Nuno Tavares (20)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Nuno Tavares (20)

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:07 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Apart from Tierney and Nuno do we have any other LB's because if not letting him go on loan is suicide.

Guy should never have been bought if that's the case.
If he goes we'll get Hickey and/or Martinez surely.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:15 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Apart from Tierney and Nuno do we have any other LB's because if not letting him go on loan is suicide.

Would be a bit weird to sell him to Villa and then re-sign him as a left back
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:37 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:

Hickey looks worse than Tavares at this point
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Hypergooner » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:40 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

Hickey looks worse than Tavares at this point

Must look crap then! I've not seen a Premier League LB look worse than Tavares did at points last season.
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby 22-0 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:17 am

Didnt seem like a professional player to me. He was all over the place... making mistakes non stop, crumbling under pressure.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:09 pm

My summary of Tavares last season was - horror show beginning, then found his footing, beast mode going forward but no end product, horror show defending. Out of the team, came back for the run-in and was a horror show.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:19 pm

theHotHead wrote:My summary of Tavares last season was - horror show beginning, then found his footing, beast mode going forward but no end product, horror show defending. Out of the team, came back for the run-in and was a horror show.

Totally lost his confidence, worse than that everyone around him lost confidence in his defending and that showed
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reiss » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:00 am

Sell sell sell.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:17 am

Yeah he could be an ok LWB in a 3-4-3 type system but even then I'm not overly sold.

I'd prefer a full replacement, Nuno was a bad buy, sick of LB's who don't know how to defend or who lose their head, we had that with Kolasinac.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby 22-0 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:37 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Yeah he could be an ok LWB in a 3-4-3 type system but even then I'm not overly sold.

I'd prefer a full replacement, Nuno was a bad buy, sick of LB's who don't know how to defend or who lose their head, we had that with Kolasinac.

22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Hypergooner » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:18 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Yeah he could be an ok LWB in a 3-4-3 type system but even then I'm not overly sold.

I rated Kolasinac when he had a run of games. He looked pretty solid at both ends
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:25 am

I think the problem now is managers want full backs that can provide attacking intent and it seems they will go for players that have suspect ability defending.

The evolution/cycle of the game? Perhaps, but call me old fashioned, I want my full backs to be able to defend properly FIRST, everything else is a bonus!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:04 am

I think Arteta wants both if the pursuit of Martinez to also cover LB is correct.

Tomyiasu and Martinez aren’t fullbacks that will bomb forward naturally. They’re more defensive. But as an alternative option we’d have Tierney and Cedric (for now) who are more attacking in their nature
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:25 am

alexafc12 wrote:I think Arteta wants both if the pursuit of Martinez to also cover LB is correct.

Tomyiasu and Martinez aren’t fullbacks that will bomb forward naturally. They’re more defensive. But as an alternative option we’d have Tierney and Cedric (for now) who are more attacking in their nature

Arteta trusts the wrong pair. He should have kept Chambers and Maitland-Niles, instead of trusting Cedric and Tavares. It is a good thing to have alternative option in different type of players, but it should not imbalance the team as a whole. We look way more shaky when Cedric and/or Tavares play.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:21 am

Whilst I can fully understand the logic of sending young developing players out on loan for a season or maybe even two if the circumstance of the first warrants it, to me, the primary objective of that action is to gain experience and game time at a higher and more professionally competitive level than is achievable playing reserves and U21's league football.

What I am failing to grasp here in regards to Tavares similarly being pointed in that direction, is that his glaring deficiency lies in his inability to defend effectively and consistently rather than a hindering lack of experience and being accustomed to playing against mature, seasoned professionals.

Unless the principles of coaching and training have now drastically changed since my involvement, and it's no longer a coaches job to identify the strengths and weaknesses to a player's game and impart ways in which to further develop and improve their qualities as well as eradicate faults and inadequacies to make them better and more functional and efficient as footballers, why aren't the issues he has being addressed by OUR coaching staff instead of effectively subcontracting the work out to someone else?
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk