Git wrote:CHEEKY f***ers.

They really are scum.

and the FLOP got it :shock: :o:
AFC RED ARMY
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Re: Sheff Utd Vs Arsenal | Carling Cup 31/10/07

Postby rodney » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:58 pm

Firstly I was really disappointed with Sheffield United tonight. I expected them to give our lads a far tougher test, but they just didn't seem up for the game at all. Warnock had them rallied for the game at Bramell Lane last season and it was such a contrast the difference between the support and the team from only a season ago. I know its a far small competition, but anyone who watched the game will tell you they were very poor.

Saying that, I thought we were superb tonight. We played the ball around so well, Denilson in particular was superb tonight. He has such superb control of the ball, his passing is as good as anyone in our current squad, he has great strength, he has showed that he will be up for a battle tonight. He is more than ready for first team football and with Cesc in the position he wants he has a massive battle on his hand. However, it is great knowing we have a player of the quality of Denilson ready to come into the team and take Cesc's place. He managed to grab another goal tonight aided by a deflection, but still it was nice to see him taking a shot and as they say if you don't shoot you don't score.

Theo was really lively tonight and gave one of his best performances on the right hand side. You can really tell what the difference in his confidence since scoring those two goals. He have Armstrong an awful night and his pace and balance were brilliant tonight, he cam very close to scoring, but it was another good display from Theo. I'd like to see him up against John O'Shea on Saturday maybe for the last 20 minutes if he does indeed play left back.

Other good performers were both our centre backs. As everyone knows I am not a big Alex Song fan, but the guy really impressed me tonight. He was very solid at centre half. Won his tackles, showed good composure on the ball and did well in the air. Hoyte also did well next to him considering he was a full back and hopefully Justin can carry on pushing hard for a first team place and when injuries come he can get his chance. Diarra was brilliant at right back as well tonight his surging runs, superb in the tackle and I was very impressed with him. Gibbs did well at left back and looks a good prospect for the future. One downside was that Diaby didn't have a great night on the left hand side and it once again clearly showed it isn't his natural position. One for Wenger to think about.

Onto the front pair. Eduardo was really good tonight, two clinical finishes. The first a ferocious shot which flew into the top corner. That set us up perfectly and let us calm down and play the game at our own pace. The second was another great finish, if for example Ade was in that position you wouldn't be confident of him putting it away, but Eduardo has that composure in front of goal and did well tonight. Maybe enough to earn a starting place against United. Nichalas Bendtner was also really good tonight. I don't think he is anywhere near the finished article, but he battled well up front and held the ball up well, laid it off and did very well. The goal didn't come, but we know he has that in his locker and I am no longer pissed off with him after that miss. He could play a key role with so many games this season so he will play a big role.

Another good result and now bring on United :D
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:37 am

Brilliant account of the match Rodney. ;)

I agree, i also expected alot more from Sheffied Utd, It seemed pre-match that Robson was more concerned about their next 2 league fixtures leaving Beattie out, saying he looked tired.
I dont follow Championship football that much, but judging on last nights game alone, which really is a bit wrong, it looks as though they have lost the fight without Warnock at the helm.

Cant fault our performance, im not 100% on fabianski yet but again thats just 1 game, not that he had much to do but he looked a little nervous at times, however im sure like us he will be more than happy with his clean sheet.
Theo was soo unlucky not to score, thats the 2nd match now where the ball has richocetted off the post, great atttempt though, but i really felt for him.
Excellent performance from Eduardo, shame he had to come off, fingers crossed his foot is ok, well deserved MOTM, thought it would have been either him or Dennislon, (who as mentioned worked like a trojan, really good game for him) was nice to see Dudu post match, even though he is still learning english..cant be easy for him, but he's learnt Thankyou! :lol:

Not sure exactly whats going on with Gilberto, Wenger seemed to contradict himself a little in his post match interview, when asked why Fabianski got the armband instead of Gilberto....lets hope it jsut a storm in a tea cup so to speak, can understand how GIlby must feel though, being kept out of the 1st team atm. :? But he did brilliant tonight & i loved his little smirk when he poked his tongue out making a clearaace int he box! :lol:

Anyway a very satisfying result....bring on the Quarter Finals! :005:

Another month before we find out who we get next, the draw takes place live on:
Sky Sports Soccer Saturday, 3rd December 2007 at 12.10pm.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby rvtheace » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:22 am

rodney wrote:Firstly I was really disappointed with Sheffield United tonight. I expected them to give our lads a far tougher test, but they just didn't seem up for the game at all. Warnock had them rallied for the game at Bramell Lane last season and it was such a contrast the difference between the support and the team from only a season ago. I know its a far small competition, but anyone who watched the game will tell you they were very poor.

Saying that, I thought we were superb tonight. We played the ball around so well, Denilson in particular was superb tonight. He has such superb control of the ball, his passing is as good as anyone in our current squad, he has great strength, he has showed that he will be up for a battle tonight. He is more than ready for first team football and with Cesc in the position he wants he has a massive battle on his hand. However, it is great knowing we have a player of the quality of Denilson ready to come into the team and take Cesc's place. He managed to grab another goal tonight aided by a deflection, but still it was nice to see him taking a shot and as they say if you don't shoot you don't score.

