Arsenal 2 Newcastle 0 - Arsene's Kids Prove Him Right

Arsenal 2 Newcastle 0 - Arsene's Kids Prove Him Right

Postby Cheese » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:38 am

Arsenal v Newcastle Carling Cup 3rd Round

It was seven months ago we witnessed Arsenal’s young guns give multi-million pounds Chelsea a good run for there money, unfortunately having been the better team for the best part of 75 minutes to lose 2-1 to a 84th minute goal by Drogba.

So we was drawn against a Newcastle side desperate for silverware having not won any since 1969, a Newcastle side with a new manager (Sam Allardyce) who has masterminded wins against Arsenal in his days at Bolton, when I saw the draw made I remember thinking s**t because this was a competition Newcastle fans believed they could win this year and I knew Newcastle would be well up for the game.

Newcastle brought down a near fall strength squad for this game showing how the Arsenal youngsters are not taken for granted anymore, Arsenal’s line up gave our new Polish Goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski 22 his debut for Arsenal and also saw new Signing Lassana Diarra 22 and Nicklas Bendtner 19 start for the first time.

The Grove was a sell out with an attendance of 60,000 plus and a great game was put on show by the young Guns, the first half saw a great save from Fabianski to deny Martins from 6 yards out, Arsenal first chance came from a Walcott corner which found the head of Eduardo only for it to go towards the opposite corner flag Bendtner managed to keep it in and passed short to Eboue who crossed the ball in only for Eduardo to slide in at the far post and hit the side netting, Senderos had a nightmare in the first half letting the ball bounce over his head on occasions and also letting Martins through on goal.
Arsenal pressed for that first goal with a long range shot from Eboue only to force a save from the Newcastle goalkeeper, Walcott had a shoot from just outside the box which went just wide of the post, so at half time Arsenal had dominated but the best chance of the half was the Martins header early on.

At the start of the second half Arsenal came out and within minutes had a good chance when Bendtner charged into the area to cut the ball back to Eboue who forced another save from Given who pushed it out for a corner, a succession of chances followed for Arsenal as Walcott had a close effort beaten away and out for a corner, from the resulting corner Eduardo had his header cleared of the line by N’Zogbia and out for our third consecutive corner in a row.
Arsenal’s passing was looking good throughout the second half as we continued to press for a goal, Diarra and Denilson in the centre of midfield was bossing the game while both fullbacks Traore and Hoyte was causing trouble down the flanks, Walcott came close when a deflected cross which forced Given to react quickly and tip the ball over the crossbar.

Finally on the 83 minute came Arsenal’s reward with a lovely placed header but Bendtner form an inch perfect cross, the move started when Senderos passed the ball forward towards Diaby who had replaced Eboue on the 64 minute, he then when went passed two Newcastle players and passed short to Eduardo who took two touches looked up and saw Traore running down the left wing it was an good pass into the feet on Traore who put in the inch perfect cross onto the head of Bendtner to put us up one nil and send the Arsenal fans into wild celebrations which I haven’t seen since, we Derby on Saturday actually.

Bendtner celebrated the well deserved goal as all the Arsenal players went up to congratulate him, moments later “one nil to the Arsenal” was being sung out around the ground.

Minutes later Arsenal fell asleep letting a pass to Martins in which he got behind the defence and run towards goal Fabianski was quick out but Martins went round the Polish keeper and rolled the ball towards goal but the captain and Arsenal most senior player of the night managed to get back and clear of the line, it looked like Fabianski did enough to put Martins off as the shoot was weak and had no real pace on it, Senderos’s clearance went strait to Martins who looked like he was running towards the Newcastle fans to celebrate, he controlled the ball and once again Fabianski flung himself to block Martins shot which was saved and cleared safely.

So after going a goal up then nearly concede strait after you would think Arsenal would hold the ball and pass it around to waste time but oh no not Arsenal as soon as we got the ball we went for the second, this made it a nervous 5 minutes for the gunners fans as on the 89 minute Martins picked up the ball and ran towards goal luckily was well tackled by Diarra who put in a ‘man of the match performance’ he then passed to Denilson who took it passed the half way line he then passed to the on rushing Diaby on the left hand side, Diaby went past the Newcastle full back and instead of taking it to the corner flag went towards goal he got to the by line and twists inside Taylor then passes the ball back to Denilson who found space on the edge of the box Denilson positioned himself well and with his right foot berried the ball into the top right hand corner giving Shay Given no chance what so ever.

Well deserved goals for both youngsters and a well deserved win for a performance in which Sam Allardyce said was “great” and that his own team couldn’t match our quality. A fantastic performance all round even Senderos made up for earlier mistakes, man of the match for me was Diarra it was a hard choice with everyone playing so well and I was tempted to pick one of the goal scores but for me Diarra bossed the game well and I though put in a tremendous amount of hard work throughout the night.

This side just proves that it’s not how much you spend it’s who you spend money on. No wonder Arsene has a smile on his face at the moment he is working with the greatest young talent around and is most likely going to build a team capable of being better than the teams he has built in the past seasons.

So with Arsenal fans spirits high we travel to West Ham at the week end full of confidence that this time next week we will still be top of the league, also on Saturday we find out who we get in the next round and after a performance tonight we are ready for anybody.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Real good work here buddy.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CLS » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:12 pm

GREAT POST 8)
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:13 pm

Lovely write-up ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:56 pm

Great stuff 1886 :trophy:

I missed this match completely so this is just what i needed. I am chuffed that Diarra played well and that Fabianski kept a clean sheet.

I am a bit worried about Senderos though, he does know he is wearing Tony Adams number? and that it is not to be abused!
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby REG » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:05 pm

Goody mate
You seem to off fitted in well & i haven't seen you on the gooner lol
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rvtheace » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:07 pm

Cracker! Not getting telecast is not so bad, there's always a Gooner around to write something like this. :arsenal:
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to Match Reports 07/08