Albert Sambi Lokonga (23)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Albert Sambi Lokonga (23)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:42 am

theHotHead wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:He plays best next to a DM, today his partner was Charlie Patino, an 18 year old attacking midfielder/playmaker. Not his fault. Put AMN there and it is a different game.

This. He looked poor because the system was poor!

His mistake for the goal was schoolboy though, can't tell me you have to pass the ball so close to an opposing player that it hits their arm which was by their side. There was margin for error ffs!!

The system was no different Hothead.
Patino was asked to do a job he isn’t ready for.

The pass by Lokonga that gave the ball away for the goal was poor, though. Definitely. Should have been a free kick to use for hand ball, but even attempting the pass was a mistake.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:13 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:He plays best next to a DM, today his partner was Charlie Patino, an 18 year old attacking midfielder/playmaker. Not his fault. Put AMN there and it is a different game.

You mean Elneny?
Either tbf but elneny is at acon, amn could have been kept for another few days

That's true. I think AMN staying a few more days is just a short term solution. I can't really say who Sambi plays better next because he's played the majority next to Partey and a couple next to Xhaka and AMN. Charlie wasn't a choice to play CM today. But since we're short on options, he'll have to really step up. There isn't a DM in the team available.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:18 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

This. He looked poor because the system was poor!

His mistake for the goal was schoolboy though, can't tell me you have to pass the ball so close to an opposing player that it hits their arm which was by their side. There was margin for error ffs!!

The system was no different Hothead.
Patino was asked to do a job he isn’t ready for.

The pass by Lokonga that gave the ball away for the goal was poor, though. Definitely. Should have been a free kick to use for hand ball, but even attempting the pass was a mistake.

Jay, hanbdball is when your hand is in an unnatural position or when you move your hand intentionally to the ball. The guy's hand was to his side and Lokonga kicked the ball onto his arm. thats not handball, in old money it would be called ball to hand not hand to ball.

Its not handball everytime the ball hits a hand.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StockGooner » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:04 pm

theHotHead wrote:Jay, hanbdball is when your hand is in an unnatural position or when you move your hand intentionally to the ball. The guy's hand was to his side and Lokonga kicked the ball onto his arm. thats not handball, in old money it would be called ball to hand not hand to ball.

Its not handball everytime the ball hits a hand.

But Jay did say it was a poor pass, he's not made an excuse for it

And sadly, old money means nothing. I thought now a ball hitting a hand was handball, simple as? Whilst I personally agree with your logic, in that handball shouldn't be as simple as that, in todays rules it is, so it should have been a free kick
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:14 pm

Taken directly from the FA's handbook:

For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.
Handling the ball
It is an offence if a player:
• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
• scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
• after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:
• scores in the opponents’ goal • creates a goal-scoring opportunity

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
• the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
• the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player
deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
• directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally
bigger
• when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to
support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

So in the case of Lokonga, the ball striking the players arm is not a handball because the guys's hands were down by his side, not in an unnatural position, they didn't make his body bigger.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby LMAO » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:34 am

LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby swipe right » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:45 am

LMAO wrote:

Solidity and leadership? They have to be taking the piss.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:22 pm

In fairness, probably the two things he ahs going for him. Xhaka's a c*** and has his brain farts but he is one of the more obvious leaders in the squad and somehow the players always seem keen on him.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby StockGooner » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:31 am

Santi wrote:In fairness, probably the two things he ahs going for him. Xhaka's a c*** and has his brain farts but he is one of the more obvious leaders in the squad and somehow the players always seem keen on him.

Exactly this

I hate him when he's bad because he is so bad. But then he has qualities that are lacking elsewhere in the squad. Think he genuinely does care about wanting to win, which sometimes papers over cracks, but sadly his bad moments are so bad I still wouldn't want to keep him
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:57 am

StockGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:In fairness, probably the two things he ahs going for him. Xhaka's a c*** and has his brain farts but he is one of the more obvious leaders in the squad and somehow the players always seem keen on him.

Exactly this

I hate him when he's bad because he is so bad. But then he has qualities that are lacking elsewhere in the squad. Think he genuinely does care about wanting to win, which sometimes papers over cracks, but sadly his bad moments are so bad I still wouldn't want to keep him

Yes, this is the fair assessment of Xhaka.
Good player with lots of plus points, but the errors have been so bad it is hard to be enthusiastic about him because we've seen time and time again he can't change.
With him, fans seem to be in a state of just waiting for his next huge error and hoping it isn't one that costs us a match.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:30 pm

I think the guy isn’t good enough at the moment, he should never have been signed as a 1st team squad player, should have been sent on loan.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:31 pm

Reiss wrote:Kompany said he's the new Yaya Toure. Is he talking about the same player?

I didn't see any Yaya Toure, but the lad were not bad tonight.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:32 pm

Played really well in the second half.
We dominated the midfield.
I think we had more control of possession than any other game this season.
Some good bursts forward too and unlucky not to score.
Looked better than Bissouma.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:42 pm

We dominated nothing, we lost 2-0.

Midfield only looked better when Xhaka came back into CM as expected.

Bissouma is three times the player Lokonga is, Lokonga is simply not ready to help us win games, massive step down from Partey.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:43 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Played really well in the second half.
We dominated the midfield.
I think we had more control of possession than any other game this season.
Some good bursts forward too and unlucky not to score.
Looked better than Bissouma.

Yeah. He's not the problem.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk