'All or Nothing' documentary

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 'All or Nothing' documentary

Postby Ach » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:31 pm

One has nothing to do with the other
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:44 pm

themessiah wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Just finished the 5th.

Still think the whole Auba situation was handled poorly over what still seems to be just a bit of tardiness.

Could Mikel have bit the bullet, got Auba back on side and then offload him at the end of the season ?

Barca paid 40million for Lewandoski. To see the club celebrating giving away a player of similar stature for free to the same club (that we paid £60million for) was odd.

Just Finished episode 5 as well. Tbf Arteta should become a motivational speaker because that's all he does in the documentary. He's tactically inept. In Scum and City's All or Nothing, the both managers were actually giving out tactics not drawing like a 5 year old on a white chart to motivate the team.

Thank you.

Like literally I'm trying to be a bit more Pro Arteta simply because the new season has started, but deep down if I'm honest, there is almost nothing I like about him as a manager.

I think he's babied the squad with all this "Feelings" BS, he's not teaching them to mature and be men, he's teaching them to need therapy by the time their 25.

This is why he is struggling to manage the senior players and needs youngsters who'll follow his lead just for the chance to play for Arsenal.

Its also why the squad seem to be relishing the new signings like Zincheko and Jesus, because they bring a mature winning mentality to the club, I can see it in some of their faces in the documentary they are sick of hearing his BS .......... In my industry I've had managers just like him, micro managing cnts and I left jobs because of it so watching this ..... they have my sympathy.

Honestly, I could just imagine Klopp would turn Saka into a WC player.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:51 pm

I'll get on it this evening with a few ice cold ciders .......
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:45 pm

Just watched episode 4. Doesn't really tell you much that we don't already know about Auba situation. Thought there'd be more too it tbh
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby TedLasso » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:13 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Just watched episode 4. Doesn't really tell you much that we don't already know about Auba situation. Thought there'd be more too it tbh

Episode 5 has a little more but overall you're right, its mostly stuff we already knew from reporting at the time.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:45 pm

Still think the whole Auba situation was handled poorly over what still seems to be just a bit of tardiness.

Could Mikel have bit the bullet, got Auba back on side and then offload him at the end of the season ?

Barca paid 40million for Lewandoski. To see the club celebrating giving away a player of similar stature for free to the same club (that we paid £60million for) was odd.

No. Everybody at the club including Edu and Josh advised Arteta to find a solution instead of kicking out a player mid-season. But Mr Dossier would not budge.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:48 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Just watched episode 4. Doesn't really tell you much that we don't already know about Auba situation. Thought there'd be more too it tbh

I was sure there would be a big reveal of something more sinister, like maybe he was a bully in training. But no, it was because he was late lol
Last edited by Highbury Hillbilly on Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:50 pm

themessiah wrote:

Just Finished episode 5 as well. Tbf Arteta should become a motivational speaker because that's all he does in the documentary. He's tactically inept. In Scum and City's All or Nothing, the both managers were actually giving out tactics not drawing like a 5 year old on a white chart to motivate the team.

Just watching Ep 6 now. To be fair, it looks like they edit out most of the tactical stuff. We get a little more insight into the tactics from Ep 6. The cinema room where Laca was told by one of the coaches to move around in the box more and showing clips of Benzema was interesting.
But it does seem like he overlays the emotion and passion card.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:11 pm

To be fair all the planning and tactical work would have been done prior to game day. On the day it really is just getting the lads to execute.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:28 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

I was sure there would be a big reveal of something more sinister, like maybe he was a bully in training. It no, it was because he was late lol

We finally saw more of Edu on camera and his reaction to it was telling. That man looks stressed out and as if he's not enjoying the role. Lol. Looks like a lot of late nights and coffee. When they asked if it was easy for him to support Arteta's decision, he gave a straight and honest 'no' because Auba scores goals, is popular with the players and fans, plus captain. I would have expected a more polished and sugar coated answer by leading with 'Arsenal values' and whatever else.

I thought Edu and Richard Garlick's conversation with the lawyer was also interesting. It looks like they raised concerns to Mikel about Auba not training with the group. When the lawyer asked if the banishment could be justfised, they said Mikel had kept a 'catalogue of misdemeanours' committed by Auba. It didn't sound like they had heard about problems around the club from other sources besides Mikel.

Next ep, Edu flat out tells Richard Garlick and Vinai that Auba has to come back to the sqaud to help the team until the end of the season and that they need to talk to Mikel and Auba. They all agreed. Again, it didn't seem to me as though Auba did anything outrageous that couldn't be resolved.

I also thought it was telling when Richard Law met with Arteta and said the club will back him in his decision. That overuled any notion of Auba staying and working things out with Arteta. A decision was then made to se in January. Edu definitely has no power at the club.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Yeah I just watched the 6th episode also.

