Nuno Tavares (20)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Nuno Tavares (20)

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:01 pm

Him or Kolasinac for the rest of the season?

He doesn't look PL quality at all, and being yanked at HT twice now suggests Arteta will be getting rid in the summer, loan or otherwise.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:04 pm

Kolasinac is at Marseille.

Tavares doesn’t look good enough however, doesn’t look good for him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Kolasinac is at Marseille.

Jesus, can't believe I forgot ! :rofll:

We're screwed. If we'd at least kept Calum Chambers, we could have had Cedric fill the LB slot.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:40 pm

Lack of a quality squad haunting us

Who'd have thought
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:41 pm

we gave Chambers away lol.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:13 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Kolasinac is at Marseille.

Jesus, can't believe I forgot ! :rofll:

We're screwed. If we'd at least kept Calum Chambers, we could have had Cedric fill the LB slot.

Chambers or Maitland-Niles would have been handy. But I think he'll move Xhaka to left back and play Lokonga or Smith Rowe in midfield.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:34 pm

Kid was excellent at the start of the season.
Has looked shaky in his limited role since Tierney was brought back in.

Works better in a back 4 where the opposite full back tucks in when he goes forward.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:16 am

jayramfootball wrote:Kid was excellent at the start of the season.

Works better in a back 4 where the opposite full back tucks in when he goes forward.

I think the key is Tomiyasu. When he plays, Tavares or Tierney can bomb forward and we (sort of) turn into a back three. It is different with Cedric as a lfb. When Cedric plays, Tierney sits back more.
Cedric and Tavares are not really good at defending, so it will be harder for our CBs if we play them together.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:26 am

Interesting. Which league was he bought from? Maybe he’s not ready for the prem?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 am

swipe right wrote:

Interesting. Which league was he bought from? Maybe he’s not ready for the prem?

Where a player comes from is irrelevant.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:31 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:

Except when you want to discredit them I suppose.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:48 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:

Nope - I have correctly stated that many of the European leagues are crap.
That has nothing to do with SOME players from those leagues being good - when they are good they find their way to better leagues, like the PL, leaving the crap in the league they came from.

Tavares is a player who looked very good. Brilliant, in fact, in his opening few games, but made an awful mistake against Liverpool to blot his copy book (ironically after playing very well against Salah up to that point). He got dropped for Tierney and since has had a couple of very poor cameos.
He's young and I expect him to regain his confidence and contribute.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:44 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:

That has nothing to do with SOME players from those leagues being good - when they are good they find their way to better leagues, like the PL, leaving the crap in the league they came from.

Tavares is a player who looked very good. Brilliant, in fact, in his opening few games, but made an awful mistake against Liverpool to blot his copy book (ironically after playing very well against Salah up to that point). He got dropped for Tierney and since has had a couple of very poor cameos.

Yet Saliba couldn’t have been integrated into the squad? He had to be sent on a “transition” because he came from France and couldn’t even be a part of Arsenals first team let alone a starter. You see where your double standards get you in trouble?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:11 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:

Yet Saliba couldn’t have been integrated into the squad? He had to be sent on a “transition” because he came from France and couldn’t even be a part of Arsenals first team let alone a starter. You see where your double standards get you in trouble?

No I don't see any double standard. You are conflating two things.

French league is shit , but some French players can be great as we know... Not sure why you would mistakenly think those things can not both be true.
if a player is very good but comes from a country with a weak league more often than not they will leave that league.
That is what happens in France. Same with the Belgian league, or the Dutch league etc.

Saliba was not integrated because he was deemed to be not ready as a kid to be playing in the PL. Doesn't matter what you think on that score - you have no idea what the kid was like in training but at 18 yrs old and 19yrs old when he came back from the initial loan it's not surprising he wasn't deemed to be ready. It's rare to see a player that young get serious game time in the PL. Only the exceptional young talent will do that. Saliba obviously was not. We did actually see him play in the U23s a few times and we was very poor.

He needed to learn and get more experience which he is now doing. The club wanted him to go to a PL club, but Saliba chose to go back to France.

Now Saliba is playing in a weaker league and doing well. Getting game time and getting recognition.
We are yet to see whether he can make the jump to the PL.

There is absolutely nothing unusual about loaning out a teenager to get experience and game time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:56 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:

The difference is Tavares was given a chance and Saliba wasn’t. This despite Saliba coming from a stronger league. Saliba has gone on to become a fine starting center back at another club while Tavares is a flash in the pan who can’t seem to deputize for an injured full back. This has been a case of poor judgement and double standards from a manager who seems to think he’s the last word on everything despite having no accomplishments to his name.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk