If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 26, 2021 9:05 pm

Ach wrote:I see a lot of people wearing City tops in London these days whereas 15 years ago there were barely any.

These are full grown people as well so they were either too ashamed to come out with their city tops on or more likely they changed teams.

Sure some might have moved down to London for work or whatever but doubt that's the case for every single one.

I was the first Arsenal fan in my family and from that my cousins have followed me. All blame me for the shit they go through as fans cos Arsenal are awful these days (apart from the magical past 5 months) but there's no thought on changing. Their kids when they have them will be gooners as well.

Arsenal will not die.

:clap:

Exactly, this is what I am talking about. All my nieces and nephews are Arsenal fans.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed May 26, 2021 9:07 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:I see a lot of people wearing City tops in London these days whereas 15 years ago there were barely any.

These are full grown people as well so they were either too ashamed to come out with their city tops on or more likely they changed teams.

Sure some might have moved down to London for work or whatever but doubt that's the case for every single one.

I was the first Arsenal fan in my family and from that my cousins have followed me. All blame me for the shit they go through as fans cos Arsenal are awful these days (apart from the magical past 5 months) but there's no thought on changing. Their kids when they have them will be gooners as well.

Arsenal will not die.

Exactly, this is what I am talking about. All my nieces and nephews are Arsenal fans.

Hopefully you have millions of nieces or nephews else it matters for nothing in the discussion of whether we are a big club.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 26, 2021 9:10 pm

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
swipe right wrote:The best players no longer play at Arsenal. Even when we weren’t winning, players like Cesc, RvP, Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla were the best players in their respective positions. That’s no longer the case and therefore we are no longer a big club. Size of stadium and fan base accounts for little. The latter will slowly dwindle as the next gen of fans won’t choose us.

Exactly

That is absolutely not true, if it were our fanbase would've disappeared and it hasn't, Man U's would've before Fergie got his success and Liverpool's would've been decimated before they just won the league - and it definitely hasn't.

HH - it’s a slow decline. Today’s global fans follow players. They have no interest in north London rivalries or the like. We benefited from the likes of Henry, Vieira and Bergkamp because they attracted fans from all over. Even guys like Partey and Saliba have pictures of themselves as kids in Arsenal kits. That’s going to slowly decline if we fill our ranks with mediocrity. The next gen of fans will want to go where the attractive players are.

No idea where you are getting your info from but based on the number of people I see wearing Arsenal shirts in North London daily and the fact that everyone in my family that were Arsenal fans who have had kids, who are Arsenal fans too, I don't see the decline.

I have no info. But I do have common sense. Not everyone follows a football club out of legacy or community. The majority become football fans in their teens and choose clubs that they see as successful and over time become attached to them. Only an idiot would fall in love with Arsenal at this stage. City, Chelsea, Liverpool are far more attractive options because of their style of football, marque players and hunger for trophies. Even United don’t have the same draw they once did. Of course this can all change overnight if we get our act together and start playing exciting, winning football. But that seems less and less likely with every passing year.

Who is this majority?? I don't know a single person that chose their team in their teens!!!

Where are you from Swipe Right? What country do you live in? In school in Primary school people had their clubs, we didnt go to secondary school and decide on our teams. We used to play Arsenal vs Spurs in our Primary school ffs, 7-11 years old!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed May 26, 2021 9:16 pm

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Arsenal will not die.

Hopefully you have millions of nieces or nephews else it matters for nothing in the discussion of whether we are a big club.

We are

Big club isn't determined by how many Chinese fans we get
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Wed May 26, 2021 9:27 pm

West Ham probably have more fans than Chelsea in the London area. Are we now saying they are a bigger club?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:55 pm

They are bigger than us
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat May 29, 2021 8:58 pm

:crybaby:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Sat May 29, 2021 8:59 pm

No
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Sat May 29, 2021 9:04 pm

In terms of European football you would have to say yes.
Domestic NO
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:04 pm

I am very jealous, this is what we need to be aiming for
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby Salibatelli » Sat May 29, 2021 9:07 pm

Got to hand it to Abramovic, he’s turned them into a team capable of winning all the prizes over the years, meanwhile we’ve got billionaires that keep
a manager on when he comes 8th.

I think you can see the difference between a team with an owner that demands success and another with owners with no ambition.

We employ people that when it matters fail everytime, they do come 3rd in the 2nd half of the season PL, even if they do get knocked out by former managers on the way.

#losersclub
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Sat May 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Won't give them any credit. With the money they spent since the Russian came along they should've won it at least 6 times by now.

Failure era
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat May 29, 2021 9:09 pm

Oh dear.

Tell us again how AFC are a bigger club?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 29, 2021 9:09 pm

Özim wrote:Got to hand it to Abramovic, he’s turned them into a team capable of winning all the prizes over the years, meanwhile we’ve got billionaires that keep
a manager on when he comes 8th.

I think you can see the difference between a team with an owner that demands success and another with owners with no ambition.

We employ people that when it matters fail everytime, they do come 3rd in the 2nd half of the season PL, even if they do get knocked out by former managers on the way.

#losersclub

Yeah - must be so difficult to buy success with Russian blood money.
What a hero.
:rolleyes:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sat May 29, 2021 9:10 pm

The win highlights so many mistakes we've made. Not going for Kante and opting for Xhaka instead, sticking with Arteta, not going for Tuchel and how dreadfully awful Pep ball is to watch.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk