Nuno Tavares (20)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Nuno Tavares (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby ag6789 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:03 pm

Don't think his attacking ability is the issue. His defensive qualities are found wanting, like anticipation, making correct decisions in tight spots, proper tackles, etc. Problem is unless these qualities are already developed during formative period , becomes difficult on the job.
There's very little room for errors in defense ( could lead to dropped points, even greater repercussions) , especially in a competitive league as PL, so opportunities are severely limited. Hopefully he can improve those skills in a relatively relaxed atmosphere.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:22 pm

Nope, he is not both footed. He is 95% left footed, he hardly does anything with his right foot.

Look at his debut game highlights for Marseille, he receives the ball almost always on his left foot, he only dribbles on his left foot, almost all of his passes and crosses are with his left foot.

Just because he is happy to use his swinger that doesnt make him 2 footed. A player that is 2 footed does everything with both feet, you struggle to know what their preferred/stronger foot is.

The 2 longish passes I saw him make with his wrong foot were both swingers, no tekkers, just a swing at the ball. Again I remind you of properly 2 footed players that do everything with both feet, Lallana, Hleb, Cazorla, and they have proper tekkers with either foot.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:07 pm

Tavares is not 95% left footed. He has stronger right foot than most and doesn't need to cut back on to his dominant foot to shoot or pass. That's the point.

https://www.paininthearsenal.com/2021/12/16/arsenal-something-quite-unique-squad/amp/

https://theathletic.com/3022614/2021/12/20/tomiyasu-and-tavares-how-two-footed-full-backs-have-taught-arsenal-new-tricks/
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby NovaGB » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:14 pm

theHotHead wrote:Nope, he is not both footed. He is 95% left footed, he hardly does anything with his right foot.

Look at his debut game highlights for Marseille, he receives the ball almost always on his left foot, he only dribbles on his left foot, almost all of his passes and crosses are with his left foot.

Just because he is happy to use his swinger that doesnt make him 2 footed. A player that is 2 footed does everything with both feet, you struggle to know what their preferred/stronger foot is.

The 2 longish passes I saw him make with his wrong foot were both swingers, no tekkers, just a swing at the ball. Again I remind you of properly 2 footed players that do everything with both feet, Lallana, Hleb, Cazorla, and they have proper tekkers with either foot.

Not gonna lie you usually speak sense but you are way off on this one, hes the most 2 footed player we had in the squad last season with Tomi a close second, its so obvious when hes dribbling on the ball, nope, don't agree with ya.

Anyway, is it worth typing this much about a minor point you don't agree with? point is the lad said he scored a banger with his weak foot and i basically said hes good with both feet, we can move on from this right? i know you like to rampage over minor points lol :rofll:

Santi was way more 2 footed than Hleb was, you could watch Santi and not even know what foot was his strongest.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:06 pm

He scores again. 2 in 2.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Losmeister » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:06 pm

he's raw af but there IS something there talent wise
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:32 pm

NovaGB wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Nope, he is not both footed. He is 95% left footed, he hardly does anything with his right foot.

Not gonna lie you usually speak sense but you are way off on this one, hes the most 2 footed player we had in the squad last season with Tomi a close second, its so obvious when hes dribbling on the ball, nope, don't agree with ya.

Anyway, is it worth typing this much about a minor point you don't agree with? point is the lad said he scored a banger with his weak foot and i basically said hes good with both feet, we can move on from this right? i know you like to rampage over minor points lol :rofll:

Santi was way more 2 footed than Hleb was, you could watch Santi and not even know what foot was his strongest.

We obviously see 2 different things cos I don't see what you see on this one. No worries, that's what makes life fun
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:46 pm

I admittedly was reluctant to the notion of him requiring a loan period away for the simple reasons of acknowledging the good attacking potential he possesses, and that with a bit of stringent education from our defensive coaches with regards to the art and principles of defending that he was clearly deficient in, those could thus be readily addressed.

The massively marked overall improvement delivered by our defenders as a collective last season, is why I still have reason to think that Jover and co could've done something similar with this fella on a one-to-one basis.

However, that obviously wasn't deemed the best or more practical way of getting him to where it is that he needs to be in order to dispel the negativity created by some of his later below par outings that highlighted him as a weak spot following on from such a bright start in the team.

That his attacking prowess was never the issue with regards to his footballing ability, I hope that like Saliba before him, this stint at Marseille also comes to act as his proving ground in stepping up to the level required for the Premier League, and make the relatively low fee charged for their purchase of Guendouzi significantly more than worthwhile in brokering a good working relationship benefiting both clubs. Maybe we should've included Reiss Nelson as well.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:06 pm

or maybe he's being groomed as a winger?
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:36 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:I admittedly was reluctant to the notion of him requiring a loan period away for the simple reasons of acknowledging the good attacking potential he possesses, and that with a bit of stringent education from our defensive coaches with regards to the art and principles of defending that he was clearly deficient in, those could thus be readily addressed.

The massively marked overall improvement delivered by our defenders as a collective last season, is why I still have reason to think that Jover and co could've done something similar with this fella on a one-to-one basis.

However, that obviously wasn't deemed the best or more practical way of getting him to where it is that he needs to be in order to dispel the negativity created by some of his later below par outings that highlighted him as a weak spot following on from such a bright start in the team.

