Aaron Ramsdale (1)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Aaron Ramsdale (32)

Postby Alexis » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:35 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:He's brought back leadership and communication in the defense, which was the biggest void that Emi Martinez left.

He's been great at shot stopping as well, which has won us points given our terrible scoring record this season.

His distribution is also great which we should take advantage of more.
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:18 am

Especially with his expressive exuberance, he puts me in mind of Andrew 'Freddy' Flintoff quite a lot.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:48 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:08 am

Goonerred wrote:I was a bit the same. Mostly because he was with a team that was relegated, but what a signing he has proved to be so far. I have him as my MOTM every week.

At that time, most Arsenal fans including me didn't know that Sheffield signed Ramsdale from the relegated Bournemouth for £18.5M. Then he became their player of the year and got call from Southgate.
Clearly they would not sell him cheaply.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:07 pm

I hope we don't mess up and anoint this guy with the heavy crown of the captaincy. He is providing the perfect amount of leadership at the back as it is.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:04 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:I hope we don't mess up and anoint this guy with the heavy crown of the captaincy. He is providing the perfect amount of leadership at the back as it is.

Absolutely spot on methinks. This squad is going to be blessed with his natural leadership characteristics regardless of any armband and formal appointment.

My only fear would be that moves to make him skipper right now might result in curbing his natural exuberance and positive influence for a more conservative attitude, and curtail the unadulterated joy he clearly gets from just being able to do his thing for The Arsenal. Bob Paisley as Liverpool manager once said of Bruce Grobellar that he was worth 15 points a season and not just through his saves.

Ensuring a team has a good captain is one thing, but the very best teams tend to have a couple of lieutenants and sargents as well. Sargent Ramsdale has reported for duty front and center even if others have not.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby KG3 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:19 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:I hope we don't mess up and anoint this guy with the heavy crown of the captaincy. He is providing the perfect amount of leadership at the back as it is.

Goalkeepers should never be captains in my opinion they’re not really involved in the play, it needs to be a defender/midfielder ideally
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:44 pm

KG3 wrote:

Goalkeepers should never be captains in my opinion they’re not really involved in the play, it needs to be a defender/midfielder ideally

This.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:45 pm

Reiss wrote:It could be the opposite actually. They have a panoramic view of play as they are situated at the back so can see everything more clearly.

No good if they are stuck in goal and can't talk to midfielders and attackers.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Captaincy in football isn't that critical as in cricket where he/she can decide the outcome w/ critical decisions on field.
A real captain in football is the manager who instructs his players and makes critical substitutions that affects the game.
A GK can only organize the defense or instruct ones who are in close proximity. Same with a CB or CM or a forward.
They need to marshall their own area w/ utmost care or get overwhelmed by the opposition. Outside the field it is again the manager who calls the shots
So talking about multiple leaders ( leading by example) on field is more relevant than 'A Captain'.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:00 pm

No problem with the keeper being captain. The players should be able to hear him shout and gesture from the back. But to be honest, the way Mikael shouts like loon from the sidelines, I don't think that part of the captain role is that important. They can hear and see what Arteta wants to do from the touchline.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Losmeister » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:18 am

THANKS @ZENITH
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:52 pm

Ramsdale is the goat signing don’t need some nerd stats to tell me that
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Goat signing?? Thought that was Dennis Bergkamp .....
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk