary trouble as Traore held onto the ball instead of just sending it into row Z and Blake sent it over the bar.

I wasn't impressed with Traore today. His defending was very shacky at times and everytime the ball went down our left hand side he was usually beaten. He was also very wasteful when going forward and gave the ball away a number of times. He is young though and will hopefully learn from his mistakes ahead of the game against Spurs on Wednesday.

We had another good chance before the end with Bendtner creating something out of nothing with a superb bicycle kick, which was comfortably saved by Kiraly who looked very shaky all afternoon. At the end of the half Burnley were definitely still in the match and the next goal would be crucial.

We came out second half and still were not at our best. Burnley continuing to press us and were actually dominating the game, without creating any real chances. On the break though we created a superb chance. Eduardo played the ball into Bendtner and he controlled it before giving it back to Eduardo, the defence seemed to open up for Eduardo and given his recent clinical finishing I was suprised that he put it just wide of the post. That was our chance to seal the game and kill off Burnley. Burnley carried on going at us, but Senderos was suprisingly very strong at the back in the second half, after a shaky first half. Toure was back to his best today and gave the ball away a lot less than he has been. Kolo and Sagna gave us the experience we needed to avoid any difficult moments.

Then the talking point of the match. Lafferty lost the ball and lunged into win the ball and went over the ball and caught Gily with studs up. Imo it was worthy of a yellow card and that would be sufficient. However Wiley who was very fussy all game brandished the red card. A very harsh decision imo and very similar to that of the Ipswich lad who was sent off yesterday. We should have then taken control of the game, but our midfielders couldn't take control of the game. Eboue was particularly poor today. His end product is simply not good enough to play on the right wing. His passing was horrific and as was his shooting. I'll be glad to see the back of him for a few weeks to be honest.

Burnley were tiring and we killed them off with the second goal from Nicholas Bendtner. Eduardo played a superb through ball to Bendtner he took one touch round the keeper and slotted it away nicely. That was game over and done with and I thought we may go on and grab a couple more if Burnley heads fell. We instead just kept the ball well and saw the game out. Eduardo had another good chance, after he was sent through on goal from a delightful through ball from Diaby, one on one with Kiraly and he stood up well and guessed what way Eduardo was going and took the ball.

A good win today and getting through was all that mattered and into the draw for the fourth round. Some good EPL teams have fallen this weekend to lower opposition and I am glad we aren't one of them. I thought Kolo was superb as captain today and we will miss him badly, as he now goes for the ACON, but we knew this and we must now battle on without him.

2-0 as I predicted and Dudu does it again :D
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby left right left » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:19 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Now is it me or has Bendtner been really poor :(

the goal was the only thing he did right!!! lucky for him ed had a good game!!
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cheese » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:01 pm

left right left wrote:
All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Now is it me or has Bendtner been really poor :(

the goal was the only thing he did right!!! lucky for him ed had a good game!!

I think he scored 30 seconds after i posted that lol

Yeah he didn't have a great game kept getting tackled when he run towards goal and on at least two occasions should have passed to Eduardo but fail to do so.

Goal was good though.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:41 am

I thought we looked indifferent for most of the game, we never really took hold even after Burnley had a man sent off, I don't know if it was down to some of our ladstaking Burnley lightly or something else. I know we didn't have our regular back 4 and keeper, but we were often all over the place, Traore looked good at times and awful at others.
Bendtner was invisible for most of the game, and if he was involved in play and lost the ball he just stood there and let the game carry on without him. Was not impressed I must say.
Still, you can't take anything away from Burnley because they were well up for it and gave us all we could handle.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby CLS » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 am

i thought it was an ok game for a neutral as burnley deserved at least a draw but as an arsenal fan it was painfull to watch but ha ho were in the hat
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Libertine » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:04 pm

I really enjoyed the game.
A bumpy pitch and a lower league team playing above themselves made it a proper cup tie.

Two good goals and no injuries, job done!

Either mancs or yids away in the next round please. :9:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Burnley Vs Arsenal | FA Cup R3 06/01/08

Postby SE13 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:01 pm

Arsene Wenger, via e-mail wrote:Dear Supporter,

I was pleased to get through to the Fourth Round of the FA Cup after a difficult game at Turf Moor on Sunday.

Burnley played well. They missed the first chance with a header against the crossbar and I firmly believe that a goal then would have had a big effect on the game. At 1-0 in that atmosphere it would have been a very different game for us.

We took our first chance through Eduardo but Burnley pushed us back a bit in the second half. We missed a few chances for the second goal and then the sending off killed the game before Nicklas Bendtner made it 2-0.

I must say that Burnley gave everything. They played at a high pace and in a fair way. I am surprised to see where they are in the Championship - that division must be very difficult. What surprised me was the tempo of their game and how quickly they could pass it. I was surprised by the quality of their crosses but they could not score.

One of the differences on Sunday was the quality of our finishing. Eduardo scored one and for me the surprise of the day was that he missed the other one. You quickly get used to your players putting the ball in the back of the net. But he has scored one and had an assist for the second so the two strikers did well.

I rested a number of players for the Cup tie because I have a squad and I am not afraid to use it. We went to Everton with Bendtner and Eduardo up front like we did at Burnley. I rotate the squad but my team on Sunday still had top-quality players. I had a Premier League side out there but we had a busy Christmas period so I had to rest some of them.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08