If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: If Chelsea win the CL again, are they officially bigger?

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 25, 2021 5:41 pm

Callum wrote:There's nothing "official" about it; all comes down to how you qualify it. There's people that'll say Nottingham Forest are a bigger club than Arsenal and many others on accounts of their two European Cups.

Fanbase plays a big part in determining which clubs are bigger and if Chelsea win their 2nd CL they are going to make a lot of new fans and bolster their existing support.

Impressionable primary school kids are glory hunters and we're shit, most kids nowadays will pick from City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby firfi » Tue May 25, 2021 5:43 pm

Paddy wrote:
ag6789 wrote:P.S. I don't think we can argue about the last 15 years if they're better than us. The facts are clear that they have performed better in the PL and in Europe.

the argument isnt about who has been better. thats not even a debate- its clearly been chelsea.

but will they be a bigger club than us if they win a second champions league? thats the question.

when debating a chelsea fan we can usually gloat and say 'well were bigger than you because of our history' and that usually shuts them up. but if they win their second champions league, will the balance tip?

The Chelsea fans cannot win a debate if they're bigger club than us that's ridiculous .
Even if they win second CL.

We have more fans . We have bigger Stadium .We have longer history(We have the golden Trophy).We have been a consistently outperforming them for a century. They have 15 YEARS. We are the club that's been the longest in the EPL without getting relegated no matter how hard the times have been.
EVEN when u put that how good they have been in the PL era we still have better head to head record against them.
I'd also say they're 3 to 1 outsiders in that final of the CL.

The only sad part is we have the money now and we're using them poorly and we cannot compete for CL.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby ag6789 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:07 pm

Who cares. We have been a big club for over 100 yrs, so there have been many ups and downs. At this point Chelsea and MC are doing well, so I give them the credit, but it is always cyclic in nature. Our time will come again, only sooner the better.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Paddy » Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 pm

firfi wrote:
Paddy wrote:
ag6789 wrote:P.S. I don't think we can argue about the last 15 years if they're better than us. The facts are clear that they have performed better in the PL and in Europe.

the argument isnt about who has been better. thats not even a debate- its clearly been chelsea.

but will they be a bigger club than us if they win a second champions league? thats the question.

when debating a chelsea fan we can usually gloat and say 'well were bigger than you because of our history' and that usually shuts them up. but if they win their second champions league, will the balance tip?

The Chelsea fans cannot win a debate if they're bigger club than us that's ridiculous .

We have more fans . We have bigger Stadium .We have longer history(We have the golden Trophy).We have been a consistently outperforming them for a century. They have 15 YEARS. We are the club that's been the longest in the EPL without getting relegated no matter how hard the times have been.
EVEN when u put that how good they have been in the PL era we still have better head to head record against them.

The only sad part is we have the money now and we're using them poorly and we cannot compete for CL.

i think fan base definitely plays a part. our fan base is bigger globally atm although they have a big audience in africa (and they're growing in other places- i know theyve gone on a big push to enhance their stature in america, for example). success breeds new fans and youve got to be braindead to decide to support arsenal if you have no affiliation with the club at all.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby firfi » Tue May 25, 2021 6:27 pm

Paddy wrote:
firfi wrote:
Paddy wrote:

i think fan base definitely plays a part. our fan base is bigger globally atm although they have a big audience in africa (and they're growing in other places- i know theyve gone on a big push to enhance their stature in america, for example). success breeds new fans and youve got to be braindead to decide to support arsenal if you have no affiliation with the club at all.

Only if we had that Wenger brand of football.... sadly we have Arteta ball now every game new tactics and no attack whatsoever
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 25, 2021 7:03 pm

firfi wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Whoever has the most money wins the CL mostly. Few exceptions 'Pool. So in that regard MC,Chelsea etc are bigger than the rest. So, ones who aren't happy w/our status should look elsewhere to have a good time. It is going to be a hard climb over here, sorry.

It's not only about money.
It's how u use them . In the last 4-5 years we can compete with them on the money front.MU are ahead of them in terms of finances in the last 7-8 years.
Both teams just use the money stupidly on the transfer market and on wages.

P.S. I don't think we can argue about the last 15 years if they're better than us. The facts are clear that they have performed better in the PL and in Europe.

Thats not the question, the question is would another CL win make them bigger than us. Hell no.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 25, 2021 7:19 pm

Arsenal FC:
League Champions - 13 times
League Cup winners - 2 times
FA Cup Winners - 14 times
UEFA CWC winners - 1 time
UEFA Fairs Cup - 1 time

Total - 31 major honours

Chelsea:
League Champions - 6 times
FA Cup Winners - 8 times
League Cup Winners - 5 times
UEFA CL Winners - 1 time
UEFA EL Winners - 2 times
UEFA CWC Winners - 2 times
UEFA Super Cup Winners - 1 time

Total - 25 major honours

To be honest I thought there was much more daylight between us :shock:

Their European honours puts them on a par with us as it stands ......... A Chelsea CL win would be curtains for us.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby firfi » Tue May 25, 2021 7:22 pm

theHotHead wrote:Arsenal FC:
League Champions - 13 times
League Cup winners - 2 times
FA Cup Winners - 14 times
UEFA CWC winners - 1 time
UEFA Fairs Cup - 1 time

Total - 31 major honours

Chelsea:
League Champions - 6 times
FA Cup Winners - 8 times
League Cup Winners - 5 times
UEFA CL Winners - 1 time
UEFA EL Winners - 2 times
UEFA CWC Winners - 2 times
UEFA Super Cup Winners - 1 time

Total - 25 major honours

To be honest I thought there was much more daylight between us :shock:

Their European honours puts them on a par with us as it stands ......... A Chelsea CL win would be curtains for us.

I'd argue that some Cups have bigger value than others.
For example more than twice as many PL titles almost twice as many FA cups.
The CL is really huge ofc.
But some other minor ones like Super Cup or League Cup i don't really think they have any big weight in terms of tournaments.

Then again like i said before more fans bigger stadium --> Bigger Club(We're slowly fading to be honest due to bad running of the club and not only in terms of trophies and stuff ,but also in terms of fans in Africa/America ,because as a brand Arsenal isn't developing well enough compared to other clubs esp Man united)
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:36 pm

That bunch of classless chavs that are bankrolled by a crooked Russian? Bigger than us?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 25, 2021 7:39 pm

swipe right wrote:They are the most successful English team this side of the 21st century. It’s not even a debatable question.

For once we agree.

I get why fans back AFC because who wants to admit that we're slowly turning into Spurs? however reality is what it is.

For example this transfer window, how many players could we steal from City, Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool?

We'll be like that girl who's a 3 but thinks she's a 9, goes to the dance and wonders why no one wants to dance with her.

That's depressing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 25, 2021 7:44 pm

Phil71 wrote:That bunch of classless chavs that are bankrolled by a crooked Russian? Bigger than us?

Lets put in a transfer for the same player ............. see who wins the signing?

Ego isn't going to change the way things are.

Chelsea are bigger than us and have been for some time quite frankly, our brand may be even slightly above them but that's off set with top 4, CL finals etc.

Again, anyone who thinks Arsenal can keep living off what another group of ex players did 20 years ago is kidding themselves.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 25, 2021 7:46 pm

Callum wrote:There's nothing "official" about it; all comes down to how you qualify it. There's people that'll say Nottingham Forest are a bigger club than Arsenal and many others on accounts of their two European Cups.

............... but we all know that's not true.

Same between us and Chelsea, we are bigger historically sure, but what they've done in the last 20 years has put a dent even into that.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:04 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:That bunch of classless chavs that are bankrolled by a crooked Russian? Bigger than us?

Lets put in a transfer for the same player ............. see who wins the signing?

Ego isn't going to change the way things are.

Chelsea are bigger than us and have been for some time quite frankly, our brand may be even slightly above them but that's off set with top 4, CL finals etc.

Again, anyone who thinks Arsenal can keep living off what another group of ex players did 20 years ago is kidding themselves.

Nobody's living off anything.

If you think they're a bigger club than us you believe that. I don't.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue May 25, 2021 8:11 pm

Who defines what's big or not? Fans? Players? Agents? Managers?

We aren't even a Europa League standard club as things stand. Chelsea has won that competition both times they've been it.

Chelsea fires managers often, but managers still go there because the club is a trophy machine. 7 in the last decade.

CL teams never take Chelsea lightly, even with their revolving door of managers. We on the other hand haven't been taken seriously since 2010 at least. FFWD 10 years and we're at the point where fearful, defensive managers like Emery sets his team up to attack us, and win.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby firfi » Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pm

aniym wrote:Who defines what's big or not? Fans? Players? Agents? Managers?

We aren't even a Europa League standard club as things stand. Chelsea has won that competition both times they've been it.

Chelsea fires managers often, but managers still go there because the club is a trophy machine. 7 in the last decade.

CL teams never take Chelsea lightly, even with their revolving door of managers. We on the other hand haven't been taken seriously since 2010 at least. FFWD 10 years and we're at the point where fearful, defensive managers like Emery sets his team up to attack us, and win.

I wouldn't go as far as 2010 , but yea its true we've been going downhill . However we're on the same financial terms pretty much with them now and its only about club management we're failing behind big time . With a bit of good management in as little as 2 years we can be back at TOP4 competing for the same type of players and titles.

I honestly don't see Chelsea challenging for the title(PL) any time soon nor do i see them purchasing players from any other top clubs.I have to think hard and look back way too many years to see when was the last time they poached a player from a big club. They just splash the cash on the smaller sides and buy smartly players. In fact i can't remember a single player after 2010 that they got and was considered a steal from a big club . There was Fabregas from Barca ,but he was past his prime and they wanted to get rid off him.

I'll also add that they got top4 by pure chance this season ,because Leicester f***ked up big time in the last few games.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk