Next season's Premier League objectives

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

A successful league campaign would entail...

Poll ended at Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:36 pm

Champions League qualification
72%
Finishing in Europa League places
22%
Qualifying for the Conference League
6%
As long as we're in the top-10, we're good
No votes

Total votes : 18

Re: Next season's Premier League objectives

Postby Wenger's Coat » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:39 pm

I expect us to play every game to win. I don’t expect us to win every game we play.

Realistic target given our current sorry state must be finishing in the 3rd to 6th range. Even that will require substantive improvement.

Failure to achieve 3-6 placing next season should be a sackable offence. No excuses (including any cup wins). No further chances.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Wenger's Coat wrote:I expect us to play every game to win. I don’t expect us to win every game we play.

Realistic target given our current sorry state must be finishing in the 3rd to 6th range. Even that will require substantive improvement.

Failure to achieve 3-6 placing next season should be a sackable offence. No excuses (including any cup wins). No further chances.

Fair post ^.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 am

Depends on the transfers of course but I've gone for a top 6 finish aka EL qually. I think top 4 is quite a stretch given where we are, even without European football as a distraction I just don't think this squad is good enough over 38 games and the manager hasn't covered himself in glory yet either.

Top 6 is a minimum, anything less would be atrocious. Top 4 challenge would be nice but City, Liverpool and Chelsea are already guarantees and Utd, Spurs and Leicester all seem to be better placed than us, so we need to spend to even get into the top 6 and use our weekly rest to help us.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:24 am

Emery manager 5th and almost got 4th with an inferior squad.

We do have sole quality in this squad, Martinelli, Saka, ESR, Tierney, Gabriel, Partey, Pepe, Saliba (if given a chance), Aubameyang.

Then we have some decent backups in Chambers
and Mari, Ryan, Elneny.

Add to that Azeez and Balogun who could potentially offer something and the signings we should be making and the fact we have no Europe so won’t need a big squad and we should be challenging for more than top 6.

We should be getting money for Xhaka, Bellerin, Willock (if we sell), Lacazette, Leno, Nketiah, the question is whether we waste it I guess.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 am

From your list I wouldn't include Pepe, Saliba or Aubameyang. Pepe improved towards the end of the season but you don't count those as important games so let's not count those as important goals either. Saliba we have no idea how he would fare here and Auba was trash last year.

- Utd came 2nd so I don't really expect them to drop out of the top 6, they have a stronger squad and more money than us to improve it.
- Leicester should've been in the CL but luckily for us they have a chief bottler as a manager - they are one option for us to overtake with our lesser amount of games.
- Spurs have two world class c**** in Kane and Son who drag them as best they can. If Kane leaves then I can see us overtaking them, they have been the weakest of the top 6 for 2 years running now anyway.

The other 3 I mentioned, we have absolutely no chance of catching them. Their squads blow ours away and 2 of them have top managers, the other just won the CL and is riding high. They also have money to blow us away in the transfer market (see Hakimi 56m).

I just don't see how we get top 4, to do that we have to outdo all of Utd, Leicester and Spurs...that would take some collapse from those guys or a huge transfer window from us.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:42 am

We're not getting top 4 unless we strengthen massively - which looks very unlikely
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:45 am

Santi wrote:From your list I wouldn't include Pepe, Saliba or Aubameyang. Pepe improved towards the end of the season but you don't count those as important games so let's not count those as important goals either. Saliba we have no idea how he would fare here and Auba was trash last year.

- Utd came 2nd so I don't really expect them to drop out of the top 6, they have a stronger squad and more money than us to improve it.
- Leicester should've been in the CL but luckily for us they have a chief bottler as a manager - they are one option for us to overtake with our lesser amount of games.
- Spurs have two world class c**** in Kane and Son who drag them as best they can. If Kane leaves then I can see us overtaking them, they have been the weakest of the top 6 for 2 years running now anyway.

The other 3 I mentioned, we have absolutely no chance of catching them. Their squads blow ours away and 2 of them have top managers, the other just won the CL and is riding high. They also have money to blow us away in the transfer market (see Hakimi 56m).

I just don't see how we get top 4, to do that we have to outdo all of Utd, Leicester and Spurs...that would take some collapse from those guys or a huge transfer window from us.

Fair enough, I see it like this, Pepe has been badly mismanaged, he would be dropped when he scored and could never get some form together, from what I’ve seen of him he has talent and is a genuine goal threat.

Aubameyang is proven and scored for fun before Arteta arrived, so again the system or the way the manager is handling him is the primary issue here IMO.

Saliba fair enough but he’s excelled in France again and was seen as one of the best centre backs in Europe when we signed him, again he’s been mismanaged be had he been involved this season he’d have been use to the PL by now.

City and Liverpool are better for sure, but we saw what happened with Liverpool this season, they struggled so one of the teams again.

Man U have a decent squad but a rubbish manager to be honest, I can see it going pear shaped for him this season opening up another slot in the top 4.

Chelsea, Leicester and Spurs are the lottery, think Spurs will struggle looking at the guy they want to appoint, Leicester are performing above their level considering their squad, Chelsea have a decent squad but we have to see how Tuchel does, it hasn’t all gone swimmingly for him with other clubs.

The problem is see, and it’s a big one is Arteta, I don’t think he can raise our level which is what we need as well and good signings, if you get the best out of players you can achieve a lot, I just don’t think this guy is up to the job, if we had a decent manager though I’d believe we could get into the top 4 if things went right.

As I said Emery nearly did it and should have done with what was an inferior group quality wise.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:47 am

alexafc12 wrote:We're not getting top 4 unless we strengthen massively - which looks very unlikely

A top manager and the right signings and and it’s achievable, I agree it’s not happening though as part 1 of that equation isn’t fulfilled so we’ve got no hope.

I doubt we’ll get top 6 either, but I wouldn’t be happy with just top 6 anyway with no European, that’s pretty poor, we’d need to be close to top 4 and show significant improvement all over the pitch.

I’m expecting another lousy season with terrible football though that’s why I’m not feeling optimistic, I’ve seen nothing from the current management to suggest otherwise.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:03 am

Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:From your list I wouldn't include Pepe, Saliba or Aubameyang. Pepe improved towards the end of the season but you don't count those as important games so let's not count those as important goals either. Saliba we have no idea how he would fare here and Auba was trash last year.

Fair enough, I see it like this, Pepe has been badly mismanaged, he would be dropped when he scored and could never get some form together, from what I’ve seen of him he has talent and is a genuine goal threat.

Aubameyang is proven and scored for fun before Arteta arrived, so again the system or the way the manager is handling him is the primary issue here IMO.

Saliba fair enough but he’s excelled in France again and was seen as one of the best centre backs in Europe when we signed him, again he’s been mismanaged be had he been involved this season he’d have been use to the PL by now.

City and Liverpool are better for sure, but we saw what happened with Liverpool this season, they struggled so one of the teams again.

Man U have a decent squad but a rubbish manager to be honest, I can see it going pear shaped for him this season opening up another slot in the top 4.

Chelsea, Leicester and Spurs are the lottery, think Spurs will struggle looking at the guy they want to appoint, Leicester are performing above their level considering their squad, Chelsea have a decent squad but we have to see how Tuchel does, it hasn’t all gone swimmingly for him with other clubs.

The problem is see, and it’s a big one is Arteta, I don’t think he can raise our level which is what we need as well and good signings, if you get the best out of players you can achieve a lot, I just don’t think this guy is up to the job, if we had a decent manager though I’d believe we could get into the top 4 if things went right.

As I said Emery nearly did it and should have done with what was an inferior group quality wise.

I don't fully disagree but for me we have two problems:

1) The quality of our squad
2) The quality of our manager

We are asking both of those inferiorities to combine to beat 4 other better placed teams and get us top 4? If you could tell me we can get Allegri or a world class manager then I'd have more hope. I'd take Conte in a heartbeat, but the board aren't going that way, so we have to improve point 1 enough that we can break into the top 4 and I don't see that happening either.

That's why I've gone for top 6 in the hope that we will spend a bit to improve 1 and Mikel will get his shit together more to improve 2. We won't go all out in either direction unfortunately but I do also have some hope that we can't underperform as much as last season ffs
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 am

Since I dont think we will be a succesful side anytime soon, I just want our matches and our football to be entertaining.
Last year was the year i have not bothered watching our matches the most since probably 10 years.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:05 am

bloody foreign fake fans ey ^
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:06 am

Santi wrote:bloody foreign fake fans ey ^

watching at our stock losses was more entertaining than our team last year :rofll:
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:10 am

Santi wrote:
Özim wrote:

I don't fully disagree but for me we have two problems:

1) The quality of our squad
2) The quality of our manager

We are asking both of those inferiorities to combine to beat 4 other better placed teams and get us top 4? If you could tell me we can get Allegri or a world class manager then I'd have more hope. I'd take Conte in a heartbeat, but the board aren't going that way, so we have to improve point 1 enough that we can break into the top 4 and I don't see that happening either.

That's why I've gone for top 6 in the hope that we will spend a bit to improve 1 and Mikel will get his shit together more to improve 2. We won't go all out in either direction unfortunately but I do also have some hope that we can't underperform as much as last season ffs

Essentially we agree, I don’t think we can get top 4 due to our limitations, all I’m saying is that if we replaced Arteta for a top manager and then made the right signings with the players we have we could do it, especially with less matches to play.

I know it’s not going to happen because ultimately part 1 of that equation, the manager isn’t happening, for that reason I think top 6 is the best outcome but it would require some of those teams above us to misfire like they have this season as I don’t think Arteta is capable of getting top 6 if the likes of Leicester, Spurs and Chelsea perform because he’s a very limited manager.

As you rightly said Spurs we’re dreadful and we couldn’t even get above them.

I think we forget West Ham did well this season as well, be interesting to see where they are next season, I think Leeds could progress too if they get the right players and Villa seem to be heading in the right direction too.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:19 am

Maybe we'll end up 12th :)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am

Dejan wrote:
Santi wrote:bloody foreign fake fans ey ^

watching at our stock losses was more entertaining than our team last year :rofll:

NIO TO THE MOOOOON
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk