If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Postby Salibatelli » Tue May 25, 2021 9:35 pm

I think we’re a club of also fans living on former glories, the reality is we have won a PL since 2004, that’s 17 years, we’ve never won the CL, in that time Chelsea have won several leagues and the CL.

We have won the FA cup, but it’s not as major a trophy and not what it once was either.

As a club as this point we’re a nothing club, commercially we’ve been overtaken by all of the other top clubs and because of our lack of success no one without an affiliation to us is going to start supporting us.

Who is really interested in a midtable team on a downward spiral.

The reality is all we have is past glory, glory that took place almost 2 decades ago now, so much so that after coming midtable for 2 seasons running and with no European football, some fans find optimism in some pointless run that achieved nothing which coincided with failing to achieve anything and losing the key games.

When fans see that as a good thing you know you’re no longer a big club in anything but name, acceptance of mediocrity highlights how standards have fallen and how we’re no longer one of the major players.

A big club would be sacking the manager and taking decisive action to improve things, not sticking with the same formula and following a pipe dream that we’ve got Guardiola lite in charge. No other big club would be doing so little to put things right, because in the end big clubs strive for success, they don’t settle and reward mediocrity.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Tue May 25, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 25, 2021 9:38 pm

Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:That bunch of classless chavs that are bankrolled by a crooked Russian? Bigger than us?

Lets put in a transfer for the same player ............. see who wins the signing?

Ego isn't going to change the way things are.

Chelsea are bigger than us and have been for some time quite frankly, our brand may be even slightly above them but that's off set with top 4, CL finals etc.

Again, anyone who thinks Arsenal can keep living off what another group of ex players did 20 years ago is kidding themselves.

Nobody's living off anything.

If you think they're a bigger club than us you believe that. I don't.

................ fair enough, so, how are we bigger?

As in today, in the world of football, what makes us bigger than Chelsea?

So my reason for suggesting Chelsea ......... they've won the Europa, they've won the CL, they've won the Premier league, they can attract better players, they regularly make top 4, they're in yet another CL final.

Over to you.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:25 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:That bunch of classless chavs that are bankrolled by a crooked Russian? Bigger than us?

Lets put in a transfer for the same player ............. see who wins the signing?

Chelsea are bigger than us and have been for some time quite frankly, our brand may be even slightly above them but that's off set with top 4, CL finals etc.

Again, anyone who thinks Arsenal can keep living off what another group of ex players did 20 years ago is kidding themselves.

So my reason for suggesting Chelsea ......... they've won the Europa, they've won the CL, they've won the Premier league, they can attract better players, they regularly make top 4, they're in yet another CL final.

Over to you.

Neither you nor that human snore-fest above you would understand.

I'll leave you to it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Tue May 25, 2021 10:48 pm

Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Over to you.

I'll leave you to it.

I think you’re lack of real world evidence answers the question.

Just because you say it is, doesn’t mean it is.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:59 pm

Even if Chelsea are bigger as per some of you, we still did the DOUBLE on them. So there goes!!!!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Tue May 25, 2021 11:40 pm

Ok Phil we are classier than them. Whoopty fcking whoop.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 26, 2021 12:38 am

Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Over to you.

I'll leave you to it.

So you've come up with nothing then?

That reply is the equivalent of waving a white flag.

I've been supporting Arsenal since 1986 I understand plenty.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed May 26, 2021 12:43 am

No idea what 'officially bigger' even means.
Just sounds like another way of feeding the negativity.

Chelsea over the last few years have been more successful than us - if that is the definition then, yeah, they are 'bigger'. So f***ing what?
They are still a bunch of financially cheating chavs, who we beat twice this year including one absolute spanking.

I find it utterly unbelievable that the same people who claimed to not care about finishing above Spurs are w****** themselves off about Chelsea being 'bigger' than us. So much for not caring about other clubs.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Wed May 26, 2021 1:20 am

The best players no longer play at Arsenal. Even when we weren’t winning, players like Cesc, RvP, Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla were the best players in their respective positions. That’s no longer the case and therefore we are no longer a big club. Size of stadium and fan base accounts for little. The latter will slowly dwindle as the next gen of fans won’t choose us.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed May 26, 2021 1:32 am

swipe right wrote:The best players no longer play at Arsenal. Even when we weren’t winning, players like Cesc, RvP, Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla were the best players in their respective positions. That’s no longer the case and therefore we are no longer a big club. Size of stadium and fan base accounts for little. The latter will slowly dwindle as the next gen of fans won’t choose us.

