Arsenal 1-1 Spurs

Arsenal 1-1 Spurs

Postby SE13 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:35 am

Arsenal kept up their remarkable unbeaten run against the old enemy as the reserves equalised late on to ensure a share of the spoils in the first leg of The Carling Cup Semi-Final.

In a game largely dominated by Spurs, failure to convert chances cost them, as Theo Walcott popped up with a 78th minute equaliser, in a performance we are not used to seeing recently.

Spurs took the early initiative with Jermaine Jenas eventually scoring to highlight the dominance of the visitors on 37 minutes. Having earlier hit the post, Spurs also forced a couple of decent saves from Fabianski during a spell in which a host of chances were wasted. I think it would be fair to say that the break came as something of a relief to Arsenal, but allowed Wenger to ring the changes.

Robin Van Persie, a surprise starter was replaced by an in form Eduardo. It later turned out that a recurrence of an injury to Van Persie had been the real reason for the change, and this injury has set the attacker back for another four weeks. Sagna also came on, and although Spurs seized the early initiative, Arsenal looked a far more formidable outfit after the substitutions.

The equaliser, when it came, was perhaps somewhat fortuitous, with Theo Walcott on the end of a slide rule pass from Eduardo. The ball appeared to spin off a defender and into the chest of the onrushing Walcott, wrong footing the keeper before nestling into the back of the net. Cue the eruptions from the supporters, and the silence of the travelling followers.

I would say that 1-1 is a fair reflection of the game, and with a further ninety minutes to come up in N17, Arsenal still have every chance of making the short trip to Wembley for the final in February.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Arsenal 1-1 Spurs

Postby Cheese » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:43 am

Nice report, it summed up the game perfectly.

I had forgotten about match reports :emb:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:20 am

SE13 wrote:I would say that 1-1 is a fair reflection of the game.

I don't know.... some would say we were lucky bastards to get away with that! ;) :9:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Younggooner08 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:25 am

Inchpractice wrote:
SE13 wrote:I would say that 1-1 is a fair reflection of the game.

I don't know.... some would say we were lucky bastards to get away with that! ;) :9:

I would say with the respective players on the pitch it was a fair result
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Good report mate. I would say that if anyone should have won it then it was Spurs but if a full strength Spurs team cannot beat us when we are playing that badly then there is no way they deserved it and it was a fair result.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Match Reports 07/08