Aaron Ramsdale (1)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Aaron Ramsdale (1)

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:50 am

jayramfootball wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:The wording is open to interpretation but for me it's a foul:

"An indirect free kick is awarded if a player impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made.

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

A player may not shield the ball if it is not in playing distance. For example, if a player stands in front of the goalkeeper on a corner kick, and then moves to prevent the goalkeeper getting around them, this should be called as impeding."

Absolutely no disputing this ruling and definition of what constitutes a foul, especially the last paragraph as it pertains to the Villa goal. The issue muddying the water for me, is the action of Ramsdale in his grappling with Watkins to effectively impede himself.

Put the shoe on the other foot, and I think they'd be an uproar and outpouring of conspiracy theories had that been Saliba or Magalhaes being penalised and the goal chalked off.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here… is it that if a player tries to stop another player obstructing him then the obstruction is ok?

No, that is not what I am saying at all, as that in itself in regards to this incident would constitute any physical action by Ramsdale to do so as justifying a penalty being given.

The crux of said last paragraph which is getting overlooked is that it was Ramsdale who was making all of the significant movements, not Watkins who all but stood his ground. But if you don't see that in the recordings then fair enough.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:19 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:The wording is open to interpretation but for me it's a foul:

"An indirect free kick is awarded if a player impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made.

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

A player may not shield the ball if it is not in playing distance. For example, if a player stands in front of the goalkeeper on a corner kick, and then moves to prevent the goalkeeper getting around them, this should be called as impeding."

Absolutely no disputing this ruling and definition of what constitutes a foul, especially the last paragraph as it pertains to the Villa goal. The issue muddying the water for me, is the action of Ramsdale in his grappling with Watkins to effectively impede himself.

Put the shoe on the other foot, and I think they'd be an uproar and outpouring of conspiracy theories had that been Saliba or Magalhaes being penalised and the goal chalked off.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here… is it that if a player tries to stop another player obstructing him then the obstruction is ok?

No, that is not what I am saying at all, as that in itself in regards to this incident would constitute any physical action by Ramsdale to do so as justifying a penalty being given.

The crux of said last paragraph which is getting overlooked is that it was Ramsdale who was making all of the significant movements, not Watkins who all but stood his ground. But if you don't see that in the recordings then fair enough.

Watkins didn’t just stand his ground, though.
He was pushing back on Ramsdale and also had his hands around him. I don’t think his action can be characterised as just standing there.

The absolute give away is that he made zero attempt to reach the ball. None at all. His focus was solely on obstructing the goal keeper and that action started before the corner was even kicked.

The laws of the game say pretty clearly it was a foul TBH , but it was also a defensive set up error too.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:17 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:No, that is not what I am saying at all, as that in itself in regards to this incident would constitute any physical action by Ramsdale to do so as justifying a penalty being given.

This.

Thats exactly how I saw it, the attacker was not moving and neither was he obliged to get out of the way.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:43 pm

Ramsdale was holding him as well, it was a nothing incident and never a foul either way.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby KG3 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:34 pm

As much as I love ramsdale one weakness in his game 1v1, I know they’re not easy to save, when you compare him to Leno who also has his faults, Leno excelled when it came to this and made some spectacular saves from time to time in the same situations.

I don’t really recall Ramsdale ever pulling of any incredible saves when the goal looks inevitable
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:30 pm

Don't remember Leno being particularly better at one on ones. Better shot stopper maybe but much worse on corners and kicking.

Ramsdale started off in unbelievable form. Has reverted to a rather average PL goalkeeper.

Don't think he's England's no.1 on current form.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:37 pm

Keepers always can look good behind a leaking defence having to make saves, but As said many time Ramsdale is a far better comunicator therefore the defenders work better, Ramsdale is no longer having to make multiple rescue jobs as previous seasons.
Today was one of those days everything generally goes utds way at old trafford i am sure most refs swear an oath to it
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:42 pm

Can't blame him for the goals but the aura around him has dwindled
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:07 pm

I thought he was poor on the first. Maybe being too harsh.

He went down so early and gave Antony the whole goal. Could be have come out quicker and narrowed the angle further ?

Was pretty obvious what Antony was going to do he'd already opened his body before the ball had come
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:22 pm

alexafc12 wrote:I thought he was poor on the first. Maybe being too harsh.

He went down so early and gave Antony the whole goal. Could be have come out quicker and narrowed the angle further ?

Was pretty obvious what Antony was going to do he'd already opened his body before the ball had come

1st glance is always to see if there is a covering defender if so getting as little distance between attacker and keeper is key narrowing the target area, i also thought he showed his cards far too early, but is a momentary thing make a decision and 100% commit to it
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:23 pm

Did what every keeper should do. Cover near post
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Losmeister » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:16 pm

VCC wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:I thought he was poor on the first. Maybe being too harsh.

1st glance is always to see if there is a covering defender if so getting as little distance between attacker and keeper is key narrowing the target area, i also thought he showed his cards far too early, but is a momentary thing make a decision and 100% commit to it

went a smidge too early but... tidy finish off a XG of near 1.0
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:22 am

I think most of his distributions were very good. In fact some were exceptional.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:30 am

Not sure why he’s appearing on TV in League of Their Own
Absolutely hate this.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Reiss » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:08 pm

@EduardoHagn: Aaron Ramsdale is the “most-impactful” U-25 goalkeeper in the world, according to the most recent CIES study.

Best Emirates keeper we've had :hail:
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk