Wigan 0-0 Arsenal

Wigan 0-0 Arsenal

Postby SE13 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:40 pm

Arsenal pull two points clear at the top of The Premiership after a dour goalless draw away at The JJB. Billed as the return of Robin Van Persie, and a guaranteed three points, Arsenal made heavy weather of the game on what can only be described as a rugby pitch, simply because that is exactly what it is.

Manchester United have now a game in hand to claw back the lead at the top, and in fairness, Arsenal have only themselves to blame. Squandered chances, misplaces passes and out of sorts finishing cost The Gunners dearly.

Arsene Wenger fielded a strong side, reverting back to the 4-4-2 with Adebayor and Bendtner up front. Indeed, Arsenal exploded off the blocks with Adebayor being denied by Chris Kirkland with barely a minute on the clock. Further moves, including some great link up play between Bendtner and Adebayor all came to nothing. Bendtner saw a thirty yarder deflected wide with Clichy also trying his luck from long range to no avail.

The Gunners had the better of the first half, without a goal to their credit. As the game wore on, Wigan began to take the initiative, and created quite a number of chances of their own, although Almunia was rarely troubled.

The long awaited return of Robin Van Persie was greeted to huge applause, 25 minutes into the second half. Arsene Wenger had stated that Van Persie would be a touch rusty, and so it proved to be. A couple of neat touches, a couple of decent threaded passes, but certainly not the golden boot in front of goal. The first effort, a free kick that troubled the supporters in the top of the stand, and another effort from open play after a clever move saw a shot high, wide and handsome.

Two points dropped at a crucial stage in the season, with some very tough games ahead, most notably Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea. Wenger must rally the troops, and instill some new belief, because on the strength of today, we could well be watching a side, once cruising to glory, having to settle for second, or worse still, third place.

For more reports, updates and general news, see The GoonersWorld Blog

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Return to Match Reports 07/08