Slavia Prague Vs Arsenal | Champions League 07/11/07

Re: Slavia Prague Vs Arsenal | Champions League 07/11/07

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:25 am

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

think we need to chill out boy scouts

we went away from home with our reserves in the champs league and still avoided defeat.

what do people expect? that our reserves should be going to the champions of other coutries leagues and play amazing football as well as score lots of goals
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:53 am

I'm happy with that point.
A draw away in the Champs League, with our League Cup line-up in an experimental formation, against a team that knocked Ajax out, is a decent result.
With it blowing a gale, the rain coming in sideways and players being rested, this was a potential banana skin.
Whilst we never really threatened, i didn't feel that they looked likely to score either.

Roll on the knockout stages! ;)
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby rodney » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:28 am

absolutely_fabregas wrote:wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

think we need to chill out boy scouts

we went away from home with our reserves in the champs league and still avoided defeat.

what do people expect? that our reserves should be going to the champions of other coutries leagues and play amazing football as well as score lots of goals

Reserves? A lot of them could one day be first team players. I personally did not expect them to go to Prague and win 7-0 again, however I did expect a win and a good performance from the lads. We achieved neither of them. This is a great opportunity for some players to show they deserve a place in the first team and only Diarra took that chance.

Prague played very well and a far better game than in the first game at the Emirates, but we should still have put in a better performance and had enough to beat Prague.
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:24 am

rodney wrote:Reserves? A lot of them could one day be first team players. I personally did not expect them to go to Prague and win 7-0 again, however I did expect a win and a good performance from the lads. We achieved neither of them. .

it was the carling cup team apart from clichy and almunia and gallas, at the moment they are our reserves.
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby rodney » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:53 am

absolutely_fabregas wrote:
rodney wrote:Reserves? A lot of them could one day be first team players. I personally did not expect them to go to Prague and win 7-0 again, however I did expect a win and a good performance from the lads. We achieved neither of them. .

it was the carling cup team apart from clichy and almunia and gallas, at the moment they are our reserves.

I would call them squad members and they will play an important part of our season if we are going to win the league. You need a strong squad and one that you can rely upon in difficult situations. They may not be first team now, but there will be points this season where we will need to call upon everyone of those 8 "reserves" and if they play like they did yesterday we will be in trouble.

I assume you agreed that it was a poor perforamnce by your failure to state anything. If you think we will go through the season playing our first 11 in every game you're very msitaken.
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Trina » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:26 pm

I agree Rodney I thought it was a poor performance. There was no flow there and they slipped so many times...not sure if that was due to the weather.

When you think we won 7-0 the week before and couldn't even score 1 goal last night....

Still we are through..
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby StLGooner » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:38 pm

I think we've all been spoiled so far this season seeing them play great and expecting that every time. I was a bit frustrated last night with there play and rightfully so. In there defense, they just didnt' seem up for the game, and the conditions speak for themselves. I think the main thing I'm worried about now is hoping they didn't lose any momentum, lets just hope AW gets them excited for Reading.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Trina wrote:When you think we won 7-0 the week before and couldn't even score 1 goal last night....

Didn't Liverpool lose against Besiktas the wekk before they beat them 8-0?

That's football!
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Trina » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:46 pm

True, I forgot about that.

I just found the game very frustrating! Not used to no goals :P
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:51 pm

rodney wrote:If you think we will go through the season playing our first 11 in every game you're very msitaken.

And if you think we'll go through a season, playing brilliantly every game, then you are also very much mistaken.

We didn't even achieve that during the Invincible season of 03/04!
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:55 pm

The main thing is that we got 'that point' that was needed we played a weaker side but one that was capible of getting a result, i honestly feel had the weather not been so bad we might have got a bit of rythem and got a win.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CLS » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:59 pm

i think its a case of job done

wasnt pretty to watch but is was a game the reserve players would off last last season,
they fought for the ball and it was very slippery out there not to metion bloody freezing

i think they did the best they could and learnt a lot for the experience

still unbeaten :trophy:
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:02 pm

yea its easy to look at all the negative and see the game as a let down, because we are use to them playing so well this season. But the positive is, I believe no one got injured, cesc and hleb are rested, we advanced, and we still haven't lost. success in my book.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Libertine wrote:
rodney wrote:If you think we will go through the season playing our first 11 in every game you're very msitaken.

And if you think we'll go through a season, playing brilliantly every game, then you are also very much mistaken.

I dont think Rodney's saying that, what im assuming he's trying to get across is that these are the players that no doubt we will be calling upon should injuries arise (heaven forbid!).

I see where he's coming from & yes it wasnt one of our better performances, despite Gallas & Gilberto playing i think we missed the presence of Cesc & who knows maybe the players missed that too, he seems to lift the team, could well have been that, added to fact it was bloody freezing, hammering down, windy & away from home.
Of course we cant expect beautiful entertaining football all the time, as much as we'd love it, but the other thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that the lesser experienced players, will have learnt something & the only way they are going to gain experience in this competition is by playing on the big stage.
Im sure had we played a stronger team, then we would have won maybe not by the big margin we did in the last meeting, but nonetheless i do think we would have got 3pts....however this is meaningless, in the sense that we are now qualified, look at the scousers...they got an uphill battle despite winning 8-0, so tbh i wouldnt be suprised if Wenger uses the remaining 2 group fixtures to field the fringe players & rest the key players for the battles ahead.

Im satisfied with the point.

:005:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby rodney » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Libertine wrote:

Lucky that I didn't say that then isn't it ;)

I don't expect a great performance every match, but I do expect the team to perform a lot better than that. If we play like that against Reading then we will lose. Imo it was a missed opportunity for some of the squad players to show they deserve a first team place.

SGW has said exactly what I wanted to say as well. Injuries will happen and those players that played last night will be called upon. I would also point out that using the weather as an excuse is pathetic. The players should toughen up and battle through that. There may well be EPL games played in those types of conditions. I point out Everton away last season, pissing down with rain, cold and the battle from the lads wasn't there and we lost last minute.

I don't expect us to perform superb every game like we have done this season, but I don't expect us to play as poorly as that again either. On the bright side of things we have qualified and hopefully against Sevilla those same players will perform a lot better playing against a far better team than Slavia.
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08