Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal

Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal

Postby SE13 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:50 pm

Where to start?

Firstly, let us remember that the scoreline really doesn't reflect the game, indeed it flatters Liverpool, who were bossed for long periods of this second leg. In fact the scoreline reflects a contentious decision late on allowing Liverpool one of the softest penalty awards in front of a baying Kop I can recall.

Arsenal exploded out of the blocks, and made Liverpool look less than ordinary, taking almost complete control from the off. Aside from a couple of rather speculative long range efforts, Liverpool offered little, while Arsenal grew in strength.

The Gunners took a deserved lead through the most unlikely source in Abou Diaby after 16 minutes, after a concise move ripped The Merseysiders to pieces, and a finish to bamboozle the bewildered goalkeeper.

Somewhat against the run of play, Liverpool seized on a Phillipe Senderos mistake from a corner. Sammi Hyppia had an acre of space available when Senderos appeared to briefly look in the wrong direction, and allow him the time to head home, via the post and over Cesc Fabregases head to level the tie.

Liverpool took the initiative and began a period of dominance of their own creating a few chances, while Arsenal were holding firm at the back.

Possibly one of the turning points in the game came just before the interval, when Matty Flamini was taken off with an ankle injury to be replaced by a somewhat game rusty Gilberto. Although Arsenal were to remain on level terms until the break, the reshuffle offered little.

The second half began much as the first half left off, with Liverpool having the initiative. Chances created, Arsenal holding firm. Not to say that Liverpool were the authors of their own missed chance collection. Kuyt came close, but still Arsenal held firm.

Then another of those moments, a classic Arsenal break, three unmarked players in the box, and Eboue opted to shoot from about an inch from the byline. The side netting bulged, while Adebayor nearly cried in sheer frustration.

Liverpool were to take the lead with a route one goal. Fernando Torres with a strike that most would be proud of on the turn, although he had perhaps more time than he knew what to do with! The finish was devastatingly accurate, and Arsenal were behind, although needing just a goal to go through.

Time for the cavalry. On came Theo Walcott and Robin Van Persie. And within moments, Adebayor had a chance, one on one, only to place the ball wide. This seemed to only inspire Arsenal, and young Theo Walcott in particular, who picked up the ball from deep in our half, and went on a mazy, pacy run. Beating players for pace and skill, he'd run all of 70 yards, found a precision cross to Adebayor, who finished from close in. And so the celebrations began, surely this was enough.

Barely had the Arsenal fraternity regained composure, when the referee made a simply bewildering decision to award Liverpool a penalty. Where the decision came from, I really don't know, possibly the influence of the thousands at The Kop End made his mind up, who knows. Reminders of the penalty not given at Ashburton Grove sprung straight to mind for us, but not for Steven Gerrard who hammered the spot kick past Almunia.

Advantage Liverpool, and with The Gunners having no option but to push forward with everyone, Liverpool were to break away and score a fourth.

A somewhat flattering scoreline in a thrilling match, sadly Arsenal are to fall short of the mark for yet another season.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal

Postby StLGooner » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Well done sir, well done. :clap:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:42 pm

A good but heartbreaking read, what a tragedy :(
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:49 pm

the eboue incident i think he miskicked it rather than took a shot

i dont blame him for that he was at full stretch
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Swifty » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:45 pm

That game was an absolute rollercoaster, very well captured in that report. I really did think it was gona be aour night though. when Theo went on that miracle run & Ade put it away I was screaming at the top of my voice then turned around & took out my assistant manager with a flying tackle. I was still getting up when the penalty was given. Heartbroken is an understatement, it's gona hurt for a good while.
Swifty
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Fabrestuta » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 am

Nice write up man.

and on a different note, a Swifty sighting? :shock:
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rvtheace » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:01 pm

We've had too many great reviews for terrible matches over the last few weeks.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:08 pm

rvtheace wrote:We've had too many great reviews for terrible matches over the last few weeks.

So true, but look on the bright side, at least we are not a Derby forum.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Swifty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:59 pm

rvtheace wrote:We've had too many great reviews for terrible matches over the last few weeks.

I wouldn't say that it was a terrible match, far from it. I thought it was a fantastic game from any perspective, marred only by some suspect refereeing & the Liverpool goals which followed. Otherwise it would have been perfect.
Swifty
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby SE13 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:07 pm

Swifty wrote:I wouldn't say that it was a terrible match, far from it. I thought it was a fantastic game from any perspective, marred only by some suspect refereeing & the Liverpool goals which followed. Otherwise it would have been perfect.

Well said! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rvtheace » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 am

Swifty wrote:

I wouldn't say that it was a terrible match, far from it. I thought it was a fantastic game from any perspective, marred only by some suspect refereeing & the Liverpool goals which followed. Otherwise it would have been perfect.

Yes, but it's just so much worse that great play from our side ended up producing nothing thanks to the referee. That's why I want to see more technology being used in decision making, so that we can allow the players to determine the fate of the game, not referees!
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to Match Reports 07/08