Theo was really lively tonight and gave one of his best performances on the right hand side. You can really tell what the difference in his confidence since scoring those two goals. He have Armstrong an awful night and his pace and balance were brilliant tonight, he cam very close to scoring, but it was another good display from Theo. I'd like to see him up against John O'Shea on Saturday maybe for the last 20 minutes if he does indeed play left back.

Other good performers were both our centre backs. As everyone knows I am not a big Alex Song fan, but the guy really impressed me tonight. He was very solid at centre half. Won his tackles, showed good composure on the ball and did well in the air. Hoyte also did well next to him considering he was a full back and hopefully Justin can carry on pushing hard for a first team place and when injuries come he can get his chance. Diarra was brilliant at right back as well tonight his surging runs, superb in the tackle and I was very impressed with him. Gibbs did well at left back and looks a good prospect for the future. One downside was that Diaby didn't have a great night on the left hand side and it once again clearly showed it isn't his natural position. One for Wenger to think about.

Onto the front pair. Eduardo was really good tonight, two clinical finishes. The first a ferocious shot which flew into the top corner. That set us up perfectly and let us calm down and play the game at our own pace. The second was another great finish, if for example Ade was in that position you wouldn't be confident of him putting it away, but Eduardo has that composure in front of goal and did well tonight. Maybe enough to earn a starting place against United. Nichalas Bendtner was also really good tonight. I don't think he is anywhere near the finished article, but he battled well up front and held the ball up well, laid it off and did very well. The goal didn't come, but we know he has that in his locker and I am no longer pissed off with him after that miss. He could play a key role with so many games this season so he will play a big role.

Another good result and now bring on United :D

Nice post. It did look like a fabulous game!

BTW, Nobody seems to have mentioned it in any of the match reviews, but Dudu's first goal took a little deflection, I think. ;)

When was the last time an Arsenal squad contained 5 English players? Happened today, with 3 of them in the starting XI. We hardly need to worry even if that stupid ruling which forces a minimum number of local players comes into play.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:19 am

What other Premiership team can put out 11 diffrent players to the ones that started in the Premier league and win comfortably 3-0 away from home against a desent side?

Chelsea? No! they needed Lampard, Shevchenko and co. To beat Blackpool.
Man Utd? No! they 'second string' team got beat at home by Coventry in the last round.
Liverpool? No! they had big names like Gerrard, Carragher and Crouch.
T*tt*nh*m? No! Strongest squad possible to beat Blackpool at WHL.

First XI against Liverpool;
Almunia,
Sagna,
Toure,
Gallas,
Clichy,
Eboue,
Fabregas,
Flamini,
Rosicky,
Hleb,
Adebayor.

First XI against Sheffield Utd;
Fabianski,
Hoyte,
Song,
Gilberto,
Gibbs,
Diarra,
Diaby,
Denilson,
Walcott,
Bendtner,
Eduardo.

I know sheffield utd isn't the best team in the world but we made it look so easy...

:flag: :arsenal: :flag:

:005: :005: :005: :005: :005:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:16 am

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Another month before we find out who we get next, the draw takes place live on:
Sky Sports Soccer Saturday, 3rd December 2007 at 12.10pm.

I have just seen that the draw is this saturday at noon :?
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:35 am

rvtheace wrote:BTW, Nobody seems to have mentioned it in any of the match reviews, but Dudu's first goal took a little deflection, I think. ;)

No deflection on Eduardo's first Reg, it went in clean as a whistle. ;)

Good report Rodney ;)
I'd like to echo your comments on Justin Hoyte, i thought he was excellent at centre back last night.
He didn't have that much to do but, what he did, he did well and without fuss.

Two great goals by Eduardo. An explosive strike followed by a composed finish.
If his injury isn't too bad, i'd be suprised if he doesn't start on Saturday.

Bendtner really impressed me last night too.
Held the ball up well and was a constant threat to the Sheff Utd centre backs.
Great ball for Eduardo's first too.
His performance last night reminded me of Alan Smith. (high praise indeed!)

In summary, a job well done! :h:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:41 am

One other important issue:

Fabianski as captain, what was that all about?

hmmmm......................
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:42 am

Seeing Fabianski as captain last night just made me believe that Arsene believe's that this guy will be the long term replacement for Jens and Almunia...

His proformance wasn't as great as the one against Newcastle but a clean sheet is a clean sheet and thats 2/2 :h:
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:46 am

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Seeing Fabianski as captain last night just made me believe that Arsene believe's that this guy will be the long term replacement for Jens and Almunia...

But was it also an announcement on Gilberto's future (or lack of it!) at the club?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 am

Libertine wrote:
All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Seeing Fabianski as captain last night just made me believe that Arsene believe's that this guy will be the long term replacement for Jens and Almunia...

But was it also an announcement on Gilberto's future (or lack of it!) at the club?

Well Arsene Wenger was asked why Gilberto wasn't captain and he said it was Gilberto's choice and that it was to give the yougsters a chance.
I do think that Gilberto will be on his way soon but i believe everything is ok between himself and Wenger.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:09 am

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote: but i believe everything is ok between himself and Wenger.

I'm not so sure.
When a player who loves the club as much as Gilberto so obviously does, turns down the captaincy (having said that he wasn't happy with being overlooked as club captain for this season) i don't think things are too hunky-dory behind the scenes.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:42 am

Another thing:

How awful did that all white kit look?
I've never been a fan of our new white shirt but it looks even worse when paired with white shorts.

If Sheff Utd wear red and white stripes, how come we could wear a white shirt but not a red one?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2007-08