Portsmouth 0-0 Arsenal

Portsmouth 0-0 Arsenal

Postby rodney » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:11 pm

I am so furious with that result, as although we weren't at our best today we had two great chances at the end that should not have been missed. I thought Wenger got it completely wrong today and a large part of today's result should be placed at his feet. We should have gone 4-4-2 with Bendtner given a start up front, especially after the goal against the yids. Even though throughout the game the formation just wasn't working, as it was clear for all to see it was far too crowded in the middle of the pitch due to Pompey playing five in midfield as well. It took him until the 79th minute to bring Bendtner on and he made more of an impact in 11 minutes than Ade in 79 minutes.

The first half was very uneventful. Pompey had a couple of efforts from Kranjcar and Benjani I think it was, but nothing that really troubled us. They lined up too be hard to break down and strong in the centre with Muntari and Diop. Kanu was proving a handful up front and credit to him he held the ball up well and Ade could learn a thing or too from him. He created space superbly for himself and was very calm and composed on the ball. However, Pompey didn't look to support him enough and will come away from this match far happier with the point than us. Rosicky had a good chance and I really wish he would shoot more. For the Czech's he has scored some cracking goals and just doesn't seem to shoot from distance enough. I thought that the game was there for the taking in the second half and although Pompey had the ability to create a chance, we should have gone onto win this.

The second half reminded me of so many away performances over the last couple of years and it annoyed me off no end. I don't know why footballers do it sometimes. You're paid god knows how much money and you can't pass a ball 10 yards. It is bloody shocking that a professional footballer can screw up his passing so many times during one game. There isn't a complaint about one single player, but the team in general. The worst of the lot was Kolo Toure (I know I've just contradicted myself, but he was the stand out awful passer). What annoys me off about Kolo is that he gives the ball away so many times by lumping the ball up field to Ade. No one else in the team does this and it's a tactic that Chelsea use with Drogba. You have Cesc Fabregas, Rosicky, Hleb, Sagna and Clichy who can all run with the ball, or pass it just give it to them. Wenger, or even Gallas needs to have a word with him as it just can't continue.

Pompey had a really good chance after some shocking decision making from Clichy, who tried to play Benjani offside instead of following him. Almunia did well to put him off and Clichy got back to complete the job, but it could so easily have been different had it been someone with better composure in front of goal. That was the best it got from Pompey and we from there took the game to them. Rosicky came close with a shot at the near post, but he should have cut in on his right foot. Then Gallas had a great chance, but as he controlled the ball his feet went and he sliced the ball agonisingsly over. Had he not slipped I am sure it would have been in the back of the net and I thought that was our best chance gone. I was wrong though as Rosicky had an even better one. Bendtner created something out of nothing by running at the Pompey defence, he played the ball accross and Rosicky put a wonderful chance wide. It was the sort of chance that Ronaldo for United, fatty for Chelsea and Gerrard for Liverpool would have scored. It would have sent us back to the top of the league and I am so disappointed that Rosicky didn't put it in.

Will also add that Ade was absolutely shocking today. I again feel that Wenger's tactics really didn't help in, but that is no excuse for shit control of the ball and ridiculous passing. When he goes out to the left and leaves us with no one in the middle he has to do more with the ball. The problem is he is not Thierry, he can't take 2-3 men on and find the bottom corner. When we're playing one up front he needs to stay in the middle and only go out wide on the left when we've got a second striker on, as Hleb isn't going to get into the box.

We've lost top spot and now have a very difficult game against Everton on Saturday which is now a must win. We need to win that game badly and we need Robin back it's worth the risk and maybe give players like Diarra and Bendtner a game as well to freshen things up. Wenger has to go back to 4-4-2 and we've got to take the game to Everton as they've been in brilliant form. A bad day as although the other top 4 have all slipped up at Pompey we should have won today.

Hope you all enjoyed the report and I couldn't think of a funny thing to add to the thread title, how you guys come up with them I don't know :lol:
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Re: Portsmouth 0-0 Arsenal

Postby Fordy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:19 pm

Nice one mate bad game good report
Fordy

Postby Trina » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:20 pm

Great report Rodney.

I won't go too much into todays game because I am so gutted. The passing and control were shocking.

I'm dreading Everton in all honesty because all I can see is the same formation and same squad out.

Why Bendtner isn't getting started is beyond me.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Portsmouth 0-0 Arsenal

Postby SE13 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:14 am

Great report, however I am still too annoyed to comment about the game.

BENDTNER is all I have to say..... Oh, and three numbers. 4, 4 and 2. :mad:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Younggooner08 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:18 pm

Can i just ade Eduardo to that last comment :D
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cheese » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:53 pm

good report Rodney
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:15 pm

Great report Rodney, written in the right tone.

You are right about Toure, he is having a stiff patch (which is hard to say as he is my favourite player in the world) at the moment. His passing was atrocious and he has recently been a bit rusty with his penalty give away against Spurs and i can remember other unusually mistimed challenges in the last month. He is still class even off form though so i am not too worried.

One thing to remember is that when Eboue leaves for the African nations then Hleb will have to play right wing (walcott is never fit) meaning Bendtner may come in by default.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rvtheace » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:09 pm

Thanks for joining the match report club, though you have been doing the same in the Live Chat section. Great one!

I can understand why this was the angriest report of the season so far. It was a game we really should have won, but failed to do so due to dodgy tactics and low quality play. And what's worse, we lost top spot!

The only minor good sign was that Rosicky seemed to have a greater desire to score. He keeps buying tickets like he did against Pompey, and we will hit the jackpot more often, IMHO.

Like everyone else said, we MUST go 4-4-2. What makes it all the more appalling is that we have two good strikers waiting on the bench when they could easily be winning us matches. Starting with Ade and Bendtner seems like a good ploy. Bring on Dudu a bit later into the match.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to Match Reports 07/08