Sheff Utd Vs Arsenal | Carling Cup 31/10/07

Re: Sheff Utd Vs Arsenal | Carling Cup 31/10/07

Postby chrisbishop69 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:53 am

i thought diarra was brilliant agian as was gibbs!
Chris is Cool
chrisbishop69
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:00 pm

I thought this was a good write up about last nights game
TheTimesOnline wrote:Arsenal showed that the addition of fire to their trademark flair extends to every member of Arsène Wenger’s talented squad in qualifying for the Carling Cup quarter-finals. And they did so at a canter at Bramall Lane last night, despite Sheffield United’s best efforts to expose their perceived soft centre and dislike of the attritional approach.

United had achieved that at this venue last season, when the clubs met in the top flight, outmuscling and outfighting Arsenal to record a 1-0 win. But there was never any danger of a recurrence, despite Wenger making 11 changes to the starting line-up that had begun Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Anfield in the Barclays Premier League.

As is his wont in this competition, the Arsenal manager used the game as an outing for the players on the fringe of his first team and a proving ground for some of the club’s talented youngsters. Moreover, his typically cosmopolitan collection included eight full international players, not least a World Cup winner in Gilberto Silva and Eduardo da Silva, the Brazil-born Croatia striker.

Eduardo has done his bit to scupper England’s chances of qualifying for Euro 2008 by scoring one of his adopted country’s goals in the 2-0 win in Zagreb last year. And the manner in which he opened Arsenal’s account here last night served as an ominous warning to England when the countries meet again at Wembley this month.

The build-up to the first goal was as simple as the execution was brutal. Alexandre Song moved the ball out of defence to Nicklas Bendtner, whose cross-field pass found Eduardo. From there the striker took one touch before, 20 yards from Ian Bennett’s goal, he lashed a left-foot shot into the roof of the net. Such was the ferocity and accuracy of the shot that Bennett could not get a touch, despite a brave attempt.

Eduardo’s second, which effectively put the game beyond United, could hardly have been more contrasting. Set up by a long pass forward from Kieran Gibbs, Eduardo opted for precision as opposed to power to beat Bennett.

As if to add to England’s sense of foreboding, however, Wenger believes that Eduardo is still searching for top gear after his £8 million move from Dynamo Zagreb in the summer. “When I sign a player I don’t judge him during the first six months,” Wenger said. “He started well for us but dipped because he had an injury. I’ll start to look at him in January and February.”

While Eduardo is being granted plenty of time to acclimatise, Lukasz Fabianski, another summer signing, captained the team in only his second appearance. That the Poland goalkeeper was given the armband in preference to Gilberto served only to fuel rumours of a rift between the midfield player and his manager.

Wenger, though, dismissed the suggestion, albeit with a bizarre logic. “I didn’t give the captaincy to Gilberto at the start of the season, so I didn’t want to give it to him tonight and then take it away again,” he said. “There is no problem between us.”

There was no evidence of any sulking from Gilberto, not least when he blocked Chris Lucketti’s shot on the line to deny the home side what would have been a deserved reward for their endeavour. By then, Denilson had added a third, but for Bryan Robson, the United manager, Eduardo’s second proved the decisive blow.

“We competed well in the first half, but the second goal killed us,” he said. “Arsenal pass the ball so well that you have no chance of coming back at them when they’re 2-0 up.”
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ScottishLass » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:22 pm

I thought diarra was quite wastefull last night - didnt really seem up to much to me in general but had an ok game - rest of the team were good aswell :) Superb goal by dudu tho :D
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:43 pm

i thought diarra played very well last night, strong in the tackle and good on the ball
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:14 pm

I agree with Scottish Lass, i thought Diarra was a bit wasteful last night.

There were times when he tried to do too much, when the simple ball was by far the better option.

Perhaps he was just trying too hard to impress?

I thought Diaby was a bit out of sorts too.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:35 pm

I thought Diarra's performance was better against Newcastle than he was last night against Sheffield Utd.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:38 pm

Libertine wrote:Perhaps he was just trying too hard to impress?

hit the nail on the head, there were occasions where he tried one thing too many, but still a good performance
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:52 pm

That was the great thing about last night, we put out 11 players who didn't play on sunday and although we wasn't as good as we were against Newcastle we did enough to get the job done.

Even our reserves can play bad and win :mrgreen:
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:26 pm

Speaking of winning, does anyone know when they'll release tickets for the next CC game?
I want to be at the Emirates for the next masterclass by our kids, assuming it's at home.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby rvtheace » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Libertine wrote:
rvtheace wrote:BTW, Nobody seems to have mentioned it in any of the match reviews, but Dudu's first goal took a little deflection, I think. ;)

No deflection on Eduardo's first Reg, it went in clean as a whistle. ;)

Reg? :P

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... ardo_sport

In the video, if you look at the goal from the camera behind the goalposts, it does look like the ball rises a bit more after passing the Sheffield player's outstretched boot. Could be an optical illusion, of course. ;)
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:16 pm

rvtheace wrote:

RV the ace

Surely the RV stands for Reg Varney of 'On The Buses' fame.....

And i've just seen the goals again, on the telly, and i still can't see any sign of a deflection.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby REG » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:49 pm

Everyone knows Reg rocks :cool:
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:19 pm

rvtheace wrote:
Libertine wrote:
rvtheace wrote:BTW, Nobody seems to have mentioned it in any of the match reviews, but Dudu's first goal took a little deflection, I think. ;)

No deflection on Eduardo's first Reg, it went in clean as a whistle. ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... ardo_sport

In the video, if you look at the goal from the camera behind the goalposts, it does look like the ball rises a bit more after passing the Sheffield player's outstretched boot. Could be an optical illusion, of course. ;)

That's the best angle to see it from to see that it DOESN'T touch anyone IMO.
The second to last replay from behind the goal, looking through the net you can see that the defenders leg is about a foot below the ball.
Definitely a clean strike IMO.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:51 pm

Libertine wrote:RV the ace

Surely the RV stands for Reg Varney of 'On The Buses' fame.....

Now I can't get the picture of Olive out of my mind! It's just a horrible thought as well!

These young 'uns don't know what they missed out on. TV was proper TV back in the day :lol:

I ought to put this thread back on track, but for those not old enough to remember.....

Right, back to the match! :mrgreen:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby REG » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:47 pm

Yuk thats Olive :oops:
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08