Arsenal 1-1 Middlesbrough

Arsenal 1-1 Middlesbrough

Postby SE13 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:06 pm

A late strike from Kolo Toure spared the blushes of Arsenal, and kept alight their ever fading chances of Premiership glory. Manchester United have since won their game in hand, and stand proudly three points clear of The Gunners, who at one time had quite an extensive lead at the summit themselves.

In time honoured tradition, a former Arsenal player scored the opener, Jeremie Aliadiere calmly slotting home from what appeared at first to be a suspiciously offside position. Offside had already reared it's head, as Adebayor had a goal ruled out from what seemed to be a back pass. The replays suggest that that particular goal should have stood.

So a goal denied, and a goal down, Arsenal were up against an eleven man wall. Arsenal simply dominated the game, but were broken down time and again by a stout Boro defence who were in no hurry to surrender their lead.

Just as the supporters were giving up all hope of rescuing anything from the game, Kolo Toure powered an equaliser from a Cesc Fabregas corner. Still Arsenal poured forward, and such was the sheer desperation of the Middlesbrough defence, Mido was shown a red card for a high challenge on unrushing defender Gael Clichy, which resulted in a head gash needing stitches.

Arsene Wenger had thrown the young Theo Walcott on, and he plus Bendtner had late efforts cleared from close quarters. Middlesbrough hung on and claimed a point.

So a fourth successive Premiership draw, and although Arsenal have a point in the bag, the commanding lead has now dwindled to a three point deficit, with still Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United to play.

Another not so great day at the office, and another one of those games where Arsenal really could and should have run up a cricket score. You get the feeling that one day, sometime soon, some team or another are going to get a thorough spanking. It is really a question of how soon...... Isn't it?

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Return to Match Reports 07/08