That his attacking prowess was never the issue with regards to his footballing ability, I hope that like Saliba before him, this stint at Marseille also comes to act as his proving ground in stepping up to the level required for the Premier League, and make the relatively low fee charged for their purchase of Guendouzi significantly more than worthwhile in brokering a good working relationship benefiting both clubs. Maybe we should've included Reiss Nelson as well.

We won't ever use him as an attacking option. It's LB or nothing. Similar to the AMN situation. He could be OK as a CM, but he won't be picked to play there because there are better players in that role.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:16 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:I admittedly was reluctant to the notion of him requiring a loan period away for the simple reasons of acknowledging the good attacking potential he possesses, and that with a bit of stringent education from our defensive coaches with regards to the art and principles of defending that he was clearly deficient in, those could thus be readily addressed.

We won't ever use him as an attacking option. It's LB or nothing. Similar to the AMN situation. He could be OK as a CM, but he won't be picked to play there because there are better players in that role.

It would appear that there's been some degree of misinterpretation here, given that I wasn't for a moment suggesting that he be played anywhere other than his accustomed full back position or as a wing back, which is a fairly typical deviation to the more traditional role of a full back.

My emphasis on attack was no different to acknowledging that element as a part of a full back/wing back's game that I would equally expect to see from either Tierney, Zinchenko or Cedric. If anything, yes I am of the mind that playing as a wing back in particular is all but tailor made for him given his pace and power, and not too dissimilar to recognition of the attacking attributes that are often used to advantage their teams by the likes of Cancello, Alexander-Arnold, James, Robertson and Chilwell.

That hopefully in a year we will be in a position to adopt a tactical astuteness enabling us to go to the likes of Barcelona, Munich, Paris or Madrid and employ a back five of say Norton-Cuffy, Tomiyasu, Saliba, Magalhaes, Tavares for example, and have the adage of 'horses for courses' ring true whilst consigning the expectations of defeat to the past.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:13 am

Got to pull you up on this massively marked improvement in defending last season, 2 points I need to make. First, we conceded 48 goals last season compared to 39 the season before, so there was no improvement in defending, it was worse. Second, even if there was an improvement it wasn't down to our defensive coaches - last season we had a new GK, RB and CB, they didn't coach anyone they replaced the back line.

Its why I call Arteta a cheque-book manager because I don't see any coaching taking place anywhere.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:10 am

theHotHead wrote:

Got to pull you up on this massively marked improvement in defending last season, 2 points I need to make. First, we conceded 48 goals last season compared to 39 the season before, so there was no improvement in defending, it was worse. Second, even if there was an improvement it wasn't down to our defensive coaches - last season we had a new GK, RB and CB, they didn't coach anyone they replaced the back line.

Its why I call Arteta a cheque-book manager because I don't see any coaching taking place anywhere.

My assessment regarding the teams defensive output last year, is primarily based upon what they managed to produce both individually and as a collective via their performances.

I considered Tomiyasu's efforts at right back to be a marked improvement upon what had gone before him from Bellerin, Cedric and Maitland-Niles.

I considered White's efforts at right center half to similarly be significantly better overall than what I'd previously witnessed from Sokratis, Holding or Chambers.

It was already established that despite easily being the best of the aforementioned bad bunch, we could only see the best of what Luiz had to offer by looking in a rear view mirror. Although undoubtedly still having a couple of rough edges to his diamond, Magalhaes...need I really say anymore?

Similar to Magalhaes, it was already established that Tierney was undoubtedly good enough, with the only murmurings arising from the disappointment we couldn't give Monreal the elixir of life and youth, or Tierney the same operation as Wolverine and infuse him with Adamantium.

The issue of the injuries to Tomiyasu and Tierney in particular and to a lesser extent White, are much, much more relevant in my opinion as to why our improved defensive displays didn't bear the harvest it once promised, as opposed to crunching numbers in search of the truth as it brings to mind Disraeli's quote of 'Lies, damned lies and statistics', but to each their own.

In having eradicated many of the debilitating traits that were all the too prominent before and culminate in almost going through the entire season without conceding a goal from a corner or something like that, if this was achieved without any influence from Arteta's coaching staff then kudos to the players.

However, with Arteta and co simply drinking tea and playing on their phones all day, I myself can only come to the conclusion then that George Graham must be hiding out somewhere in London Colney and secretly coaching the defenders from behind that strange looking mobile shrubbery...although, the lack of 'OFFSIDE!' being bellowed and arms being raised in unison so as to make the queen's guard jealous, does admittedly pour cold water on that theory.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:11 pm

To be honest I agree, the numbers don't tell the whole story, I agree that defensively we were better last season, based on what my eyes saw

But I dont agree that the coaches are the reason behind it because like I said, we replaced over half of the defensive line. In fact that is most likely the reason why the numbers don't match what we saw, because we had the solid promise of a good defence, with Tomiyasu and Tierney being fit, but when they were out the drop in quality was significant. Soares, Tavares, Holding and even Xhaka at LB, they are the reason we conceded more goals and the coaching - if there was any - clearly didn't help.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:30 pm

people are ALWAYS banging on about coaching as if they jack shit about it.

AND almost always attribute too much of players failures to coaching...

known good coaches also dont ALWAYS succeed. Mou being a good example.

look at players like Osil and Sanchez... they were very good, and they they werent... cos of? coaching?
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk