Francis Coquelin

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Francis Coquelin

Postby Callum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Perhaps he's the man to hold down that defensive midfield position for us in the long-term. He's already ahead of Flamini in the pecking order and if he keeps up his form I struggle to see how Arteta is going to usurp him.

If he continues to display the same sort of discipline and awareness he showed yesterday then I'm all for giving him a new contract. I was so surprised at how well he did against City - I knew he could tackle and offer a physical presence but never expected a display of such maturity and understanding.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Re: Coquelin is doing a Flamini isnt he?

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Funny thing is though he was about this good when we put him on loan.

I remember he was bombing up and down midfield trying to terrorize the opposition, people were saying he played like a box to box at the time.

I think he's matured a bit and know's his job is CDM but he always had this snappy demeanor which is why I liked him the first time, back then it was between him and Frimpong and I always said Coq was the better of the two.

He's ready to take over from Flam and Art but I think we should still make that buy and have that position covered properly.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Callum wrote:Perhaps he's the man to hold down that defensive midfield position for us in the long-term. He's already ahead of Flamini in the pecking order and if he keeps up his form I struggle to see how Arteta is going to usurp him.

If he continues to display the same sort of discipline and awareness he showed yesterday then I'm all for giving him a new contract. I was so surprised at how well he did against City - I knew he could tackle and offer a physical presence but never expected a display of such maturity and understanding.

It really helped that we kept shape for that first half, so that he wasnt having to cover acres of space on his own on the counter. The energy we showed as a team was amazing.

Having said that, there are so many times where you see the ball break and the simplest thing as him having the legs to get there first, or make the challenge, when you know Arteta would be clogging in someones wake or Flamini would drop another tactical foul.

He can respond to danger quickly, which is exactly what weve always needed. Add to that the fact that he can tackle like a champ and isnt afraid to get hurt is just a massive bonus.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:43 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Funny thing is though he was about this good when we put him on loan.

I remember he was bombing up and down midfield trying to terrorize the opposition, people were saying he played like a box to box at the time.

I think he's matured a bit and know's his job is CDM but he always had this snappy demeanor which is why I liked him the first time, back then it was between him and Frimpong and I always said Coq was the better of the two.

He's ready to take over from Flam and Art but I think we should still make that buy and have that position covered properly.

Yup, hes always been a tough tackler.

Now, he seems a bit better tactically, he looks stronger and just plain more sure of himself. That he felt fine to rip into people as an equal instead of not want to say anything to others because he was a boy is a huge difference.

Atm, he just looks so assured. There were even a few times where i thought he was going t to play himself into trouble, but he took the safe option and killed the danger.

Really looking forward to watching him play more.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:21 pm

Tbh I dunno what happened to Frimpong, he wasn't shit at all but now he even got released by Barnsley..his attitude is shit.

I know people gonna go 'he was f***ing terrible' blah blah but he really wasn't. Looked like he could've been lower-mid prem level with the right attitude anyway.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:04 pm

I've just written a few words about Le Coq on my blog;

https://callumjp92.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/the-forgotten-man-makes-his-mark-2/

Any feedback is welcome.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Yeah boy! Good read. Why don't you ask Trina to setup a thread and post when you finished a piece?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:19 pm

Zedie wrote:Yeah boy! Good read. Why don't you ask Trina to setup a thread and post when you finished a piece?

Could do, had never thought to ask tbh.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Mesüt wrote:Tbh I dunno what happened to Frimpong, he wasn't shit at all but now he even got released by Barnsley..his attitude is shit.

I know people gonna go 'he was f***ing terrible' blah blah but he really wasn't. Looked like he could've been lower-mid prem level with the right attitude anyway.

Injuries and a shit attitude can ruin the career of a young player.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby friedslice » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:02 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
Cripps wrote:Coquelins performance if taken individually was probably better than any of those other players mentioned.

But they have done it consistently over a period of time. That's coqs next step.

True.

That's exactly my reply.

I've said he did good, and that's good against City so that's no dismiss of his performance, its really good and I'm happy for him, I was backing him before he got loaned for your information.

But if this is going to be our DM instead of a signing I want to see him do this consistently like Matic does, like Schinederlin does ....... then I'll start getting excited, not off one game.

Happy yes, going to OTT like he's the next coming of Gilberto Silva no like most AFC fans tend to do then no, you get carried away.

Remember Wilshere's game during the Barca match? great right? has he done that since?
Gervhino vs Southampton, did he do that since?

Lets get back to praising players like their legends ............ once they actually are legends, is all I'm saying.

"what's he done since" well apart from being injured most of 2 years when hes strung games together he's looked one of our best players. don't get your wilshere hate. wilsheres class, you wait and see (if he can stay fit).

do you watch all arsenal games? or just our big ones?
coquelin been one of our best players on each individual match the past 3-4 games. he started slowly and is getting better. he's put in his best shift to date against the reigning champions away from home. i'd sooner arsenal fans get excited and back a player than be of the negative 'everything is so shit being a gooner whinge moan waah' mindset.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby friedslice » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 am

Callum wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Tbh I dunno what happened to Frimpong, he wasn't shit at all but now he even got released by Barnsley..his attitude is shit.

Injuries and a shit attitude can ruin the career of a young player.

his careers not ruined by any shot.

you lot just forget he was one of our best performing players, as well as for england, in his dozen or so games before this new injury. :dontknow:
he'd leapfrogged ramsey again before another f***ing injury
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Est83 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:10 am

He was a standout player at the Emirates cup before an injury... then came back to form on loan for Wolves, played so well he became a fan favourite and had his own song by his third game.

Great potential in spats, but if you let the hype get to your head at that age then you probably don't have then work ethic to come back from multiple serious injuries. I don't think he'll ever be a top player, certainly could have been though.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Zenith » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:17 am

Francis Coquelin to be handed new contract by Arsenal, with midfielder a free agent in the summer

Arsenal midfielder Francis Coquelin, a free agent in the summer, will be offered a deal by the club after his impact following his return last month from a loan spell in the Championship at Charlton Athletic.

The Frenchman, 23, would be able to negotiate with clubs outside the Premier League this month given his impending free-agent status but Arsenal are determined to keep him.

He was particularly impressive in the 2-0 win away at Manchester City on Sunday, his eighth appearance for Arsenal since he returned from Charlton.

He spent last season on loan in the Bundesliga with Freiburg and prior to last month his previous appearance for Arsenal had come in April 2013 against West Bromwich Albion.

His change in physique over the intervening time has been notable and his manager, Arsène Wenger, was again full of praise for the player on Sunday. Coquelin was loaned by Arsenal to Lorient for the 2010-11 season.

Wenger said: “I took him at the age of 16 from France. He has gone through some difficult periods but he has learnt from his experiences.

“I always kept faith in him and told him three months ago he needed to play. He accepted going to Charlton, he came back and has done very well.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 89056.html
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:46 am

Sign him up immediately.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby arsebandit » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:46 am

Christ I hope not.
Flamini should never have been allowed to leave...
Am relying on wenger to offer him a decent contract, when I think of the countless jumblys he has given MAHOOSIVE money to.
Surely Coq is worth a good chunk...
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to World Football