Exactly
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 26, 2021 2:36 am

firfi wrote:
aniym wrote:Who defines what's big or not? Fans? Players? Agents? Managers?

We aren't even a Europa League standard club as things stand. Chelsea has won that competition both times they've been it.

Chelsea fires managers often, but managers still go there because the club is a trophy machine. 7 in the last decade.

CL teams never take Chelsea lightly, even with their revolving door of managers. We on the other hand haven't been taken seriously since 2010 at least. FFWD 10 years and we're at the point where fearful, defensive managers like Emery sets his team up to attack us, and win.

I wouldn't go as far as 2010 , but yea its true we've been going downhill . However we're on the same financial terms pretty much with them now and its only about club management we're failing behind big time . With a bit of good management in as little as 2 years we can be back at TOP4 competing for the same type of players and titles.

I honestly don't see Chelsea challenging for the title(PL) any time soon nor do i see them purchasing players from any other top clubs.I have to think hard and look back way too many years to see when was the last time they poached a player from a big club. They just splash the cash on the smaller sides and buy smartly players. In fact i can't remember a single player after 2010 that they got and was considered a steal from a big club . There was Fabregas from Barca ,but he was past his prime and they wanted to get rid off him.

I'll also add that they got top4 by pure chance this season ,because Leicester f***ked up big time in the last few games.

If City get Harry Kane that's the PL sorted for them for another two years. But besides that, I see Chelsea as more dangerous than say, Utd. And Utd are definitely bigger in terms of global recognition and fanbase.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Paddy » Wed May 26, 2021 7:57 am

Özim wrote:I think we’re a club of also fans living on former glories, the reality is we have won a PL since 2004, that’s 17 years, we’ve never won the CL, in that time Chelsea have won several leagues and the CL.

We have won the FA cup, but it’s not as major a trophy and not what it once was either.

As a club as this point we’re a nothing club, commercially we’ve been overtaken by all of the other top clubs and because of our lack of success no one without an affiliation to us is going to start supporting us.

Who is really interested in a midtable team on a downward spiral.

The reality is all we have is past glory, glory that took place almost 2 decades ago now, so much so that after coming midtable for 2 seasons running and with no European football, some fans find optimism in some pointless run that achieved nothing which coincided with failing to achieve anything and losing the key games.

When fans see that as a good thing you know you’re no longer a big club in anything but name, acceptance of mediocrity highlights how standards have fallen and how we’re no longer one of the major players.

A big club would be sacking the manager and taking decisive action to improve things, not sticking with the same formula and following a pipe dream that we’ve got Guardiola lite in charge. No other big club would be doing so little to put things right, because in the end big clubs strive for success, they don’t settle and reward mediocrity.

spot on

when you have low IQ fans getting excited about a good spell despite the quagmire of crap we find ourselves in it shows how far we have fallen.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Santi » Wed May 26, 2021 10:07 am

No
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 26, 2021 11:21 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
swipe right wrote:The best players no longer play at Arsenal. Even when we weren’t winning, players like Cesc, RvP, Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla were the best players in their respective positions. That’s no longer the case and therefore we are no longer a big club. Size of stadium and fan base accounts for little. The latter will slowly dwindle as the next gen of fans won’t choose us.

Exactly

That is absolutely not true, if it were our fanbase would've disappeared and it hasn't, Man U's would've before Fergie got his success and Liverpool's would've been decimated before they just won the league - and it definitely hasn't.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Wed May 26, 2021 11:55 am

theHotHead wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

Exactly

That is absolutely not true, if it were our fanbase would've disappeared and it hasn't, Man U's would've before Fergie got his success and Liverpool's would've been decimated before they just won the league - and it definitely hasn't.

HH - it’s a slow decline. Today’s global fans follow players. They have no interest in north London rivalries or the like. We benefited from the likes of Henry, Vieira and Bergkamp because they attracted fans from all over. Even guys like Partey and Saliba have pictures of themselves as kids in Arsenal kits. That’s going to slowly decline if we fill our ranks with mediocrity. The next gen of fans will want to go where the attractive players are.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk