Postby SE13 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:01 am

Barclays Premiership

ARSENAL vs Chelsea

Image Image

Sunday 16th December 2007

4pm

Live on Skysports 1

Ashburton Grove

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea | Premiership 16/12/07

Postby Trina » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:18 am

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech is hoping to be Arsenal's 'Scrooge' this Christmas - by picking up three points at the Emirates this weekend.

The Czech Republic international returned to action in Chelsea's UEFA Champions League stalemate with Valencia at Stamford Bridge after a spell out with a calf injury.

Cech believes that in this notoriously chilly time of year the title race really starts to hot up.

"It is a time of year when there are so many difficult games in such a short space of time," he said.

"The first year I came to Chelsea I remember going into the Christmas period five points behind Arsenal - but then we got a good 2-2 draw at Highbury.

"By the time Christmas matches were completed, we were five points ahead of them."

Arsenal have been dealt significant blows recently - both on and off the field. Dropped points at Newcastle and Middlesbrough and injuries to key players have seen the Gunners suffer a pre-Christmas blip.

Losses

However, Cech believes his own side have been just as unfortunate - and have coped admirably.

"We have also had to cope without big players," said Cech.

"John Terry, Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard have all been missing for small spells. Now Drogba is out but we are still winning points.

"Arsenal have shown they are a good side, but I think we are catching them up. We are only three points behind now and unbeaten in 16 games".

Star midfielder Frank Lampard echoed the importance of Sunday's fixture - and senses that now is a good time to travel to the Emirates.

"It's a massive game for us on Sunday," he said.

"Arsenal have been fantastic this season, but obviously they've slipped up a bit in the last couple of days.

"Although that happens to everyone - it's a great opportunity for us to go there and close the gap on them a little bit more."

skysports
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Cheese » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:20 am

The Walcott, Van Persie and Bendtner worked well on Wednesday night i would love to see that again.

.................Almunia.
.....Sagna. Toure. Gallas. Clichy.
...Walcott. Diarra. Denilson. Rosicky.
.............v Persie. Bendtner.

Although if Cesc, Flamini and Hleb were fit i would swap them for Diarra, Denilson and Rosicky.

:flag:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:59 am

almunia

sagna toure gallas clichy

hleb flamini fabregas rosicky

van persie adebayor

i would be in dreamland if we got this team out on sat.

adebayor is goin to start so im trying to get behind him, he plays better with van p anyway
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby StLGooner » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:25 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:The Walcott, Van Persie and Bendtner worked well on Wednesday night i would love to see that again.

.................Almunia.
.....Sagna. Toure. Gallas. Clichy.
...Walcott. Diarra. Denilson. Rosicky.
.............v Persie. Bendtner.

Although if Cesc, Flamini and Hleb were fit i would swap them for Diarra, Denilson and Rosicky.

:flag:

I like this line up, except I might play Denilson at RAM and leave Diarra on the left side of CM and play him in a more defensive roll.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cheese » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:27 pm

Does anyone think Lehmann might start?

I just got this feeling that he is going to be in goal on sunday :10:
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:29 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Does anyone think Lehmann might start?

you know AW wouldn't disrupt the team chemistry like that. That would be a bold move. All I ask is that he please don't play Eboue. :9:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cheese » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:33 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Does anyone think Lehmann might start?

you know AW wouldn't disrupt the team chemistry like that. That would be a bold move. All I ask is that he please don't play Eboue. :9:

I agree i don't want Eboue to play for 2 reasons,

1) Walcott deserves a start after his performance (plus we see how well he played against them in the Carling Cup final)

2) because Eboue's last performance was pathetic (Dirty challenges and no good perfomances of late)
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:25 pm

'Signs look quite good' for Flamini, Fabregas and Hleb

The “signs look quite good” for Arsenal’s injured midfield trio ahead of the crucial Premier League clash with Chelsea at Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

Mathieu Flamini (thigh), Cesc Fabregas and Alex Hleb (both hamstring) are all back in training and fighting to be fit for what could be a pivotal game in the title race. A decision will be made as late as Sunday morning.

All three collected their injuries during a run of four away games straddling the end of November and the start of December. Arsenal returned home on Wednesday against Steaua Bucharest and, in that game, were able to start Robin van Persie for the first time in two months. He suffered no ill-effects and has been named in the squad but Theo Walcott collected a knock on his knee against the Romanian side. The England winger is definitely out and, of course, question marks remain over those others.

“Who will make it, I don’t know?” said Arsène Wenger at his pre-match press conference. “We know Robin van Persie will be available. As for Mathieu Flamini, Cesc and Alex Hleb, the signs look quite good but we have to make a decision.”

The manager added that if Fabregas was passed fit he would play.

“Theo Walcott is out with a little knee problem,” the Frenchman continued. “That is a question of days and we feel he should be OK for Tuesday maybe.”

Courtesy of Arsenal.com

I'm gutted Walcott is out but hopefully we will see at least one of the midfield trio... :9:
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:30 pm

:42: Theo's out, god damnit, I was counting on his pace to be a factor in the 2nd half. Good news about the other 3, but if they don't go and Theo is out we may be in trouble.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Younggooner08 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:59 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:almunia

sagna toure gallas clichy

hleb flamini fabregas rosicky

van persie adebayor

i would be in dreamland if we got this team out on sat

Id prefer it if they startd on sunday but wouldnt we all?
Cant believe Walcotts out but if we get even of 1 the trio back ill feel a lot happier
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rodney » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:52 am

Can't wait for the game tomorrow and so glad that I'll be there to scream abuse at Cole :D

Still not sure how the game will go as still no idea who is going to play. I'm praying that Hleb makes it as we need him badly if we are to win this game. It's probably our biggest of the season so far as a win would be such a confidence boost and deliver such a blow to Chelsea at the same time. If United drop points at Pool as well it will allow us to extend our lead back at the top.

Without Essien, Carvalho and Drogba Chelsea are seriously under strength, but when you can bring in Alex, £16 million Mikel and £30 million Shechenko to replace those three it really shouldn't be much of a loss. Wright Philips and Joe Cole are the two players that can cause us problems so Clichy and Sagna will need to be at their best if we are to keep a clean sheet.

I seem to say this everyweek, but Henry was brilliant at it and if Ade is to go anyway towards replacing him he needs to do what the greatman did and deliver on a regular basis and we need a big performance from Ade and a match winning goal, as I don't see there being many goals. If Van Persie plays even if it is just for an hour he can make the difference with a killer pass, free kick or special goal. Plus they were forging a deadly partnership before Robin picked up his injury.

I can't bloody wait for this and I am going with my heart and saying 2-1 Arsenal.

Gallas and Ade :D
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ozgooner » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:14 am

can't wait for this game :3: it is on at 3am here in oz :tv: and i think i had better get some shut eye then get up to watch it ........ nah thats far to sensible , i'll get on the piss and stay up for it . will take monday off work so that can really give it a good go .

so ............. anyone fancy gettin a drunken phone call from australia at halftime ??? pm me your number plus country code and i may just give one of you a call for a chat :okej: :idea:

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rachel83 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:40 am

:0 Wow. What is the time difference between here and there? 3am Monday? It starts at 11am here...
I'm so confused. I really need to go to bed. :sleeping:
Hopefully I can sleep. I'm so nervous-excited!
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Arsenal Vs Chelsea | Premiership 16/12/07

Postby SE13 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:21 am

I wish it was 11am our time! I am chomping at the bit in readiness for this one.

I'm scouting around for early team news, and obviously we'll get it here first, or as near to first as possible.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Next

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08