Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal | Premiership Contenders?

Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal | Premiership Contenders?

Postby SE13 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:55 pm

Arsenal travelled to Anfield for the first of their meetings against the so called "big four", and emerged with a hard fought and well earned point. Who would have thought it after Steven Gerrard smashed in an early free kick in the opening minutes. Arsenal went into the match very buoyant and extremely confident, but here was the first test. One goal behind against a Liverpool team tipped by everyone to be up there and challenging this season.

What followed was a true example of grit and determination from Arsenal. We had a huge unbeaten run stretching some 23 games, and surely this was not the time to allow the run to cease? What did happen was that the 12 game winning streak came to an end, but the unbeaten run continued, and Arsenal marched confidently back to head the table, with a game in hand over the next challengers.

Cesc Fabregas scored another goal in his exhilarating season with around ten minutes left, which more than made ammends for an earlier miss as a shot cannoned back off the post. Bendtner also missed a glorious opportunity from a shot rebounding off the post, as Arsenal pushed onwards, and possibly could or should have taken all the spoils. As it was, a point away at one of our main rivals must show that Arsenal are a determined, organised and very ambitious outfit, and will not rest until that Premiership Title graces Ashburton Grove for the first time.

Arsene Wenger wrote:We were disappointed not to have won at Anfield on Sunday, but I was very pleased with the attitude and performance of the team. The players are frustrated that they didn't take all three points, but you have to be realistic.

People said it was our first big test of the season and I feel we came out of it stronger. We played without the handbrake on, without any restrictions and we were faithful to the game we wanted to play even after we conceded the first goal.

We showed our technical quality and movement and overall we handled the game very well. I cannot fault anyone, it was a fantastic game.

We have another big game on Saturday when Manchester United visit Emirates Stadium. It is another big test but we will be much stronger for our performance at Anfield.

As far as the title is concerned I have always been very confident of what we could achieve this season. I said we could do well before the season started and now we have convinced a few more people.

There is a long way to go, but we have the talent to fight right at the top for the Premier League.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal | Premiership Contenders?

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:21 pm

I recorded this game like all the rest and it still gives me chill when cesc scored and went over to our fans and celebrated, and seeing our fans there going crazy.

Good job on the report.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rvtheace » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:32 am

Nice one mate! It's a good thing Nic missed, or else we'd have to be arguing with all manners of opponents about our 'offside goal'.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:58 am

Nice report mate i know you had to throw it together in short notice :cool: I'm happy with the point after all last season we lost 4-1 in the league so a improvement :lol: ;)
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:17 pm

I think it's a sign of how far this team has developed, that we can feel a little disappointed with a point at Anfield.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 pm

Libertine wrote:I think it's a sign of how far this team has developed, that we can feel a little disappointed with a point at Anfield.

Never a truer word spoken!

And to be fair, if we don't get a maximum at the weekend, we will also feel disappointed. Real progression!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Return to Match Reports 07/08