If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Postby Paddy » Tue May 25, 2021 11:01 am

i was listening to a debate about arsenal-chelsea and an interesting question popped up; if chelsea were to win their second champions league trophy on saturday, does that mean they officially overtake us as a bigger club?

most football fans agree that although chelsea have had more modern success, we are a bigger club overall due to our history. however, since we last won a premier league title they have won 5 titles and 1 champions league, so would a second champions league trophy be the final nail in the coffin?
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Re: If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Postby Ach » Tue May 25, 2021 11:14 am

Will never take them or city seriously in the biggest clubs around debate

So no
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerred » Tue May 25, 2021 11:19 am

We are so far behind these clubs that I don't care any more. :(
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 25, 2021 11:35 am

No they won't overtake us if they win the CL again. We have a larger fanbase and far more league titles for them to be bigger than us.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Tue May 25, 2021 11:45 am

Our lack of a European cup or Champions league, means we can’t be considered amongst the elite, that’s the blueprint for the elite sides these days champions league success.

We were amazing back in the late 90s and early 00s, but our failure to win the CL is a black mark again may the club.

I think Chelsea are now a very big club, people might not want to recognise it due to the money but in the football world they are huge, they have sustained success home and abroad for 15+ year now.

You can see the importance of the CL to big clubs, just look at City, they know it’s the holy grail.

I find it odd Arsenal have never chased it that much, I remember Ferguson being desperate to win it before he won his 1st, we just don’t seem to bothered, I guess it shows the level of ambition of this club really.

All the biggest clubs have won it except for PSG and Coty and us and you can see how desperate the other two are to win it, they know the significance in football terms.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Paddy » Tue May 25, 2021 12:17 pm

Özim wrote:Our lack of a European cup or Champions league, means we can’t be considered amongst the elite, that’s the blueprint for the elite sides these days champions league success.

We were amazing back in the late 90s and early 00s, but our failure to win the CL is a black mark again may the club.

I think Chelsea are now a very big club, people might not want to recognise it due to the money but in the football world they are huge, they have sustained success home and abroad for 15+ year now.

You can see the importance of the CL to big clubs, just look at City, they know it’s the holy grail.

I find it odd Arsenal have never chased it that much, I remember Ferguson being desperate to win it before he won his 1st, we just don’t seem to bothered, I guess it shows the level of ambition of this club really.

All the biggest clubs have won it except for PSG and Coty and us and you can see how desperate the other two are to win it, they know the significance in football terms.

when it comes to the truly big and historical clubs i think the champions league sets them apart. theres a reason why fergie was desperate to win a fourth european cup at utd, word is he thought getting to the coveted 4th seperates you from the rest. we on the other hand have failed to even win 1 which is shambolic.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby swipe right » Tue May 25, 2021 2:41 pm

They are the most successful English team this side of the 21st century. It’s not even a debatable question.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Whoever has the most money wins the CL mostly. Few exceptions 'Pool. So in that regard MC,Chelsea etc are bigger than the rest. So, ones who aren't happy w/our status should look elsewhere to have a good time. It is going to be a hard climb over here, sorry.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby firfi » Tue May 25, 2021 3:01 pm

ag6789 wrote:Whoever has the most money wins the CL mostly. Few exceptions 'Pool. So in that regard MC,Chelsea etc are bigger than the rest. So, ones who aren't happy w/our status should look elsewhere to have a good time. It is going to be a hard climb over here, sorry.

It's not only about money.
It's how u use them . In the last 4-5 years we can compete with them on the money front.MU are ahead of them in terms of finances in the last 7-8 years.
Both teams just use the money stupidly on the transfer market and on wages.

P.S. I don't think we can argue about the last 15 years if they're better than us. The facts are clear that they have performed better in the PL and in Europe.
Last edited by firfi on Tue May 25, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue May 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Currently they are bigger than us unfortunately
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 25, 2021 3:40 pm

Yes
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Nuggets » Tue May 25, 2021 4:31 pm

They have bought everything they won with Russian rubbles.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Callum » Tue May 25, 2021 5:16 pm

There's nothing "official" about it; all comes down to how you qualify it. There's people that'll say Nottingham Forest are a bigger club than Arsenal and many others on accounts of their two European Cups.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:25 pm

I’ve since been at a point where I don’t care what clubs like Chelsea and Manchester city do. They could win ten CLs before we even win one that’s how poorly we’ve been managed
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Paddy » Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 pm

ag6789 wrote:P.S. I don't think we can argue about the last 15 years if they're better than us. The facts are clear that they have performed better in the PL and in Europe.

the argument isnt about who has been better. thats not even a debate- its clearly been chelsea.

but will they be a bigger club than us if they win a second champions league? thats the question.

when debating a chelsea fan we can usually gloat and say 'well were bigger than you because of our history' and that usually shuts them up. but if they win their second champions league, will the balance tip?
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk