Arsenal Vs West Ham | Premiership 01/01/08

Postby SE13 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:56 pm

Game over!!

Arsenal 2-0 West Ham.

After all we were worried about, we killed them off early.

Delighted!!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Arsenal Vs West Ham | Premiership 01/01/08

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:00 pm

Get in there!!!! 2-0!!! im loving it! :20:

Still top of the League! the mancs can shove that up that up their Arse! :evil_f_you: :lol:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby rvtheace » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Cruise control! :cool:
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby mastercox1912 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:09 pm

any links to see the 2nd goal ?
mastercox1912
Liam Brady

Postby arseman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:22 pm

mastercox1912 wrote:any links to see the 2nd goal ?

http://verdensvevet.com/arsenal/pl07-ar ... stham.html
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Arsenal keep up the pace with assured win
Arsenal 2 West Ham 0

Arsenal started 2008 as they meant to go on with a comfortable home victory over West Ham United. The Hammers may have beaten Manchester United at the weekend, but there was to be no repeat this afternoon, with the league leaders grabbing an early lead through in-form Eduardo.

An amazing finish from the tightest of angles by Emmanuel Adebayor doubled the home side's advantage just when the Hammers looked to have regrouped.

The game was effectively over as a contest by the interval, with Arsenal simply going through the motions during the second half and running down the clock with ease.

However, yet again Arsene Wenger's young Gunners have displayed more than enough character and quality to make a sustained assault on the title over the second half of the campaign.

Before the match, there was a period of silence in respect of Phil O'Donnell, who died suddenly during Motherwell's Clydesdale Bank Premier League match at the weekend.

When they game kicked off, Arsenal wasted little time before they raced into the lead. Cesc Fabregas was fed the ball on the left, where the Spaniard held up possession before chipping over a lofted pass into the penalty area.

The ball landed perfectly for Eduardo, who collected it on his chest before volleying a low shot into the far corner for a 10th goal of a quickly-improving season, with five in the past three games.

West Ham - the first team to win here last season - were clearly shocked by conceding inside two minutes. However, slowly the visitors regained their shape. Carlton Cole caused some concern in the Arsenal box before Mark Noble saw an effort blocked by Toure and then stabbed the loose ball wide.

In the 11th minute Cole got clear in the left side of the area again, this time his goalbound shot was deflected behind. From the resulting corner, Anton Ferdinand saw his close-range effort cleared off the line by Gael Clichy.

Manuel Almunia, the Arsenal goalkeeper, was too busy for manager Arsene Wenger's liking and in the 16th minute he needed to make a save at the near post to deny Freddie Ljungberg, his former team-mate.

However, just when it seemed the hosts were on the back foot, they made it 2-0 in the 18th minute. Clichy sent a long ball up field from deep inside the Arsenal half and the bounce took it away from Ferdinand and Matthew Upson, with Adebayor galloping clear.

The big Togo striker got a touch ahead of the onrushing Robert Green, and although the angle was tight almost at the byline, Adebayor somehow managed to squeeze the ball past Upson and in off the far post.

West Ham continued to press and Cole's centre into the six-yard box from the right picked out John Pantsil, who was just off target with his overhead kick.

In the 37th minute, West Ham were forced into a change when Jack Collison, the Wales Under-21 captain, replaced Ljungberg, who looked to have a hamstring problem.

Arsenal felt they had a strong penalty shout when the ball appeared to strike Jonathan Spector on his outstretched arm following a cross by Eboue from the right. However, referee Chris Foy was unconvinced.

After a quiet start to the second half, Eduardo looked to have been held back at the far post by Hammers captain Lucas Neill following a deep cross from Hoyte - but again the referee remained unmoved.

At the other end, defender George McCartney tried his luck with a volley, which flew just wide, from the edge of the box. With 27 minutes left, Eduardo was replaced by Theo Walcott and Arsenal remained in control.

Walcott made space for himself on the edge of the box after turning inside Neill, but his low shot lacked power. Green was out quickly to block a close-range effort from a sliding Tomas Rosicky as Arsenal pressed for a third, which ultimately they failed to find.

Courtesy of Times Online
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:15 am

Always good to beat them c***s!

Two brilliant finishes for our goals.

10 points out of 12 over Xmas is a brilliant effort by the lads.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Libertine wrote:10 points out of 12 over Xmas is a brilliant effort by the lads.

That's got to be our best points tally for a few years now over the festive period?

Ditto to what Libs said "Great effort by the lads" :1: :1: :1:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:19 pm

Arsene Wenger, via E-Mail wrote:
Dear Supporter,

First of all I'd like to wish you a happy New Year. The festive period has been absolutely great for us because we had four difficult games and we came out with one draw and three wins. If you add the Chelsea game it's four wins and one draw.

We looked comfortable against West Ham on Tuesday. I felt in the first half they were dangerous, especially on set pieces. We didn't look at ease at times but we were in control in the second half without really pushing for more goals.

Our defenders were determined to keep a clean sheet and West Ham didn't really challenge us after the break. They looked a little tired after their win against Manchester United.

Eduardo scored our first goal very early on - he is such a clinical finisher. It looks so natural for him, he just chested it down and found the bottom corner in a fraction of a second.

Our second goal showed that we have alternative options to our short passing game. Gael Clichy played a fantastic long pass - just like he did for Eduardo at Everton - and I still don't understand how Emmanuel Adebayor's shot went in from such a narrow angle.

Teams that come to Emirates Stadium play 4-5-1, they try to mark us very tight and push us high up the pitch. That means their defenders need to play nearly on the halfway line, and with the players we have we can use the ball over the top. If teams drop deep we cannot use that option but West Ham decided to push very high up and that gave us room behind their central defenders. We work on using the runs of Adebayor because he has so much pace and power.

Our 2-0 win against West Ham leaves us two points clear at the top of the Premier League. It's too early to go into mind games but I feel at the moment we have the luxury, going into January, that we can rely on our performances.

Manchester United will be a tough opponent but we have belief, we have talent, and we are ready to fight. This team is hungry and we have the right ingredients to challenge for the title. But it is not only us and United, you still have to count Chelsea and Liverpool.

I certainly prefer leading from the front though because you just depend on your own results. If you are second you can say you do not look at the others but you do because you have to hope that your rivals don't perform.

It's the New Year, time for resolutions, and mine is to give absolutely everything I have, every bit of energy, to make this Club successful. It's a pleasure to work with these players and I want them to be successful.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:15 pm

I love Wengers emails to the Gooners, they are always so articulate and well thought out.....I'd love to see one from whiskey nose to the mancs. It would probably involve a lot of growling and the word "bollocks" :39:
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rodney » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:05 am

A very comfortable day, is how I would sum up today's game. I was really expecting a lot more from West Ham and ourselves, but the two early goals really killed the game and we were happy to take it easy for the rest of the game and West Ham were happy with just a 2-0 defeat. It's the first time in a long time that I've been to an Arsenal game that is so lifeless. The bloody West Ham fans and their bloody bubbles though jesus christ how many times do they have to sing that song.

We got off to the best possible start after some great play from Tommy and Cesc. Cesc played a great ball into Eduardo's who chest control and finish were superb. 3 goals in 2 games and his overall performance was very good today. Wenger mentioned in his programme notes that his overall game needed to improve and today his overall game was very good. After the perfect start it then got better Ade got onto a through ball and managed to get to it before Green and headed it past him, it looked like he had put it too far in front of him, but with his left foot he managed to direct it towards goal and the ball then came off the post and spun in. Don't know how it went in, but that is another goal for Ade and he is now well on his way to scoring 20 goals this season. West Ham had a couple of half chances with Noble going fairly close. Freddie was unlucky at a corner as it appeared Clichy knew nothing about his clearence off the line. Carlton Cole also came mightly close after a deflection on his shot from Toure. Freddie also forced another good save from England's number 1 :D

Freddie came off injured which reminded me a lot of his last two years at the club. He got a standing ovation though as he came off, which he thorougly deserved for his performances at the club over his 8-9 years at the club. Appears he is still very much picking up niggling injuries which appear to be ruining his career. I can't believe Curbishely didn't bring Ashton on and put two up front especially being two goals down. Instead the brought on a youngster who gave the ball away an awful lot and seemed scared on the big stage.

Coming out in the second half I knew the next goal would be crucial as it would either kill the game, or give West Ham a massive boost we'd already blown a 2-0 league against Sunderland this season. However, West Ham didn't come at us like I expected and neither did we attempt to push on. We played the ball around nicely, but never threatened West Ham and with Cole on his own up front we coped easily with their attack. Pantsil who appears to be something of a West Ham legend couldn't get past Clichy all game long and Hoyte was very solid on the other side. I'd like to see Justin play again on Sunday as he has been really good in the games he has played in and it would give Sagna a nice mid season break.

Flamini was again brilliant in his holding role. He broke up play, won his tackles and won a number of key headers for a small man. Rosicky also played well today and hopefully he will kick on in the league and Champions league for us.

Ade came close to scoring his second on two occassions both just going wide. Hleb had one of his I will refuse to shoot moments when it seemed all he would have to do is role the ball into the corner he chose to pass to Tommy and another chance gone. Theo had a good chance, but after good work hit a 5 year olds shot at the keeper. He then appeared to injure his shoulder as well, which he had so many problems with last season so hopefully that isn't a recurrence of an old injury.

Overall a good three points and are still two points ahead of United :D
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08