I do agree, Edu seems more of a yes man, Arteta to me seems like he has a stronger personality and would override Edu, also Arteta in his manager role was given 50/50 say on transfer target approval, that say, plus him being the one who sets up the team seems to have left Edu basically organising transfers or decisions that Arteta is requesting.

Vinai as well ......... the guy literally walks in a room asking Edu etc what to do lol, this man is in charge of our club!?
He's def simply there as a former Accountant to just watch out for Stan's money.

Was also a little concerned about our transfers set up ....... it looked like its simply Edu doing all the negotiations with no help, I can imagine other clubs have sharks in the negotiation dept and would run all over Edu, Edu to me seems like he's relying on just throwing money at the situation rather than any actual smart negotiating, we already know Arteta weighed in heavily to get Jesus and Zinchenko done using all his close old contacts at City.

As for the man himself, I actually did like his speech on "What makes a great night out" I also like the fact that he's demanding and a little ruthless.
What I don't like is the constant emotional blackmail and talking of feelings rather than just getting stuck in like professionals, also as well his tactical ability I feel is still behind the top managers.
I mean if he still believes in his 4-2-3-1 then I don't know what to say because we struggle to do much of anything well, pressure, scoring, defending, this formation doesn't stand out in any of those areas.

PS - Granit Xhaka, his highlight in I think it was episode 4 or 5, actually made me like him lol, it was funny when he was saying about his red card "Guys if I didn't foul that player who was through on goal it would of been 1-0 and then you'd of been fked". :lol:
He actually came across like a sound guy in that episode, I just think his issue is he goes OTT and is a bit rash, but I actually wish him well, especially as he's not going anywhere.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:26 pm

Just watched episode 5

Complete f**k up to just concentrate on getting Auba out when getting players in was far more important.

Star of the episode though was xhaka. He's not good enough. Never has been and at his age, probably never will be but seems like a likable chap. Spot on about his red card, we go 1 down if he doesn't bring him down

As for Arteta, usual pointless crap before games, during games and after games. A tactician he is not. And let's be honest judging by this, not a great motivator either.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:53 am

alexafc12 wrote:To be fair all the planning and tactical work would have been done prior to game day. On the day it really is just getting the lads to execute.

It's edited out. In Ep 6 you can see the positions on the whiteboard showing the formation have moved during one speech.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:57 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

I was sure there would be a big reveal of something more sinister, like maybe he was a bully in training. But no, it was because he was late lol

Just watched episode 4, things do not add up, they make no sense, someone is lying or they are a bunch of hypocrites.

1- Arteta said he was so happy with Auba when he renewed the contract. Now, if you are that happy with Auba he can't be pissing you off a lot otherwise you wouldn't be so happy.

2- Arteta made Auba captain. He keeps going on and on about the values of the club and he mentioned his non-negotiables again. If You have been having lots of issues and lateness from Auba, why would you make him captain, a position that commands respect and from a person that should reflect the values of the club ?????

3- The rumours were that Auba went to see his sick mum, now given he is club captain and given he is the best player at the club and the closest thing we had to world class, coming back a day late and then being late for training shouldn't be the straw that broke the camel's back. You are not talking about some assistant office bod or a retail salesman, you are talking about your club captain that cost £56m and one of the best players in the world. You kicked him out for being late back visiting his sick mum, thats bullshit 101.

This bollox about treating everyone the same gives a convenient excuse. Only a f***ing imbecile believes that everyone is treated the same ! Really !! So an established key first team footballer will get the same treatment/leeway as a player fresh out of the academy ? A peripheral player will get the same treatment as a first team stalwart ? Nonsense. There is a reason why the important players get treated differently ... its because they are more important than others. I have seen it at EVERY football club I have played for.

FFS - I called Virgin Media asking for an upgrade to my box and spoke to some plank in customer services that said I had to pay, I said hell no. I put in a complaint because I had been with VM for a while and pay shitloads for my services, they agreed and said they would send out an upgrade immediately. Everyone does not get treated the same way in ANY walk of life !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby TedLasso » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:34 pm

1) The timeline seemed pretty clear to me. When they renewed the contract, everything was going well. From that point on, Auba had slacked off and built up a list of minor transgressions like being late or maybe not giving effort in a drill, who knows. Considering Edu and Richard Garlick and Tim Lewis knew very little, that suggests it was mostly Auba f***ing around in training, leading to "the dossier" of misdemeanors.

2) Seems like he was made captain before the issues began cropping up, which inevitably led to stripping him of the captaincy.

3) 100000% agree with you here.

As for treating people the same, it's a nice soundbite but it's fundamentally impossible. Every leader shows biases towards the players that perform well and listen to directions over the ones that don't. Now I think Arteta was saying we have rules that apply to everyone and consequences should apply equally but you have to be a good judge to balance that. We don't want the club to be "Casa Pepe" so you have to establish a code of conduct with a strong hand and yet you can't rule with an iron fist. It's a tricky balance and Arteta isn't experienced enough to walk that line expertly.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk