Arsenal Vs Spurs | Premiership 22/12/07

Re: Arsenal Vs Spurs | Premiership 22/12/07

Postby FromSydney » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:32 pm

tonyrampanttiger wrote:holy shit!!!

Haha! I had a similar sort of reaction. Not that I thought Almunia was incapable of saving it but the high percentage of penalties go in and I really expected Keane to score. Well done Almunia (stayed so calm too).

Nervous about the Carling Cup semis but hopefully we can get results from those too.
Still top of league even if Man United get 3 points from Everton. Hopefully we can stay there.

OO, OO, OO TO BE, OO TO BE A, GOONER!
P.S Merry Christmas everybody!
FromSydney
Liam Brady

Postby left right left » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:00 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
absolutely_fabregas wrote:haha

lrl knows nothing :cool:

I'm glad you pointed that out. I was going to go back to that thread where LRL said "Bendtner is crap - we should sell him in Jan"

:24:

1 goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he has scored 1 and you think he will win us the prem!!

get real lads
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:02 pm

only pullin u leg, but still, hes a good player
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Gunflash » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:06 am

We were far from brilliant but we won. You need that if you're going to win the title. How many times did Chelsea during their two Premiership-winning seasons get a result despite being below-par? Fabregas provided a moment of genius to set up Adebayor. Adebayor, much like Pires before him, is becoming the scourge of Spurs. Almunia's penalty save was quite comfortable but he did very well by refusing to react to Keane's stuttering run-up. Our last two winning goals in the league have come from headers from corners. How often have Arsenal scored that type of goal under Wenger? Rarely. So the team's developing many attributes that it has lacked in the past. It's great to be top at Christmas. Hopefully we'll still be there on 11th May.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:10 am

Gunflash wrote:We were far from brilliant but we won. You need that if you're going to win the title. How many times did Chelsea during their two Premiership-winning seasons get a result despite being below-par? Fabregas provided a moment of genius to set up Adebayor. Adebayor, much like Pires before him, is becoming the scourge of Spurs. Almunia's penalty save was quite comfortable but he did very well by refusing to react to Keane's stuttering run-up. Our last two winning goals in the league have come from headers from corners. How often have Arsenal scored that type of goal under Wenger? Rarely. So the team's developing many attributes that it has lacked in the past. It's great to be top at Christmas. Hopefully we'll still be there on 11th May.

Well said, you summed it up well.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby rodney » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:44 am

f***ing well done the Arsenal :D

We were absolutely awful today and we still beat the shite down the Lane. Can't believe we won after what happened in the second half and how poor we were. Can't believe Robin is injured again and as expected Theo wasn't there. Any news on Robin and how long he will be out for? We again missed him dearly whilst playing that bloody 4-5-1 formation and the useless Eboue on the right flank.

There isn't much to say about the first half as f**k all happened. We didn't get going at all and when Spurs had the ball they did nothing with it. They didn't have a player who could open up the Arsenal defence. Lennon was shocking today got found out by a quality left back. He kicks the ball to the line and gets a cross in, there was no variation in his game at all. Berbatov showed a couple of nice touches as always, but he goes down expecting a free kick because he is Berbatov. Don't know what Spurs fans think of that, but he goes down (not diving) but sort of stops just expecting a free kick. I thought Styles was awful for both teams there was once or twice Spurs should have had free kicks and they weren't given and then he gave Spurs free kicks that were never fouls.

Spurs had a few shots that were nowhere near attempts from Berbatov and O'Hara. Eboue had a decent attempt well saved by Robinson and another decent enough save from Robinson from a Toure header. Was a poor first half that Spurs shaded just because of their possession. I expected Eboue to come off and Wenger put two up front as the 4-5-1 just simpl wasn't working.

We came out all guns blazing whatever Wenger said seemed to work. We came out on fire and scored a great goal after a superb backheel from Cesc and Ade slotted home calmly and another goal from the legend against Spurs We then came close again from Cesc and looked like we would then go from strength to stength. To be fair to Spurs they weathered the storm and came back at us. O'Hara really impressed me today and was far and away the best player today considering that is his first Spurs start, I'm assuming? He battled well and was at the heart of anything good Spurs did.

Robbie Keane had a great chance to level things up, but he smacked it against the bar when he really should have scored. Spurs got their equaliser only a few minutes later and on the balance of play deservedly. I was sitting at the opposite end of the pitch so I'll have to watch MoTd to see what happened, but it looked a quality finish from Berbatov to put it into the top corner. Then we were really looking shaky and Spurs got a penalty I've been told it was a stonewaller so no complaints there. I said to my brother that Keane never misses penalties and I then thought that this was going to be a bad day. But up step Manuel Almunia A great save and that finally has made up for the CL final. We were rallied by this and I expected us to come on strong. Fat boy was marking Bendtner who had only just come on and Bendtner got away from him so easily and powered home. A great header from Bendtner and great to see him score his first league goal I think for the club.

I still thought we would need another goal if we were going to win the game and Spurs seemed like they could have had another penalty, but it looked like Taarabt went down easily, but again I was at the other end of the pitch and will have to see MoTd first. We held out though for a great win after one of our worst performances of the season. We drew games like that last season and winning games like that this year will be vital if we're going to win the title.

I'm really hoping RVP's injury isn't serious as we need him back alongside Ade asap, as we just don't look enough of a threat with one up front especially at home where we should be the dominating force. I would definitely give Bendtner a start up front on Wednesday and put Hleb on the right taking out Eboue, if RVP is injured and can't play.

I'm so delighted we won today as it means another year without having to listen to the yids bang on and that shuts them up for a while. We have a lot bigger things to worry about now going into the second half of the season. Still top of the league and now lets hope Chelsea and United slip up tomorrow :D
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby rachel83 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:52 am

another excellent review, rodney :)
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rvtheace » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:22 am

Nice one rodney. Stupid game, I think quite a few of the midfielders looked tired, and what's worse, Hleb wasn't really playing 'in-the-hole', he was playing in central midfield! They are just Spurs, for crying out loud!
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:35 am

Nice one! Sums it all up nicely.

I've said it time and again, getting results out of games like that is the hallmark of CHAMPIONS.

I care not how it happened, we beat The Scum, and I'm still in Euphoria!

Now to MOTD and savour it all again!!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:18 am

Excellent write-up Rodney, summed up perfectly.

Another notch on the Arsenal post!
I agree we didnt play at our best & the 2nd half was the better of the 2, cant really add more than what has already been said, but at the end of the day we won & once again took maximumim points of the yids, cant complain about that! lovely finish from Ade for the 1st goal & Bendnters header was simply sublime!
I couldnt watch the penalty, holding my head in my hands, daring myself to peep at the tv, i was crapping it!

Totally agree with Rodney on O'Hara, as i mentioned elsewhere, i was very impressed by him.
Was not at all amused with Berbatov, is it me or did he spend most of the game on the deck???
Every time a player went near him he seemed to go down.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby SE13 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:57 am

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Was not at all amused with Berbatov, is it me or did he spend most of the game on the deck???
Every time a player went near him he seemed to go down.

Apparently he is staying in the same house as Eboue..... :15:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08